Devil's Throat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the best dives of my life was an aborted Devil's Throat trip. DM got in and said currents were undiveable. We went on down a little farther (south) and dived Maracaibo. If anyone tell you there's nothing to see and no marine life down deep, DON'T believe them! Try Maracaibo.

steve2281:
One of the best dives of my life was an aborted Devil's Throat trip. DM got in and said currents were undiveable. We went on down a little farther (south) and dived Maracaibo. If anyone tell you there's nothing to see and no marine life down deep, DON'T believe them! Try Maracaibo.

Well, I did. It was a 154' max dive, a bit into deco, and we spent 90% of the dive getting down and getting back up. We only had about 5 minutes on the reef, and we didn't see anything that we couldn't have seen at Palancar or Colombia.

I can say I did it, but I doubt I'll be going back.

ggunn:
Well, I did. It was a 154' max dive, a bit into deco, and we spent 90% of the dive getting down and getting back up. We only had about 5 minutes on the reef, and we didn't see anything that we couldn't have seen at Palancar or Colombia.

I agree..and it never fails we get on the boat and someone always wants to go there. I never ask to go but somehow end up going every trip...Last year was the first time I didn't dive the site. I guess that is because there were only 3 of us on the boat most of the week and we had all come to Coz together.

lundysd:
Longshot I know, but does anyone have the video mentioned in this post? It sounds like a heckuva ride and something everyone who drift dives in areas like Devil's Throat should watch. If someone can send it to me I will post a link for download. Thanks

Dive Safely,
Scott

Actually it's one anyone who ever plans to get in salt water should watch!

Gary D on this board took the video and has the copyright. Whatever you want to have done with it HAS to have his blessing! AFAIK it's only in VHS format. I have a copy from the trip video but not the hardware to convert it to digital format.

FT

ggunn:

154'??? I have done that dive 4 or 5 times and never below 132'. How in the world did you get to 154'?

5615mike:
154'??? I have done that dive 4 or 5 times and never below 132'. How in the world did you get to 154'?

Where they took us, the top of the reef was at about 135'. We got down to it and cruised along the wall a little ways down from the top (154'), and we stayed shallower than most of the group. It was a long rough boat ride, a long trip down to the reef, only about 5 minutes at depth, a long time coming up waiting for my computer to clear deco, and nothing to see that we couldn't have seen at Colombia. Give me Palancar any day.

ggunn:
Where they took us, the top of the reef was at about 135'. We got down to it and cruised along the wall a little ways down from the top (154'), and we stayed shallower than most of the group. It was a long rough boat ride, a long trip down to the reef, only about 5 minutes at depth, a long time coming up waiting for my computer to clear deco, and nothing to see that we couldn't have seen at Colombia. Give me Palancar any day.

Maracaibo is a "deco" dive, but if you do it right you finish up in Maracaibo shallows and can still get 45 minutes of bottom time while making your computer happy. Top of the wall at Maracaibo is at 90 feet and there are ridges in the shallows at 50 to 60 feet. You do have to do a fair amount of time in a blue water safety/deco stop between 15 and 30 feet based on what your dive profiles have been during the week preceeding the dive.

Too many factors to go into here for this dive, but it can be done safely and enjoyable. Maracaibo is a beautiful pristine reef, but you do have to go deep to see it and the guide should know it well so he can plan it accordingly.

One of the most peaceful and beautiful dives I have ever been on was at Maracaibo. I made the dive with Christi and her DM Pedro. We went down the the top of the reef and then when everyone was ready we went over the wall. The things that I seen down there can not be seen on Columbia or Palancar. There are trees down there that look like christmas trees growing along the wall (some 6 or 7 feet tall) that are simply remarkable.

We did have to take some time coming up and we did that on the shallows (60 to 80 feet) then we proceeded on up through the saftey stops and everyone cleared deco and again I will say this was one of the most memorable dives that I have been on. Everything down there is virgin to humans, it is clean and the colors are outstanding.

WOW What a dive.

FredT:
Actually it's one anyone who ever plans to get in salt water should watch!

Gary D on this board took the video and has the copyright. Whatever you want to have done with it HAS to have his blessing! AFAIK it's only in VHS format. I have a copy from the trip video but not the hardware to convert it to digital format.

FT
I know Gary and I also have the video conversion hardware/software. I'll contact him and see if he's interested in having me convert for internet/download, and if so, post it.

Christi:
Maracaibo is a "deco" dive, but if you do it right you finish up in Maracaibo shallows and can still get 45 minutes of bottom time while making your computer happy. Top of the wall at Maracaibo is at 90 feet and there are ridges in the shallows at 50 to 60 feet. You do have to do a fair amount of time in a blue water safety/deco stop between 15 and 30 feet based on what your dive profiles have been during the week preceeding the dive.

Too many factors to go into here for this dive, but it can be done safely and enjoyable. Maracaibo is a beautiful pristine reef, but you do have to go deep to see it and the guide should know it well so he can plan it accordingly.

Christi, yes. That is what I was thinking as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom