Devil's Throat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredT:
I didn't find it either. The forum archive sections seems not to have been converted to the new format yet. I'll ping on Eddie to see if that data is still available.

Dee, who helps moderate this board, is the one that compiled the videos. I have a VHS tape of it put together after the trip, but I don't remember ever seeeing it online. Pinging on her may result in a digital version, or permission to translate the video tape to digital.

FT

I've got the Dive from Hell report from diverlink saved on another computer. I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow.

I was with the diverlink group that got caught up in the The Dive from Hell. Fortunately for me, I was not diving because I was leaving the next day. It still was a somber moment to know that 5 people you had spent the week with were now going to be spending time in the chamber.

DiverG

Yes, as you can read in post #2 of the thread at----> http://www.scubaboard.com/t53479.html, there are two chambers, Hiperbarica de Cozumel & SSS/Buceo Medico Mexicano.

I would not consider the conjecture of a dive group and 2 dive shops on Coz as authoritative, and therefore do appreciate that you have written to DAN. Looking forward to their reply.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Doc,
At the time the chamber operators informed the 2 MDs who were among the chamber riders they had the worst dive accident re the number injured on a single dive so far. It has been 4 years since the incident so some other group could have gotten hit worse by now.

The point of the posts at the time were not that The Throat had undue dangers but that any place with a wall, or bottom deeper than a diver would want to go and a potential for a heavy current could be a setup for a downcurrent. Divers should be aware of surface conditions that indicate a downcurrent is possible and take appropriate action, like not getting off the boat! The dive should have been called before it even started and the group taken to any other site a mile or so away. Two divers, each with over 30 years diving experience, reported "unusual" surface conditions before the dive. Hindsight is 20-20, as always.

FT

FredT:
The point of the posts at the time were not that The Throat had undue dangers but that any place with a wall, or bottom deeper than a diver would want to go and a potential for a heavy current could be a setup for a downcurrent. Divers should be aware of surface conditions that indicate a downcurrent is possible and take appropriate action [...] Two divers, each with over 30 years diving experience, reported "unusual" surface conditions before the dive. Hindsight is 20-20, as always.

So what ARE those surface conditions of which we should all be aware? Saying that I should be on the lookout for something but not telling me what that something is does not help me very much.

1. Converging currents. Water has to go somewhere in those conditions. Usually it's down.
2. Sea surface conditions not consistant with the wind field. Current changes will cause rapid changes in wave shape along the current boundary. This is what was observed before the DFH.
3. A "dynamic" weed line where the individual floating particles are moving rapidly with respect to each other. Please note that ANY weed line should be considered dynamic until it is proved otherwise. Converging currents are what CAUSE weed lines, but they tend to persist in calm sea conditions after the currents dissipate.

FT

pm3009:
Hi George

Oh, I wasn't blaming the DM at all. I loved the DM and am diving with him again on this trip to Cozumel. I am GLAD that we went, but we were two complete newbies at diving, (our certification dives were with this DM's instructor earlier that week) and I didn't even know anything about the dive site Devil's Throat. I didn't know then, what I know now, and placed complete trust in the DM's decision on which sites he was bringing us to. I didn't feel it was over my head when I dove it, but I am bringing my girlfriend to Cozumel in a few weeks, and she just finished her certification and certification dives this week, and I would NEVER consider bringing her to Devils Throat as a brand new diver!!! Again, the DM dove privately with my cousin and I all week, and saw how we handled progressively deeper and deeper dives, and saw that we were both relaxed, comfortable divers, otherwise, I'm sure he would have never taken us there. We didn't request that site, we knew nothing about it. But I'm well aware, that just because we were relaxed divers, and doing GREAT for brand new divers, we were still just that....brand new divers. Could we have handled an emergency in an overhung environment that deep? I'm glad we didn't have to find out.
Bye
Pam
Pam, Glad you feel that confident about your diving skills, still don't push it. Take it slow. Going that deep is over rated anyway. Yeah it's a great site for swim throughs, but don't you enjoy the Marine life and all the awsome colors of the Coral Reefs ? I don't know but that's where it's at as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the deep dives, get itout of your system if you will, but remeber you are a novice diver and you do have limitations. Be careful of your girlfiend too now. She may not be at your skill level yet. Will you be able to be a good buddy for her ? Will she be able to be a good buddy for you ? Stuff to ponder my dear.:crafty: Good Diving & Good Viz, George

I agree, not much to look at that deep, but it's a fun to do one dive like that out of a weeks worth of dives.
And no, I wouldn't take my girlfriend on any dives that might freak her out, make her nervous, endanger her, or just plane scare her so that she never wants to dive again. One good thing....she just did her open water dives last weekend in South Carolina, and the ocean was very rough both days, very strong currents, and her brand new BCD that she bought from that shop, failed (continuously filling while they were 45 feet down). I was proud of her for not panicking. VERY different from my certification dives in Cozumel that's for sure! Good experience for her.
Bye
Pam

Scuba-Rican:
Pam, Glad you feel that confident about your diving skills, still don't push it. Take it slow. Going that deep is over rated anyway. Yeah it's a great site for swim throughs, but don't you enjoy the Marine life and all the awsome colors of the Coral Reefs ? I don't know but that's where it's at as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the deep dives, get itout of your system if you will, but remeber you are a novice diver and you do have limitations. Be careful of your girlfiend too now. She may not be at your skill level yet. Will you be able to be a good buddy for her ? Will she be able to be a good buddy for you ? Stuff to ponder my dear.:crafty: Good Diving & Good Viz, George

pm3009:
I agree, not much to look at that deep, but it's a fun to do one dive like that out of a weeks worth of dives.
And no, I wouldn't take my girlfriend on any dives that might freak her out, make her nervous, endanger her, or just plane scare her so that she never wants to dive again. One good thing....she just did her open water dives last weekend in South Carolina, and the ocean was very rough both days, very strong currents, and her brand new BCD that she bought from that shop, failed (continuously filling while they were 45 feet down). I was proud of her for not panicking. VERY different from my certification dives in Cozumel that's for sure! Good experience for her.
Bye
Pam
You're right in all aspects Pam.:wink: Very good points made too. You seem to understand that safety is paramount and that you would never endanger your buddy or scare her off from such a wonderful and fulfilling sport by freakin her out. Have fun and enjoy all that the ocean has to offer. That was great training for her by the way. She'll be ready for Coz, that's for sure. Good Divin & Good Viz, George

Thanks George. Can't wait to go back to Coz in 5 more weeks!! Take Care. Pam

Scuba-Rican:
You're right in all aspects Pam.:wink: Very good points made too. You seem to understand that safety is paramount and that you would never endanger your buddy or scare her off from such a wonderful and fulfilling sport by freakin her out. Have fun and enjoy all that the ocean has to offer. That was great training for her by the way. She'll be ready for Coz, that's for sure. Good Divin & Good Viz, George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom