Deckplans of the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrote the scuba program at Indiana University, and got this reply
IU has a drawing that will be used for production of an underwater guide
to the SG.... It will be ready for our May field study in the FL Keys.

So atleast we know someone's got a map. I didn't ask if it would be available to the public tho..

Check with Tilden's Scuba shop at Duck Key, when I was there a few months ago they had a large selection of waterproof cards that showed the basic layout of the Thunderbolt, Duane and SG and others. Not much on the internal ship... but depths, features, swim throughs and mooring locations. http://www.tildensscubacenter.com/

kensuguro:
I wrote the scuba program at Indiana University, and got this reply

So atleast we know someone's got a map. I didn't ask if it would be available to the public tho..

I'm diving with Silent World when I go down in Feb. I emailed Ric and he replied that he has a basic drawing with mooring lines, depths etc. He's on vacation til the 11th and said he'll send it to me when he got back to the shop. I'll upload it to my gallery and post here if it looks like it'll be of any help.
C-Dawg

genenaples:
Check with Tilden's Scuba shop at Duck Key, when I was there a few months ago they had a large selection of waterproof cards that showed the basic layout of the Thunderbolt, Duane and SG and others. Not much on the internal ship... but depths, features, swim throughs and mooring locations. http://www.tildensscubacenter.com/

No luck. Tilden's said the SG is out of their area and they do not have anything for it. They said the cards they have come from the Florida Marine Sanctuary and referred me to them. I made a few calls but only got recordings.

We just came back from 4 day's of diving the USS Spiegel Grove , got a ton of diving on her, and now I'm on-line searching for deck plan's myself to get down in her in more depth. I'm looking for detailed deck plan's of the ship, as were looking to get down to-ward's the engine room, etc, all though I heard they closed the engine room off.

I'm having trouble finding detailed deck plan's, so if anyone here does find some , please let me know, as we have another trip planned within the next few week's to get back down on her, and we are looking for in depth plan's, as we do alot of penetration on her, and looking to get further inside her, thanks

FLTEKDIVER:
We just came back from 4 day's of diving the USS Spiegel Grove , got a ton of diving on her, and now I'm on-line searching for deck plan's myself to get down in her in more depth. I'm looking for detailed deck plan's of the ship, as were looking to get down to-ward's the engine room, etc, all though I heard they closed the engine room off.

I'm having trouble finding detailed deck plan's, so if anyone here does find some , please let me know, as we have another trip planned within the next few week's to get back down on her, and we are looking for in depth plan's, as we do alot of penetration on her, and looking to get further inside her, thanks
I've done a lot of research online, trying to find deckplans to either the SG or other ships in the same class, and have come up empty. Liability issues seem to be the reason. If you get lucky and find anything, please share. I'm sure the rest of us that have posted on theis thread will do the same. Perhaps putting together tidbits of info we can build something of our own.
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
I've done a lot of research online, trying to find deckplans to either the SG or other ships in the same class, and have come up empty. Liability issues seem to be the reason. If you get lucky and find anything, please share. I'm sure the rest of us that have posted on theis thread will do the same. Perhaps putting together tidbits of info we can build something of our own.
C-Dawg

Sure will, I'm looking also for some detailed plan's as well for some of the other ship's as well in the area, Like the Dwain and the Thunderbolt, etc.

Do you know if anyone has made it down by the engine room, or the 4th deck below?

I talked with Ocean Diver's about the wreck,and they were saying the engine room was closed up, but not sealed, as the ship sunk 5 hour's prematurely, so they didn't get to weld it closed.

Another one were diving soon is the Northern Light's here in FL, which I dove before, and I'm looking up some info on her now as well, thanks !!

PS, I bought a slate of the USS Spiegel Grove, which i carried on the dive, from Ocean Diver's which showed the different deck's, etc

mike_s:
got a scanner or have a buddy that does? how about sharing that image with us?

It says on the bottom, This slate may not be reprinted, copied, or published without the written permission of the copyright author. Sorry, but to post pic's of the slate on public form's would be trouble, but you can contact Ocean Diver's In Key Largo , and I'm sure they would mail you one, once paid for.

It does have some of the image's and picture's with website addresses, here are a few that are on there :

www.fla-key's.com/spiegelgrove

www.kevinflatley.com/lsd-32.htm

www.spiegelgrove.com

www.floridakeys.com

Some of the Images were courtesy of Atlantis dive center and also Kevin Flatley

I haven't looked up the link's yet, as I am now going to check them out

FLTEKDIVER:
PS, I bought a slate of the USS Spiegel Grove, which i carried on the dive, from Ocean Diver's which showed the different deck's, etc

What part of Florida are you in? I'll scan it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom