Deco Dives With Liberal Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are quite a few issues about staged decompression diving that it doesn't appear you and your buddy have thought through. From narcosis, to gas reserves, to contingency planning for gas loss and missed decompression, it seems that there are a lot of factors about which you don't know a great deal. But you have indicated you will take a class, and that will remediate a lot of the knowledge deficit.

However, your question about the long term effects of doing staged decompression diving every day DOES have an answer -- google "dysbaric osteonecrosis" and read about it. A lot of the early cave explorers and early technical divers have ended up with permanent bone damage as a result of their diving. This is why profiles that attempt to control bubble formation have become such a central focus of technical training -- although, at present, I'm not sure anyone knows what the best strategy is across the board for avoiding bubbles. At any rate, you are taking a risk of long-term bone damage, to the point of requiring joint replacements, especially if you are diving air without accelerated decompression gases, and using Haldanian profiles.

so my question is, should i also be using a liberal computer if im doing daily dives with at least 30 min deco-stops , or should i continue to be extra safe with the computer i am using.

While I have no problem with using a recreational computer to handle recreational dives that turned into "accidental" decompression dives (although I have huge issues with the actual "accidental deco"), I never use a computer for a planned decompression dive, and go with a table printed on vPlanner and stuck to a wrist slate with clear packing tape. This gives you the opportunity to preview your dive, give it a sanity check and adjust the depth/time/conservatism as needed before getting in the water.

One of the last things you ever want to find is one diver's computer screaming "go up!" and the other diver's computer screaming "mandatory stop!"

A pre-printed dive plan, depth gauge and a timer (could be your computer in "gauge mode" if you like), gives you much more reliability and safety, and the ability to dive the same plan. It also offers redundancy, since even if yours fails, the wrist slate won't crash, and you can both share your buddy's depth gauge and timer.

Does daily dives with deco stops have any side effect for long terms ?

I don't believe anybody has a solid answer for this, but if you're doing them frequently, I would recommend doing them as safely as possible.

edit: I didn't realize you weren't trained for decompression dives.

At this point, I would recommend not doing any decompression dives without getting appropriate training.

On a deco dive, nearly all the Open Water safety procedures involving ascents and sharing air have the ability to turn into single or double fatalities. Without proper planning, training and equipment there are a number of situations where the choices become "ascend and die" or "stay here and die". Just because "nothing has happened" yet, doesn't mean it won't happen.

flots.

Last edited:
I do not think much else needs to be said, and its great that you have said you will look into persuing techincal/decompression training but just to add one thing with what your currently doing. Whats the plan if your computer dies right as you start your accent to the surface, and your seperated from your buddy? How much deco do you do, and at what levels?
Great question! Questions like this really solidy how much the average diver doesn't think about diving in an overhead environment before getting the training.
What if you your regulator free flows and your buddy isn't around, do you have enough backup gas to do your stops? Does your buddy have enough gas to do his stops if his regulator free flows?
How will you read your computer if you drop your mask and it floats down to the bottom of the ocean?
What if the battery on your flashlight dies or the light breaks?

---------- Post Merged at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I'm assuming there is a language issue at play. I'd further assume that he means they deploy a drop-tank @6m below the boat.

That still doesn't solve many problems - none that occur at depth and none that could occur away from the boat.

...which is why it isn't recognized as any sort of valid technique for decompression diving.

But that's ok,... because the OP "doesn't have problems" on his dives. Same as all the paraplegics and corpses who pushed their diving beyond the limits...
I took it to mean he would deploy his lift bag in case of emergency and the boat would send down the extra tank. In the meantime, he's holding his breath.
Sounds like an excellent plant to me. Snort.:reaper:

Great question! Questions like this really solidy how much the average diver doesn't think about diving in an overhead environment before getting the training.
What if you your regulator free flows and your buddy isn't around, do you have enough backup gas to do your stops? Does your buddy have enough gas to do his stops if his regulator free flows?
How will you read your computer if you drop your mask and it floats down to the bottom of the ocean?
What if the battery on your flashlight dies or the light breaks?

---------- Post Merged at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I took it to mean he would deploy his lift bag in case of emergency and the boat would send down the extra tank. In the meantime, he's holding his breath.
Sounds like an excellent plant to me. Snort.:reaper:

I also took it that it is in the boat and will be dropped in a emergency. I don't know much about deco dives but this sounds like it is a accident waiting to happen. I would like to get into some more advanced dives after I get the proper training and gear. There is nothing down there to risk my life over seeing...

thanks for answering guys!

I will look into taking decompression dive course.

Wowee--I thought this thread ended yesterday with the OP saying this. Glad I checked back.

if you look at this guys profile he is from Lebanon. probably diving to earn a living. his buddy has been doing this for 11 years and is probably his mentor. he probably has more dives in the last 2 yrs than most of the people reaming him on this board. I am sure some context is lost due to a language difference and cultural differences. bottom line, in my opinion he is probably not an accident waiting to happen but could use some knowledge and insight into safer procedures which is available thru training and/or SELF directed education.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

if you look at this guys profile he is from Lebanon. probably diving to earn a living. his buddy has been doing this for 11 years and is probably his mentor. he probably has more dives in the last 2 yrs than most of the people reaming him on this board. I am sure some context is lost due to a language difference and cultural differences. bottom line, in my opinion he is probably not an accident waiting to happen but could use some knowledge and insight into safer procedures which is available thru training and/or SELF directed education.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think someone's profile is anyway to judge diving proficiency, but since you brought it up...it says on his profile he has 100-199 dives...I wouldn't even close to count that as "more dives than most of the people reaming him". And even IF he has more actual logged dives than some, does someone diving unsafely 1000x's mean they are a better/more experienced diver than someone who is educated and safely dives only 100x's? I don't think so.

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Thanks for all who tried to help...i decided from now on to respect the 40 m limit and get a max of 10 min deco stop!

Yes i am from Lebanon and that doesn't mean that i do this for living! i don't know how did you conclude that!

The Tec40 course trains you for a maximum of 10 min deco stop, non-accelerated. That'd be an appropriate next step for you, given your ambitions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom