Destin trip report 7/26/09 - Shoreline reef and Miss Louise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sladerer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got to Scubatech just after 7, picked up tanks and weights for me and the wife and a
full set of gear for my 17 year old. The 9 year old stayed with his brother and girlfriend
who were visiting from jacksonville. We boarded Sea Cobra about 7:30 and were
underway about 7:50.

First dive of the day was Shoreline Reef. Dropped in and hit the thermocline right about 30', but viz
opened up close to 50 once we got below that. Min temp was 75, max depth of 85' and dive time of
37 minutes (17 year old diving air). Here are a few pics:

PICT0067-f.JPG

PICT0085-f.JPG

PICT0073-f.jpg

Can someone tell me what this is?

PICT0091-f.JPG

PICT0075-f1.JPG

PICT0069-f.JPG

What type of cardinal is this?

PICT0089-f.JPG

Back on the surface we wait for "Jim, he's always the last up". We start talking and
he mentions "there's supposed to be some SB'er on board" - and that's how I meet Puffer.
He show's me a few pics from his dive (making me feel completely inadequate) as we head over to the Miss Louise.

A set of students suit up and hit the water while we let our SI break the 1:15 mark and then hit the water at 10:33.
Temp drops to 77 again around 25-30'. This time we send the 17 year old up at 30 minutes and wife and I log 54.
Viz would probably have been between 40 and 50 except for the 30 to 40 divers in the water :shakehead: -
Emerald Coast hits the wreck just as we do...

Pics from dive 2:

PICT0138-f.JPG

PICT0134-f.JPG

PICT0128-f.JPG

PICT0122-f.JPG

In honor of Puffer's quest...

PICT0104-f.JPG

What is this fish?

PICT0097-f.JPG

PICT0113-f.JPG

Thanks again to all those that offered advice during my prep for this trip. All in all we had
an awesome time. We got to experience PCB, Destin, and Pensacola/Gulf Breeze plus
I got to dive the Mighty "O". I'm certain we'll make our way back down here again.

Nice pictures.. love the jelly and sharp nose puffer... hate that I did not see the scorpion fish. Nice octo also.

Your unknown jelly is actually a comb jelly. This is not a true jellyfish; it is in a completely separate category with the scientific name of "ctenophores". One difference between comb jellies and true jellyfish is that comb jellies do not sting; all jellyfish do, although some may be so weak that they do not penetrate human skin. By the way, very nice photo of the comb jelly, as well as the other photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom