deep diving on the SS President Coolidge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I I could see this being a tremendous trap, with complacency rearing up to bite almost immediately. Warm and clear notwithstanding, I was still 150 feet down . . .

I think that is the problem.

I have dived that deep in the tropics on air (I am assuming you were not using a helium mixture since you did not mention it). I felt perfectly comfortable throughout the dive. It is a good thing that I was right next to our videographer for most of the dive--that way I can see on video all the stuff I don't remember seeing in person.

Narcosis can be like that. You feel just fine, sometimes even euphoric, but if something were to go wrong requiring you to make good decisions, or if you had the opportunity to make a bad decision ("I think I'll go check out that dark engine room over there--it should only take a second;" or "I see I have 500 PSI left. Cool!"), things could go really bad.

You also need to know how to do decompression stops, and you need to know how long and where they need to be.

Finally, you need to be sure you have enough gas for all of that, and that means proper planning for going that deep.

There is no question that a dive to that depth can be done, leaving you with pleasant (albeit incomplete) memories of a great dive. Or something else can happen.

I hope that by Nitrox, you mean air. If your diving EAN 32, your on the line as far as PPO2 is concerned. I'd be more worried about Oxtox than narcosis. :)

I am sure you are aware nitrox does not have to mean 32%

Did some 165' dives on the Oriskany using AL90's or 95's (can't remember which right now) and didn't notice anything different than the usual +or- 130' dives i usually do on ships.

I am sure you are aware nitrox does not have to mean 32%

Yes, I'm aware of that wedivebc; but other than air, Nitrox I and II are the most common mixtures of Nitrox.

(I am assuming you were not using a helium mixture since you did not mention it)

21/35 with 50% for deco. I don't go below 100 fsw without helium in the mix.

21/35 with 50% for deco. I don't go below 100 fsw without helium in the mix.

My reference was not to you--I know that is true for you.

My question was to the OP, and I confused things by starting my post with a quote from you (with which I was agreeing). I can see why one might be confused.

The OP does not mention helium, and the OP's profile does not mention any technical training. That is why I made the assumption.

Hi All,

I have recently returned home from an awesome trip to Santo with friends to dive the Coolidge. We took it slowly but eventually got down to about 57m on our last dive and made it down to the swimming pool.

I just have a question regarding the depths we were diving as it realy didn't feel like we were going that deep and a few people said to us that diving 60m in tropical water is just like diving 40m in cold water. Can anyone give a better explanation of this theory please as my friends and I are quite curious.

Thanks
Chels

Ahh just recalling fondly of my trip to Santo and doing the Swimming Pool on the Coolidge (what an incredible experience). AND it's not just the narcosis - does happen at 57m on air.

The difference between cold water and tropical diving is immense. The visibility on the Coolidge at 60m far surpasses that on a wreck on the English coast at 20m. Also add to the mixture elements like cold and current and you've got a very different diving experience.

I was told by the guides on the Coolidge that it is very easy to go down deep - some people go TOO deep too fast - because of the good viz and the relative ease of the dive. With so much to explore, it's not too surprising that people get very excited.

Oh how I could do with a return trip......:D

Yes, I'm aware of that wedivebc; but other than air, Nitrox I and II are the most common mixtures of Nitrox.

I am unclear why you would ASSume he would use a dangerous mix just because it is more common than some nitrox mix that might actually be safer? (at least from an oxygen perspective)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom