Deco for Divers by Mark Powell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my eyes this book is at present the best on the market, regarding that topic. It should be mandatory for instructors and I strongly recommend it for every advanced diver.

I rarely say it, but this book ranks as 5 out of 5 on my scale.

All divers seriously interested in decompression theory should read it.

As stated above, a lot of typos.

On page 133 there is a fault in the explanation of the oxygen window. The graph illustrating the text shows a reduction of ppO2 from 0.8 to 0.05 bar, but the text describes a reduction of ppO2 from 0.9 to 0.5 which results in the faulty statement "A drop of 0.3 bar between the arterial and venous systems." - a sentence that should read "A drop of 0.75 bar between the arterial and venous systems.".
0.75 bar corresponds with the illustration and the later sentence "…as compared to a drop of only 0.75 bar in the previous example.".
On the graphs 59, 60 & 61 associated with the text above, the labelling if the Y-axis is missing (should be "Oxygen content (ml)"). Missed labelling of the axis in graphs is by the way a common problem in the book.

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

Last edited:
This book was reviewed elsewhere on SB by Lynne earlier this year, but I just read the book and thought it deserved a mention in this new, dedicated review section. Very well written book covering a fairly complicated topic in a straight forward and easy to understand manner. Well, ok - a few sections I needed to re-read :)

Henrik

I am about finished with this, and it is an excellent read. I found several sections that needed a re-read and downright study. Well worth it if you care about how the deco of today came about, and how your computer works.

I really think this is a book that should be in the collection of any avid diver. Both educational and readable, and gloriously illustrated with Gareth Locke's beautiful photographs, it is really a great reference.

I strongly recommend this book for any diver considering Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures or really anything beyond basic recreational diving. I've found it to be invaluable to my continuing education.

Maybe a trivial point, but wouldn't it have been better to call the book "Decompression Theory and Physiology for Divers?" For people outside the scuba community, the shorter title "Deco for Divers" is perhaps too reminiscent of what an art appreciation book (art deco) might be called.

I was trying to get the e-book. Could not find it, not even for Kindle, nor iTunes, nor Google play books.
I'm already in a point of no return with e-books. If it's not in e-book format, no reading.

I have a signed copy.

And as an instructor I've been dissecting it and using it as learning aid. There is so much there that I can use to make deco theory clear to my own students..... Mark deserves a prize for this book. Period! I'm so grateful for his contribution.

R..

Back
Top Bottom