Deco tanks left and right v All left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or just turn them off?

I think we're potentially coming down to the functional difference of bailout vs. deco gas. I don't like your approach because it assumes that I'll be gas switching deliberately; which is often the case on open circuit. On closed circuit, I could be wedged into a tight spot on a wreck (in fact being wedged and compromising my loop is one likely scenario where I'll want to be able to get onto my bottom gas). If I can get the second stage in my mouth, and the tank is charged, I can get gas flowing because the inline shutdown is right there. I may not be able to get to the valve as quickly.

Your approach makes good sense for decompression switches, less for bailout scenarios.

jiminey christmas.

another 90s thread?! Colored tank markings and hoses? Sheesh!

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 03:31 PM ----------

i think we're potentially coming down to the functional difference of bailout vs. Deco gas. I don't like your approach because it assumes that i'll be gas switching deliberately; which is often the case on open circuit. On closed circuit, i could be wedged into a tight spot on a wreck (in fact being wedged and compromising my loop is one likely scenario where i'll want to be able to get onto my bottom gas). If i can get the second stage in my mouth, and the tank is charged, i can get gas flowing because the inline shutdown is right there. I may not be able to get to the valve as quickly.

Your approach makes good sense for decompression switches, less for bailout scenarios.

bov :wink:

another 90s thread?! Colored tank markings and hoses? :wink:

Bright colors share you? Or does it not fit into your "like a box" configuration :blessing:

There's an equipment solution ("failsafe") to a mental mistake problem that our team employs that serves two purposes. Having in-line shutdown valves on your deco/bailout second stages which are engaged on all but your bottom bailout means that a) if you grab the wrong gas at depth, you just won't get anything and b) you're unlikely to accidentally freeflow a bottle while scootering.

I like it as an insurance measure. YMMV

It's a solution I like and employ myself, mainly because of the scootering issue and because it solves the flooding potential on my M1s. I just wish the nice quality Omniswivel shutoffs were a bit shorter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom