Destin Jetties??? April 11th??? Hellfish???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Jetty pictures, check out my gallery here on SB.

My album on photobucket has many pics from the jetties too.

The article I wrote about the jetties can be found here by downloading the back issue number four. The article starts on page 16.

Courtesy of SeaYoda

jsbm.jpg

Sexah!

I have decided to dive Saturday May 24th. I will be with another buddy and my wife. Anyone that would like to join us just pm me and we can exchange information. This will be our first time at the Destin Jetties so it would be great if someone experienced with the site could come along.

Since High tide is 1:00pm we will probably plan on entering the water close to 12:30.

I do have a couple more questions.

• What is the closest dive shop to rent a tank at?
  • I have attached a map and want to make sure we are headed in the right direction. I am assuming that we park on the side of the road where the green lime color is. I believe that we enter the water at “A” then swim to “B” & “C” then back.
  • What should we expect for a max depth?

DestinJettiescopy.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Scott

Question #1 Scuba Tech is right on Hwy 98, about a mile from the Destin Bridge. Emerald Coast Scuba is about a mile East of Scuba Tech. Scuba Tech will usually get you in and out pretty quick with fills.

Question #2 You are correct about the map. Be aware that parking can be a real "female dog" this time of year. There is only a small public parking area on the street. You may have to wait a while for a spot to open up. The walk is a real bear right now. They have recently put some new sand on the beach. My suggestion, walk straight to the water and get on the hard packed sand, walk on that the rest of the way. Try to take everything with you the first trip if possible.

Make sure you have a dive flag with you. Odds are, there will be other divers out there along with some commercial dive/snorkling boats. There is a metal box about a 1/4 of the way down the jetty that we tie the flags too. No reason to take them all the way out to the end. If conditions permit, when you get to the end of the jetty, head east for a short bit and there are much larger rocks/boulders that usually house some larger game fish. That is one of my favorite spots on the jetty that most people miss. Here is my favorite picture of me at this spot...taken by SeaYoda last year.
JettyRocks.jpg

Question #3 Max depth is usually between 50 to 55 feet. When I was out there a month ago, water temps were 70 degrees. Might be a few degrees warmer now.

I have to go to Mississippi on Saturday or I would join you guys out there. Hope you have a great dive.

I do have a couple more questions.

• What is the closest dive shop to rent a tank at?
  • I have attached a map and want to make sure we are headed in the right direction. I am assuming that we park on the side of the road where the green lime color is. I believe that we enter the water at “A” then swim to “B” & “C” then back.
  • What should we expect for a max depth?

Thats a great picture of you Glen, I don't think I've seen it before now.

The great thing about diving to me is...when I see a picture like that, it reminds me of exactly what I was feeling at that moment. Bill and I had the whole jetty to ourself that day (it seemed that way to me), the water was warm, visibility was great. We took our time while Bill took pictures, and just had a fun, leisurely dive. Whenever I have a hectic day, I look at that picture and remember the feeling I had at that moment...solitude, peace, serenity, and feeling at one with nature, all wrapped up in to one. Sorry if this sounds mushy, but those moments make it all worth while to me. To date, I think that was my favorite dive.

Great Bug Man, now you have got me all Vaclept! So, I am going to post some of my other pictures from that day at the Destin Jetties. I want to make sure people know, these are SeaYoda's pictures....but, they are MY memories....ain't diving GREAT!

glenjetty.jpg

glenswimming.jpg

Yep, it's a DORK FISH
glenbigrocks.jpg

Hey Bill, remember the fun we had with this File Fish?
filefish4.jpg

filefish3.jpg

Okay, sorry for Hi-jacking this thread to take a trip down memory lane! Thanks Yoda for the great picture memories! Let's go make some more.:D

Thats a great picture of you Glen, I don't think I've seen it before now.

When you say head east do you mean to round the south tip and go north up the east side of the rocks on towards the beach side?

Yes, exactly...your description is much more accurate then mine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom