Question Deep dive location in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baptizo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to do my Advanced Open Water certification, then deep specialty. Where do dive shops go to for the deep dives? The only place I know is Lake Travis. Are there any others?

I know some of the shops go to NM for the blue hole there, seen a few of them there.

I'm guessing some might do that on the MV Fling liveaboard to the Texas Flower Gardens.

BTW, I'm not an instructor, but I seem to remember that the deep dive for PADI AOW only has to be something like over 60 feet (confirmed: Advanced Open Water Diver | PADI). Not sure what depth of dive is required for the Deep specialty. Hopefully one of the instructors on here can chime in on those.

Canyon Lake near San Antonio also offers deep dives.

Ok thank you. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

yeah you can go 90-100ft in Lake Travis depending on water levels. You can also go on the MV Fling to the Flower Gardens for a much more enjoyable (and expensive) experience :)

You can also go on the MV Fling to the Flower Gardens for a much more enjoyable (and expensive) experience :)
Definitely more expensive than lake diving, but not a bad deal when you consider the number of dives and that the liveaboard includes your lodging and food for the time you are away also. Definitely on my U.S. diving bucket list. https://www.texascaribbean.com/

I agree, I have been 5 times and its always a great time. Crew is amazing, boat is well equipped and the food is great!

Canyon Lake / Lake Travis

at canyon lake, you'd probably be looking to get in at North Park--they have both a a platform and a car at around 90ft, that are marked and easy to find.....although I think Comal Park is my current favorite, with decent not too bad a walk, or getting in and out.

I'm guessing some might do that on the MV Fling liveaboard to the Texas Flower Gardens.

BTW, I'm not an instructor, but I seem to remember that the deep dive for PADI AOW only has to be something like over 60 feet (confirmed: Advanced Open Water Diver | PADI). Not sure what depth of dive is required for the Deep specialty. Hopefully one of the instructors on here can chime in on those.
The Instructor Manual says:
Depths
Conduct Dive One between 18 metres/60 feet and 30 metres/100 feet.​
Dives Two, Three and Four may not exceed 40 metres/130 feet.​
I teach it to 130 ft (dives 2-4) if at all possible. The whole point is to emphasize how fast gas goes away, and to try and give a taste of narcosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom