Destin Jetties dive report 7/28/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the dates that I have to choose from. In destin next week. I have just learned that you generally want to dive just before high tide which you can see will not be possible unless I will be diving in the middle of the night. My local instructor told me given the tides on those days that the conditions will be sh*tty like 10 ft vis. Is this always true?

Date High tide Low Tide
Sun 8 5:14 AM CDT / 0.67 ft 6:37 PM CDT / 0.11 ft
Mon 9 5:59 AM CDT / 0.72 ft 7:23 PM CDT / 0.06 ft
Tue 10 6:50 AM CDT / 0.75 ft 8:11 PM CDT / 0.04 ft
Wed 11 7:44 AM CDT / 0.78 ft 8:59 PM CDT / 0.03 ft
Thu 12 8:37 AM CDT / 0.79 ft 9:47 PM CDT / 0.03 ft

av8er23:
Here are the dates that I have to choose from. In destin next week. I have just learned that you generally want to dive just before high tide which you can see will not be possible unless I will be diving in the middle of the night. My local instructor told me given the tides on those days that the conditions will be sh*tty like 10 ft vis. Is this always true?

Date High tide Low Tide
Sun 8 5:14 AM CDT / 0.67 ft 6:37 PM CDT / 0.11 ft
Mon 9 5:59 AM CDT / 0.72 ft 7:23 PM CDT / 0.06 ft
Tue 10 6:50 AM CDT / 0.75 ft 8:11 PM CDT / 0.04 ft
Wed 11 7:44 AM CDT / 0.78 ft 8:59 PM CDT / 0.03 ft
Thu 12 8:37 AM CDT / 0.79 ft 9:47 PM CDT / 0.03 ft
Viz can be influenced by many things like algae for one. Best viz depends on currents, storms, and strength of high tide among other things. When the push stops coming in and the bay water has not started flowing out is slack tide. This is the best time for viz, but these conditions are hard to predict. I've seen good viz before high tide and it get bad during the dive. I've seen bad viz at high tide that got better during the dive. I dive the jetties anywhere from high tide to 2 hours after to have the best chance at good viz and low current. I normally don't dive earlier than 7:30 a.m. during the summer, the light is not bright enough for me to take good pictures and I want the sharks to be full before I get in the water :D. I'm going to try to dive on the 12th if the weather is good. 8:30 a.m. is a great time to dive.

If you don't hit close enough to a high or low tide, the currents are very strong. You can forget about swimming against it and you'll be drifting too fast to enjoy whats going on around you. Speaking from experience :)

Going by the tide schedule you posted, I would be in the water no later than 7:30 a.m. . If the current is strong, hang on to the rocks - be sure to bring a pair of gloves. Get as close to the bottom as possible - it's easier to go against the current there. The currents are much weaker along the north side of the jetty. The stronger currents are at the point. Hope you have fun.

av8er23:
So could I get in trouble if i were to get in more like 10:00?
I would be very cautious about going near the point - by then the current could be flowing out pretty strong toward the Gulf.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom