Decompression stop for shallow dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, this thread was resurrected after two months of oblivion. Fair enough.

But's let's stay CIVIL shall we?

Needless to say, I have edited out some nasty comments and references to same.

Just a reminder from one of your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderators.

OK.. I see this is an older post and this is a bit off topic... but question from a newbie. There was mention of ascending horizontally instead of vertically. (Remember I am NEW!!!)

Why would you do this? what are the advantages or disadvantages of either position? Never thought of using my inflator to get just a tiny start on ascent (would certainly ease the concern of kicking coral), but understand the need for caution....

Thanks for all the thought provoking info...

AmyJ:
OK.. I see this is an older post and this is a bit off topic... but question from a newbie. There was mention of ascending horizontally instead of vertically. (Remember I am NEW!!!)

Why would you do this? what are the advantages or disadvantages of either position?

Amy,

Ascending while stretched out in a horizontal position, or ascending in the vertical position do not innately offer any advantage except this; in the vertical position it is easier to look above you for boats, people, etc.

Remember that the most important thing is to keep your ascent rate slow, and your bouyancy under control.

Cheers!

BigJetDriver69:
Ascending while stretched out in a horizontal position, or ascending in the vertical position do not innately offer any advantage except this; in the vertical position it is easier to look above you for boats, people, etc.
What are we trained to do in the event of a runaway ascent?
Flare. Get horizontal, spread out, and present as much drag as possible, just like a skydiver.

Why not maintain this position to help prevent a runaway ascent from beginning?

It is far easier to control your buoyancy in the horizontal position for most people (and me) as you are using your body's drag against the water column to slow you down. A parachutist does the same on a skydive if you watch.

I tend to turn on my back or go vertical just long enough to see what is above me and then back to horizontal. Otherwise the really slow ascent from the 10-15 ft. range to the surface is really not very easy. I treat hitting the surface much like a trained target shooter treats their weapon. They ease on the trigger and actually want to do it gradually enough that they are suprised that the weapon goes off. I my case I go up as slowly as I can manage (after having checked what is above first and trying to keep the boat in front of me) and try to be suprised when I ease through to the surface.

RichLockyer:
Why not maintain this position to help prevent a runaway ascent from beginning?

Because if you are perfectly horizontal, it's difficult to dump air as you ascend. If you can dump air while you are "horizontal", then you are not horizontal are you? I also have a fundamental issue with using breath control to ascend as you are filling your lungs, holding your breath and then waiting till you start to go up. Do that improperly near the surface and say hello to Mr AGE.

Also I know agencies say to flare, but I think I'd personally start dumping air first and the fastest way to do that is if you are vertical.

(Note this assumes you are diving under normal circumstances and haven't lost your weightbelt or other similar scenarios. Also, I know the proper position to deco is horizontally, but we are talking about ascending)

TX101:
Because if you are perfectly horizontal, it's difficult to dump air as you ascend. .........

Maybe for you it is.

detroit diver:
Maybe for you it is.

Hey! Nobody told me that by taking DIR-F you can ignore the laws of physics..

I stand corrected.

TX101:
Hey! Nobody told me that by taking DIR-F you can ignore the laws of physics..

I stand corrected.

This had nothing to do with the DIR-F class. It has to do with learning your equipment.

Obviously you've never learned to dive a wing correctly, or you wouldn't make such patently false statements. You don't know how a wing works, or where it's dump valves are. Your smack at DIR is only there because of your lack of knowledge and the fact that you are just plain wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom