Deck Lights for Night Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that the benefits of red light were found to be very limited when actually tested. Low level indirect white light is apparently the new red light.
This guy says the same thing, so he must be right! :idk: Night Vision - The Red Myth

Interesting link.

My experience with red light is short (2 yrs) pertaining only to night dives specifically to photograph Mandarinfish.

I have switched from Red to White with my Sola dive/focus light and the fish bugger off smartly, so perhaps fish eyes (not to be confused with fish eye lenses :wink: ) are physiologically different.

Back on topic, great work Akimbo.

Possibly dimmer LED lights may work well on the lift and transom area, a matter of experimentation I think to find out what works best.

What I would like personally whilst night diving from a boat would be some underwater lighting attached to the anchor line or even a stream of LED lights underneath the boat. When I lived in Jeddah many years ago I used a strobe attached to the anchor line of my friend's boat in order to make our return to the anchor (or mooring) easier, I also used the same method when shore diving at night to mark the entry / exit site and my float used to transport cameras and fins for the walk back from reef to shore.

You might take a look at these units http://www.gdsuk.net/Products/BluesSystem/BluesSystem_brochure_US.pdf

They are a professional unit rated to IP 67 (will stand 30 mins immersion at 1m) I'm not connected to the company in any way but I have used them on installations. The domes are poly carbonate - you can stand on them and they come in differing colours. The units themselves are 24v DC so no danger to people - obviously they are not meant to be submerged..

Edit: The pdf I linked to wasn't clear the website is here GDS - Global Design Solutions | UK | ArcSystem BluesSystem SMConsole

Don't be confused by the name Blue lights, that was the original colour (for working lights in theatres) Although a UK company they are distributed in the US by ETC would have dealers everywhere.

Would the light attracting fish be a bad thing? I guess it could get pretty crowed during the squid mating time in the bay.

On a recent tuna fishing trip - the underwater lighting did attract squid and that attracted larger sail fish and tuna traveling at excessive speeds to pickup those squid as a quick snack. Two things - we were "chumming" to get the tuna to follow the flow so that had something to do with the fact it was intentional to get the fish as close as we could get them and it was cool to watch the lightning fast reflexes of those big fish coming through the underwater lighting picking off those squid. But if I was diving - I am not sure I would feel the same way - seems like a potential dangerous scenario.
So - I have not done a night dive off the back of a boat with underwater night lighting but I am not sure that is the way to go... I am all for strobes - but take it for what it is worth.
Would like to hear the end result - Good Job.

I'd stick with white as I've not seen a problem with that on boats while night diving, eyes adapt quick enough for night diving. The position and intensity would make the big difference, making sure you have adequate light without having a direct beam in the eyes of the divers. Possibly dimmers or two banks of lights to control the light level. I think lights on structure of the elevator would be good, just check divers and handlers sight lines while operating for optimal light placement.

Bravo Zulu

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I would run two sets of LED lights under the gunnel that shine down and illuminate the deck. You can use one or two sets, depending on desired brightness level. It is very desirable to have the light levels LOW for the divers who are 2-3 minutes from splashing on a night dive.

As for lighting of the platform when the dive is over.. some sort of spot light that is mounted to the side, so the lighting is 90 degrees would be best to avoid blinding the divers trying to look up. At the end of the dive, the diver's eyes should be acclimated to low light levels, so you don't need super bright lights to get out.

Your question made me think of this recent video. At the start you see the low level LED lighting of the deck. In the video, it looks pretty dark, but your eyes are acclimated to the low light levels and the lighting is actually a good balance of being able to see and not ruining your night vision. (in other words, it is not as dark as the video makes it look).

[video=youtube_share;gl4YR3lhmyU]http://youtu.be/gl4YR3lhmyU?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

If the boat is hauled now, think about installing some of the blue hi intensity fishing lights in the transom like these: High Intensity LED Underwater Lights, Underwater LED Boat Lights | T-H Marine

For deck lighting, use the Halogen 500w marine lights from Aqua Signal Commercial Halogen Floodlight - Stainless Steel - 120 VAC/500W - Spreader, Deck & Floodlights - Exterior Lighting - Lighting - Downwind Marine but put 300 watt bulbs in them. That drops the intensity. You can't have too much light on the swim step.

If the boat is hauled now, think about installing some of the blue hi intensity fishing lights in the transom like these:...

She is on blocks right now completing a transmission overhaul. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of installing these lights on the transom below waterline. The current design calls for two lights mounted to the top of the lift, about 10' 8" off the water, pointing down at the platform. Would they overwhelm these lights?

These lights are pretty cool. I wonder if it would be worth installing some near the bow to help orient divers coming up the anchor line. This brings up another question. We are playing with ideas for a granny line between the stern and anchor line. Any suggestions appreciated.

For deck lighting, use the Halogen 500w marine lights...

That is a lot of lumens. It seems like too much light for a boat this small, no?

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

Thanks for all the kind words; I will pass them on to all the other volunteers. This is easily the most gratifying project I have ever worked on.

3 suggestions for for a granny line.

1. I (the DM) ties a 1/2" poly line to the mooring or anchor line at 30 feet down using a modified rolling hitch. 3 wraps up, 2 or 3 wraps down. float the granny line so that when someone jumps off the boat they can grab the line on the surface and use it to pull themselves down to the mooring. Use a small styrofoam float (longline peanut or #1 polyform ball) to keep the rope from going under the hull as the boat swings.

2. Tie your granny line off to a shackle adequate to drop the granny down the anchor line when on the hook. Use a piece of small stuff to prevent the shackle from going all the way to the anchor.

3. Use a North Carolina rig. I do not recommend this with new or adaptive divers. Tie your line in as above. Drop a weighted hang line down the midships bitt and off the stern. Clip the granny line to the weights. As divers drop off the stern, they immediately descend and follow the line to the mooring. The granny line doesn't get fouled int he boat, but you lose sight of your divers immediately, and if they have a problem, it's probably in the first couple of minutes of the dive.

The underwater LED's can be seen for miles underwater. If I didn't have an ABS inspected hull, I'd put them in in a heartbeat, all around the boat. With the halogens, as I said, the 300 watt bulb cuts down on lumens, and you can't really have too much light on the deck at night.

Red light to reduce night vision loss works for me. However, that was when I needed night vision. For night dives my dive light is white and with many other divers having bright white LEDs, night vision goes to crap anyway. The white deck light suggestions are spot on, IMHO.

The biggest loss of vision on a night dive comes when some yahoo doesn't keep track of his bright, high intensity LED light and shines it in your face while making some hand signal you can't make out to save your life.

Back
Top Bottom