Depression?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that it is not a simple disease to treat. Often people struggle for years without even realizing that they are suffering from an illness. In most cases, there are a number of causes (genetic, situational, physical health, chemical imbalance), which can be difficult or impossible to separate. Which treatments are effective vary greatly from person to person. What works for one may be very different than what works for someone else, even if their symptoms are similar.

I have had what is diagnosed as chronic depression since I was a teenager, and possibly before. My mother also suffered from it, although she never sought help. After many years of suffering with it, my depression was finally "officially" diagnosed about 2 years ago. I was taking Celexa for a while, which helped at first, but then stopped helping. I also took Wellbutrin for a while, but it didn't really work for me. A little over a year ago, I started taking Effexor, which has changed my life. Although I still am down once in a while (as is everyone,) small setbacks in life no longer make me feel like everything is hopeless. Contrary to popular myth, anti-depressants do not make you artificially happy, the just hold back the unhealthy depressive reactions. I have used these medications in conjunction with therapy, and without. Personally, therapy has been of some help, but not much. For other people, it is exactly the right thing. Taking Effexor has eliminated all of my symptoms of depression, but a different drug/method/combination may be right for someone else.

The key thing is to keep looking for a solution, even after a few failures. This is probably the hardest part of treating depression, as depressives give up hope very easily. In addition, it is very typical for depressives to wait a long time before seeking help, or to never seek help at all.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like to know more.

Best wishes,
otter-cat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom