Devil's Throat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Maracaibo is a "deco" dive, but if you do it right you finish up in Maracaibo shallows and can still get 45 minutes of bottom time while making your computer happy. Top of the wall at Maracaibo is at 90 feet and there are ridges in the shallows at 50 to 60 feet. You do have to do a fair amount of time in a blue water safety/deco stop between 15 and 30 feet based on what your dive profiles have been during the week preceeding the dive.

Too many factors to go into here for this dive, but it can be done safely and enjoyable. Maracaibo is a beautiful pristine reef, but you do have to go deep to see it and the guide should know it well so he can plan it accordingly.

Three dive trips to Coz so far and I haven't been out to Maracaibo yet. Maybe I can manage next week while I'm there? Note to self: Go talk to Christi when you hit the island...

glbirch:
Three dive trips to Coz so far and I haven't been out to Maracaibo yet. Maybe I can manage next week while I'm there? Note to self: Go talk to Christi when you hit the island...

Incredible dive. You wont be disappointed. I had about 10 minutes of deco on my last one. I have never seen another boat on that site when I dove it. Its pristine. Have a great time. I will be diving it shortly. Woo Hoo

5615mike:
Incredible dive. You wont be disappointed. I had about 10 minutes of deco on my last one. I have never seen another boat on that site when I dove it. Its pristine. Have a great time. I will be diving it shortly. Woo Hoo

Well, enough of you guys have posted contradicting accounts that I think now that my experience there may have been atypical. Maybe I'll give it (and the dive op) another chance. I'll be there shortly myself.

Cheers,

"SPECIAL" dive...does that mean you have to take the short boat to get to it?

I wanted to do this dive this year, but it sounds like more experience is required. I would qualify as one of those "inexperienced divers" who kicks up silt. If our DM is OK with our experience level as a dive party, maybe we can do Maracaibo instead.

WarmGoingCold:
I wanted to do this dive this year, but it sounds like more experience is required. I would qualify as one of those "inexperienced divers" who kicks up silt. If our DM is OK with our experience level as a dive party, maybe we can do Maracaibo instead.
There are lots of good dives in Cozumel without pushing your limits by going to Maracaibo, Devil's Throat, Barracuda, etc. If you are still silting things up, you should just skip the advanced dive sites for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom