Question Deep dive location in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah you can go 90-100ft in Lake Travis depending on water levels. You can also go on the MV Fling to the Flower Gardens for a much more enjoyable (and expensive) experience :)
Even with water-levels very far (50+?) feet down, if you go to the middle-areas, you're looking at 180+ feet.

I assume it needs dry/semi-drysuit year around?
I don't know about Canyon lake, but in Lake Travis when you go to about 130ft, you're looking at about 55F water. 7mm with a hood might be doable but cold, and not something I'd do myself on a regular basis.

When I asked around here in Dallas, the shops pointed at Scuba Ranch in Terrell, just on the eastern edge of town. IIRC, they have a point where the depth hits 65 feet?

Also, Possum Kingdom is deep and has been used in the past for scuba training. It runs to 100', depending on upstream Brazos River flow. Drought years lake levels can drop several feet.

Deep Zone Acquatic Center is under construction.

They built a website.

Did they ever break ground on the facility??

But even if it existed, (and I'll stand to be corrected) you don't do AOW cert dives in a pool, regardless of however deep.

They built a website.

Did they ever break ground on the facility??

But even if it existed, (and I'll stand to be corrected) you don't do AOW cert dives in a pool, regardless of however deep.
As with most things, I treat it as vaporware until it actually launches. All I saw on their site was some cheap 3D rendering and a way to make reservations. Not sure the price or when they intend to open.

is Valhalla still open to the public?

Although you can do the AOW deep dive at 61 feet, that seems pointless to me. The truly important learnings in the deep dive, including especially the increased rate at which you go through air, require that you actually dive deep. I once talked with a student after the AOW deep dive, and we decided that the most important thing he learned was that he should not do any more deep dives until he got his breathing under control.

The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM will give you a maximum depth of 85 feet, which is deep enough to get what you want from the experience. (You have to stick the computer down by the cave opening to get that depth, though.)

The deep dive can be done near the Blue Hole in Rock Lake. The maximum depth there is 280 feet--at least, that's the deepest any of us have found, and that required pushing our computers into the silt. Unfortunately, that is on private property, and it has strict rules about access. For example, you have to be at least AOW already. Lately there has been a push to increase the requirements for access even more. I used to lead groups there, but I am only an occasional visitor there these days. I can, however, put you in touch with the person who took over for me if you are interested in the deep dive specialty after you complete the AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom