Descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I just think that the answer is better courses not more of them especially from the same instructor.

Well I don't know, Fgray might be onto the solution for insolvent dive businesses. I can see the new curriculum now;

How to drop to the bottom with an air tank- $99
How to come back up alive and unbent - $350
Peak buoyancy - $99
Peak buoyancy II -- $299
Buoyancy mastery (no sealife will be killed by the end of this class) -- $depends on student skill level

Wingtip once bubbled...

Well I don't know, Fgray might be onto the solution for insolvent dive businesses. I can see the new curriculum now;

How to dive sorta - $99
How to come back up alive and unbent - $350
Peak buoyancy - $99
Peak buoyancy II -- $299
Buoyancy mastery (no sealife will be killed by the end of this class) -- $depends on student skill level

Sounds like some LDS I know!:wacko:

Unfortunatly almost anyone can become an instuctor today.
Some of the divers I see with bad bouyancy are dive masters and Instuctors.
I personaly was lucky I found a outstanding one. I did 5 pool sections before I was happy with my own bouyancy. Then I took the extra course anyway. Just so I could completely understand all the small things that will effect your bouyancy. Most instrutors can't or won't take the extra time needed to do this. In a class with 6 people in your lucky to get 30 min of fin pivets and cross your legs hold your fin tips and hover. Then when the student are on there first open water they're more worried about the basic skills and if they do most of them kneeling on the bottom.
That's why I think the extra course is good. It gives them a chance to do one on one with the instuctor. Forces him to teach and by the time they're done the diver will be a better diver for it.
Instuctors don't have the time to spend an hour with each student to make sure they can have peak bouyancy. The part that made the most differance for me was peak weighting with an almost empty tank. I benefited alot from the course.
Not to mention lowering my SAC rate. My comfort level was 2X better. I think I paid $50 for the course. There were 2 of us doing it. It was worth every penny.
Just my opinion.
Fred

fgray1 once bubbled...
Me Too!
This is the only place were 2 people can have an almost intelegant discussion 1600 miles apart.
Take a minute think of something to say. You were probley a little cold. Spinel fluid running a bit behind. It gets thicker in the cold you know.
Fred

I think Fred should learn to spell before getting shirty, especially words like "intelligent" :D

Must suck being you.:wacko:
We can tell your new to the board.
I guess cause I misspell words makes my opinion invalid.
Guess I could use spell check just to make guys like you happy.
But then again making you happy is not a priority.
Coming from a guy in a country that still has a Queen says it all.
I want you to have a nice day.
Cheerio (oh did I misspell that):(

Let's not take it too personally here ... it's just a friendly difference in opinion. :)

Why are y'all blaming the certified divers for the quality of instruction they did nor did not receive (or received but failed to integrate)??

If you have good tips to answer their questions, offer them. Along with helpful tips, recommendations to receive additional training--either paid for from an instructor or free from diving with better skilled buddies--only make sense.

Unless all of your commensurate skills were obtained during your lengthy comprehensive OW course (yea, right!) perhaps you just no longer have a recollection of how green you once were and how many of the skills that WERE taught were not immediately mastered.

BTW--ALL of the tips given so far were right enough to get this diver going in the right direction. If he can get down and stay down, 3 pounds more or less will not matter RIGHT NOW. As his skill improves and his instructor or buddy points out that he didn't need quite as much weight as he had on during the previous dive, he can shed a couple and by then maybe be comfortable enough in the water to make a COMPLETE exhale at the surface to make a proper descent.

NEWBIES--dive, dive often, dive with those whose skills and safety consciousness you admire and watch them while you dive together and ask questions. Accept suggestions and criticisms. And when you get conflicting advice from 2 GOOD sources, that means you are in the land of opinion and you should try out both suggestions yourself as well as asking each diver why they believe one tip is better than the other one.

Have fun. Dive safe. Stay well within your training and comfort level while you build your skills!

theskull

It was warm and shallow....

Actually, I was with Chris Red at the pool practising some skills. She's getting to be rather proficient!

Did you get out? Man is it cold out tonight. Brrr....!!

Arnaud once bubbled...

Being overweighted is just as bad as being underweighted, no matter where you dive. Can't trade one for the other.

Maybe, you should try to remove those 3# and see how it feels. :)

I would need you to explain to me what is so bad about being overweighted by such a small amount.

Being underweighted has obvious possible consequences but a few lbs. overweighted (surface weight) has practically no real appreciable underwater weight and if properly trimmed the average person could never tell they had it on.

Kevin Parkhurst

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom