Deep Stops Increases DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
des Granges, not Workman. Good memory otherwise. Seems to be a common misconception that Workman did the USN standard air decompression tables. Those tables (USN Diving Manual 1959-2008) were calculated by Dwyer and des Grange. des Grange came up with the repetitive diving scheme. Workman used the Dwyer calculation method to add some exceptional exposure schedules.

Last edited:
The DecoList was a Usenet mailing list group, (how things worked before web forums) and it had many of the important researchers and scientist in deco at the time. Also senior training and other interested people too, on this list and all talking and working together. We keep an archive of most of the DecoList that can looked over here. It has loads of fascinating conversation on deco and tech subjects. But note two names who are missing from the list - Mitchell and Doolette. Yeah... that's probably why they don't seem to know the real history of VPM.

no, Ross, David Doolette posted on that list in 2001, just look it up. He's one of the very few deco scientists on that list (I also saw Michael Powell and Alf Brubakk).

Nevertheless I think there are some pearls of wisdom that the interested reader might enjoy to read:

Alf Brubakk wondering why some core VPM bubble model parameters are not realistic:
Re: Surface tension values - - - from Alf Brubakk on 2003-04-06 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

Bill Hamilton saying he just fooled around with these parameters and picked by feeling: gamma? from RW Hamilton on 2003-04-04 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

Richard Pyle on how he really ascends (he doesn't use "Pyle stops" and proposed the method only "to give divers something to think about on the way up"):
RE: methods to set deep stop depth from Richard Pyle on 2007-05-18 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

and last but not least, one rare gem of a non-obfuscated text by Wienke (though lacking a bit in etiquette):
MORE: The Dancing *Whooo-Ya* Masters from Brwswe_at_aol.com on 2002-03-08 (DecoList (2002))

no, Ross, David Doolette posted on that list in 2001, just look it up. He's one of the very few deco scientists on that list (I also saw Michael Powell and Alf Brubakk).

Nevertheless I think there are some pearls of wisdom that the interested reader might enjoy to read:

Alf Brubakk wondering why some core VPM bubble model parameters are not realistic:
Re: Surface tension values - - - from Alf Brubakk on 2003-04-06 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

Bill Hamilton saying he just fooled around with these parameters and picked by feeling: gamma? from RW Hamilton on 2003-04-04 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

Richard Pyle on how he really ascends (he doesn't use "Pyle stops" and proposed the method only "to give divers something to think about on the way up"):
RE: methods to set deep stop depth from Richard Pyle on 2007-05-18 (DecoList (2003 onwards))

and last but not least, one rare gem of a non-obfuscated text by Wienke (though lacking a bit in etiquette):
MORE: The Dancing *Whooo-Ya* Masters from Brwswe_at_aol.com on 2002-03-08 (DecoList (2002))
Thanks for posting that. I haven't seen that list in a long time.

Interesting ... a poll in 2004 produced the following. About 72% per the chart were using RGBM/VPM:
upload_2016-8-17_16-32-47.png

A 2016 poll on CaveDivers with 94 respondents shows about 86% using Gradient Factors and about 14% using a bubble model (<11%VPM). That's quite a swing. I don't know how representative the polls were/are, but interesting.

I suppose it was inevitable that when backed into several difficult corners on the VGE front you would just pretend it didn't happen and move onto something new.

So...

In 2008, the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) held a 2 day workshop called "Decompression and the Deep Stop workshop".

Correct. I think it is probably relevant to point out to the forum that you did not attend the workshop even though many of the things you have written about it in the past imply that you did.

It was chaired by Simon Mitchell (who was also an officer of UHMS at the time).

Incorrect. It was co-chaired by Peter Bennett, Bruce Wienke, and myself. I did chair the consensus session at that end, and was chosen for that role because I had no conflict of interest either in terms of commercial interest or published research directly related to deep stops. I'm not sure whether I was on the UHMS executive at that time or not, but I fail to appreciate the relevance.

Many of the worlds deco researchers and peers were in attendance. Much relevant data and reports of interest were presented. The nedu test was one of the reports under review. In the follow up questions, the nedu test received a great deal of criticism, for all the same reasons I have mentioned in these threads. None of the peers gave it a favorable comment.

It did not "receive at great deal of criticism" and little of the related discussion bore relevance to the "reasons you have mentioned in these threads". The question time following scientific presentations is for people to have points clarified. In asking related questions it can seem that people are being "critical" but the reality is that there was widespread admiration among the scientists present (with the possible exception of Bruce Wienke).

I want to make something very clear. All of Simon Mitchell's "growing list of evidence" that he claims today, was presented and discussed in this workshop.

No it was not. Most importantly, in 2008 the NEDU study was not properly published with all the related analysis around the profiles. The full technical report emerged in 2011. A lot of discussion of the study has taken place since then (just as it has on the technical diving forums) and there is now far better insight among my colleagues of the implications. In addition, I am aware of two further studies pending publication that will further illuminate the debate. I accept that you do not have knowledge of these at this point.

At the end of the workshop, there was a consensus discussion to resolve two summary statements (Simon Mitchell was chair): All of the consensus discussion pages are here:

2/ The Efficacy of a Deep Stop?

consensus_2.jpg

So there you have it. A peer review of all matters to do with deep stops and tests and data to date, resolved to the above.

This is an incomplete interpretation of what was actually a radical departure from widely received wisdom (that deep stops represented optimal decompression) at that point in time. For a start, the "conflicting evidence" in favor of deep stops was anecdotal only and not of comparable quality to the emerging evidence against, but this was never going to be reflected in the consensus for several reasons. The workshop had no formal decision making process, other than a show of hands among attendees. These attendees included many non-expert technical divers and representatives of instructional agencies who believed in, utilized, or taught bubble model decompression. The workshop took place when deep stop approaches were virtually at the height of their popularity. The consensus certainly cannot be represented as a objective evaluation of the evidence purely by scientists. Under those circumstances, just to get a consensus that there was "conflicting evidence" was a remarkable outcome. Even Bruce Wienke acknowledged this when he said:

"Just to give you my perspective on this, as a technical diver, not as a scientist. I can tell you that if you even say there is conflicting evidence now, this will cause a storm in the technical diving community. Because since Pyle stops the vast majority have taken this (deep stops) as fact for years now. This is going to be a big eye opener."

Thus, in the context of the workshop circumstances, and the era in which it took place, the "consensus" was not nearly as bland as you are trying to portray it.

If you read the consensus pages, you can see Simon obviously wasn't satisfied with the peer position in 2008.

You have tried to say this on the RBW threads before and got called out by Bruce Partridge (Shearwater) - who, unlike you, was actually there - for misrepresenting the truth. Other than preventing a deep stops supporter from canning the whole process when he could see that the consensus was not going to be a ringing endorsement of deep stops, I made no decisions that could be construed as favoring either side.

One person is not happy with the peer position, So he does an end run around the peer process. He has taken his preferences direct to the public, to forums, to youtube were he makes his personal preference statements known, without the worry of a peer review or a peer challenge in public.

Oh for goodness sake Ross. The "peer position" within the science community is that the NEDU study was an important and seminal piece of work. I am flattered that you attribute the improvements in knowledge and the practice shifts that have occurred over the years solely to me, but I prefer to acknowledge the scientists who actually did the studies. David is on this thread defending his work. So that makes at least two of us. I doubt whether Wayne Gerth has walked away from believing in his own study; nor the French team from theirs. I doubt that the Split group no longer believe they detected all those bubbles when using VPM, and I doubt that the wider diving science community sees it any differently, especially in the complete absence of any comparable evidence that bubble models are the optimal approach to decompression from deep dives.

Simon M

Last edited:
VPM-B was calibrated and checked to various points in ZHL-C and DCIEM 1994, both N2 and helium. VPM-B was also calibrated to match PADI NDL tables reasonably well.

Let me see if I understand: Are you saying that VPM-B was calibrated against other decompression models, but neither calibrated nor validated against experimental data?

I think all three base models where matched to experimental data - yes?

My mind is blown.

My mind is blown.
I'm just curious to know how one "properly" measures decompression stress. When I get the answer, I'll remember to forward it to Andreas Møllerløkken who AFAIK is still counting microbubbles.

It did not "receive at great deal of criticism" and little of the related discussion bore relevance to the "reasons you have mentioned in these threads". The question time following scientific presentations is for people to have points clarified. In asking related questions it can seem that people are being "critical" but the reality is that there was widespread admiration among the scientists present (with the possible exception of Bruce Wienke).

That stands to reason. That study was potentially slaughtering his cash cow. I suspect that this is why Ross seems to be having such a panic attack about these discussions too. As a general note to anyone reading: whenever you see twisted logic, ask yourself what interests are at play that could be motivating the writer to do that. Ross is not stupid but he appears to be trying to frame the discussion to keep vplanner out of a negative light. You're all addressing what he is saying. Try addressing why he is saying it instead and the discussion can move a step forward.

But ok.... Interestingly the NEDU study wasn't the first time we'd heard that bubble models were calculating incorrect shallow stops. This is what Mark Ellyatt wrote about his experiences trying RGBM on the first generation Abyss computer in (I believe) 2003:

I had used the RGBM algorithm many times before, both shallow (60-90m) and deep (120m-260m), contrary to Bruce Wienke's website I received DCS every time using the RGBM algorithm. Satisfactory results were obtained only after manually adding significant extra shallow decompression stops, usually in the order of hours of extra time. I have used the VPM a/b algorithms since they became available, also with similar results, only the version using VPMbE (2005) with maximum conservatism provides acceptable decompression times.

Granted Mark wasn't making the same kind of dives most of us are but due to the fact that his dives were that much more extreme, we have actual evidence that RGBM and VPM weren't calculating long enough shallow stops for at least this one diver and that when tested in practice they showed the same tendency that the Thalmann model showed in the NEDU study.... I met Mark at a conference in 2005 and asked him about this experience and he told me at the time that the deeper the dive got the worse they were. He suggested to me that using RGBM deeper than 100m was -- I won't use his words but suffice it to say that the gist of it was - "dangerous and unwise".

As as aside, I said above, "this one diver" but Mark told me in 2005 that other deep divers had experienced similar problems and had all gone back to using Bhulmann based algorithms. He mentioned Nuno and Pascal by name but he suggested to me that the *entire* community of extreme divers at the time (we're talking 2005 here) shared this stand point. I don't know any of the others so this is 2nd hand information to me and 3rd hand to anyone reading this so take it for what it's worth. In any event "this one diver" should be qualified.

The interesting thing about this to me is that the NEDU study seemed to suggest the same conclusion that had been reached a few years early by people trying it in practice.

R..

Please be careful with the made up implied accusations and propaganda. It's not about me trying to protect my income, because I get paid when people buy ZHL programs too. Divers need good reliable planning tools, and we make the best ones for 15+ years now.

This argument is about the truth of decompression in tech diving.

The tech world has been feeling its way along to create its own best practices. It left the man tested world of deco models a long time ago (late 90's). There never has been a proper trimix or rec / tech deco program for us to work from. Hence the growth of many different tech methods and models since.

It's true that a segment of tech training has over stepped the boundaries at times. That would be the DIR classroom. These people have at times, taken their own beliefs too seriously, and created potentially detrimental planning / dive practice techniques. Some examples might be "controlling bubbles on the first stop", "we make no bubbles", " 80%", really slow early ascent rates, eliminating last stops, S curves, and various others. All these can work OK within limits, but they can get you into real trouble if used wrong.

Another potential problem is the ad hoc Ratio Deco method. It's perfectly OK if used properly, but also can get into trouble if not used wrong.

Average depth planning - there is another one that can go wrong.

Those are the problem areas above that have caused issues in tech diving.

But VPM-B has none of those issues. Yet still VPM-B gets blamed for all that stuff above. Why?

FACT: Mitchell and Doolette have never publicly put the blame of those poor practices above, on where they originate. Instead they just blame it all on VPM-B and bundle all those problems on me. It's a lie, its a sham, its a disgraceful attack on VPM-B, because I'm an easy target.

And when the "decompression scientist expert" smoke clears, we see that the recommended plan, is almost, but not quite the same as a VPM-B +3 plan. Hypocrites !

This argument is about the truth of decompression in tech diving. Don't let the ambitions of a one sided doctor blow it all out of proportion.

Last edited:
Please be careful with the made up implied accusations and propaganda. It's not about me trying to protect my income, because I get paid when people buy ZHL programs too. Divers need good reliable planning tools, and we make the best ones for 15+ years now.

Oh, don't worry. I'm not implying. I'm saying it straight up. You have put a tremendous amount of effort over the years into vplanner and it's a unqualified success. Most people I know, even if they no longer use vplanner or VPM during the real-time part of the dive, still use it as a desk top planning tool. I do too.

You are, however, consistently coming across in these discussions like a mother bear protecting a cub. Your posts are argumentative sometimes to the point of being border line belligerent, you don't appear to be listening very well or answering straight forward questions with a straight forward answers and even when there is room to agree to disagree because there is a difference in interpretation you continue to attack.

Maybe that's your personality, but frankly, Ross, it's bad advertising. I don't know if it was an accident that you come across like that or what because we only know each other online and not very well but take it from me that this is how you are coming across. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it so take it for what it's worth and try avoid shooting the messenger.

And now we're on the track that this discussion should have been on the last X times it was had. Why are you communicating like this? Even in your last post you went at Simon and David again but playing the man isn't playing the ball and gets the discussion nowhere.

In my opinion.

Focus on the ball, would be my advice.

As for deco theory, it's all based on observation, guess work and making assumptions. It has been since Haldane was bending goats. We've been pretty darned good at making predictive models but no matter how you look at it some of the assumptions are slowly but surely being proven to be incorrect -- or at the very least aren't entirely correct. It means that model builders need to adjust their paradigms (slowly but surely) when confronted with new facts that help us fine tune our assumptions.

For Weinke it's too late. He's leveraged too deep on RGBM being a commercial success to untangle himself from that net and I'm sure he'll be willing to go down with the ship.

But you don't need to be on it when it does. You're not as irrevocably (and legally) tied to VPM so the question I would be asking in your position is how to take advantage of the connections you have with leading researchers in order to tune the algorithm to take these new insights into account.

The relevant question at this point in time (and we're almost 10 years on now so eventually someone has to ask the question!) "WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE". and I think a LOT of technical divers are waiting for an answer other then "in circles".

You can see that, right?

R..

And when the "decompression scientist expert" smoke clears, we see that the recommended plan, is almost, but not quite the same as a VPM-B +3 plan. Hypocrites !
Wow. We've come full circle.

This latest batch of 500+ posts started because I responded to your claim that VPM-B+3 was similar to a GF plan. I just pointed out the dissimilarities I see in this post.

The question still stands: for the dive shown in that post, what benefit is VPM-B+3 providing at the cost of a 30% increase in decompression stress when the diver surfaces? For me, 30% higher deco stress is not "almost the same".

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom