Devil's Throat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boosted:
Thanks for all the info guys...you've been a big help as usual. We're leaving on the 26th and back on the June 2nd. I look forward to sharing my first "trip report" with all of you

Boosted, your Profile doesn't say anything about your training and number of dives logged...? :06:

Yes, you can expect to pay an extra $15 each for the extra fuel for the "Fast Boats" it takes to get you there and back for lunch, as well as extra time for the crew. Quite reasonable.

My group was mixed, so we took extra Dive Guides. The more experienced were taken thru in groups of 6, while the less experienced were lead on a shallower dive on the reef. Not so sure the "shallow" dive went as planned, though; macho Cozumel dive guides. And if you do the throat, do carry at least one light each.

In years past, anything past Columbia [including Punta Sur) was considered a multi-level computer dive where the shops would only take experienced divers with more than 50 dives under their belt since these reef areas are deeper profiles located farther from the island shoreline and the currents can run funky sometimes.

Currently, with more new shops, the "in house" rules vary from place to place ~ but it sounds like Dive House is still adhering to the "old school" theory of keeping those southern dive sites a bit special for the more skilled dive set. The Marine Park also has restrictions in place for these dive sites which requires a higher DM to diver ratio for safety reasons.

If you want to be sure you get to dive Punta Sur or something more southerly, advise your dive shop that this is your objective early on [not the day you want to go] so this way they can be checking their other divers for desire and skill level and can put together an appropriate group to go to the sites farther south.

Punta Sur is a great dive if done well with experienced divers who do well with their air and managing the dive continuously with their computer. I've taken experienced divers there as a DM before and done a 9 minute dive due to divers going low on air. Contrast that with going other times and doing 1:20min. multi-level dive of the entire area with other experienced divers, good with air and profile management. It is a great dive site so add it to your list of "must do's"!!

I just got back from my first trip to Coz on Sunday night. I'll post a complete trip report once my luggage is retrieved, airline lost it, found it, buddy has it now.

Anyways, I dove with Dive House for 5 days of 2-tank AM dives. The DMs were pretty good after the first day in acknowledging who were the more experienced divers and letting us do our own thing, descend right after we jumped in the water, etc. When asked on Day 2 and Day 3 where we wanted to dive, we said Columbia Wall, but the DM wouldn't allow it due to the newbies on board. After the Day 3 dives were done, this really experienced diver on board went up to the Dive House manager and demanded that we go to Columbia Wall the next day or she was going to a new dive op. It worked wonders as we dove Columbia the next morning with only 6 divers on their huge cattle boat. It's a great dive, although I didn't notice what the big fuss about not wanting the less experienced divers to do it. I only hit 98 feet, and the current wasn't that strong compared to other sites.

While talking to the DM, he said they normally don't do Punta Sur/Devil's Throat because it's so far and they normally don't have all experienced divers at any one time.

I wasn't disappointed that I didn't get to dive the Devil's Throat, my buddy that I went on the trip with is a pretty new diver and I certainly wouldn't want him to do that dive on this trip.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Scuba-Rican:
Punta Sur - Over rated in my opinion. yes it's fun to dive w. experienced divers, not newbies. Stirring up of sand and being behind them is no fun. Palancar and Columbia are better.

We didn't do the Throat, but we did the Cathedral at Punta Sur when I was there last week. Now, that's a great dive, IMO.

My first Dive trip was to Cozumel, and we did our certifcation dives the first two days. Towards the end of the week, we dove Devils Throat and we both LOVED it. I always thought that was kind of crazy for a DM to take two brand new divers to such a deep dive (maxed out at 133 feet) in an overhung environment, but it was just my cousin, myself and the DM, and by the end of the week, he felt comfortable with our diving abilities. It was just the three of us all week long.
Had we been a larger group, I doubt he would have taken us there. He was able to keep an eye on us, and we were both relaxed divers, even though we were new, and both did fine. Still don't think it was a wise thing to do on the DM's part, but I'm glad that we got the opportunity to dive it. No sea life to look at, but I LOVE swimthroughs, and the white coral cross in the cavern was so cool to see. Fell in love with diving in Cozumel. Since Cozumel 3 years ago, we've logged 80+ dives and both got our advanced certifications. Have gone on to dive in Bonaire, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Aruba. Going back to Cozumel in July!! Happy Diving. Pam

pm3009:
My first Dive trip was to Cozumel, and we did our certifcation dives the first two days. Towards the end of the week, we dove Devils Throat and we both LOVED it. I always thought that was kind of crazy for a DM to take two brand new divers to such a deep dive (maxed out at 133 feet) in an overhung environment, but it was just my cousin, myself and the DM, and by the end of the week, he felt comfortable with our diving abilities. It was just the three of us all week long.
Had we been a larger group, I doubt he would have taken us there. He was able to keep an eye on us, and we were both relaxed divers, even though we were new, and both did fine. Still don't think it was a wise thing to do on the DM's part, but I'm glad that we got the opportunity to dive it. No sea life to look at, but I LOVE swimthroughs, and the white coral cross in the cavern was so cool to see. Fell in love with diving in Cozumel. Since Cozumel 3 years ago, we've logged 80+ dives and both got our advanced certifications. Have gone on to dive in Bonaire, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Aruba. Going back to Cozumel in July!! Happy Diving. Pam
Well Pam, glad you had fun BUT, don't blame the DM for taking you there. It was your responibility to know that you shouldn't have gone that deep with your lack of experience. If something would have happened to any of you I bet you would have blamed the DM for taklng you there. Currents in Cozumel are no joke. I have seen them change in a blink of an eye. It is a divers responsibility to know his /her limitations. Have a great time diving but know your limitations and be accountable for them as well. be responsible.Good Viz, George

I went there in April 04 and didnt find it that hard , but two of the days the group I went with had Pretty good current , last day had like a cross current, which they said was usual for this area.
main reason as others stated it is farthure out also one of there deeper dives , and its cozumel number one DCS site .

Hi George

Oh, I wasn't blaming the DM at all. I loved the DM and am diving with him again on this trip to Cozumel. I am GLAD that we went, but we were two complete newbies at diving, (our certification dives were with this DM's instructor earlier that week) and I didn't even know anything about the dive site Devil's Throat. I didn't know then, what I know now, and placed complete trust in the DM's decision on which sites he was bringing us to. I didn't feel it was over my head when I dove it, but I am bringing my girlfriend to Cozumel in a few weeks, and she just finished her certification and certification dives this week, and I would NEVER consider bringing her to Devils Throat as a brand new diver!!! Again, the DM dove privately with my cousin and I all week, and saw how we handled progressively deeper and deeper dives, and saw that we were both relaxed, comfortable divers, otherwise, I'm sure he would have never taken us there. We didn't request that site, we knew nothing about it. But I'm well aware, that just because we were relaxed divers, and doing GREAT for brand new divers, we were still just that....brand new divers. Could we have handled an emergency in an overhung environment that deep? I'm glad we didn't have to find out.
Bye
Pam

Scuba-Rican:
Well Pam, glad you had fun BUT, don't blame the DM for taking you there. It was your responibility to know that you shouldn't have gone that deep with your lack of experience. If something would have happened to any of you I bet you would have blamed the DM for taklng you there. Currents in Cozumel are no joke. I have seen them change in a blink of an eye. It is a divers responsibility to know his /her limitations. Have a great time diving but know your limitations and be accountable for them as well. be responsible.Good Viz, George

I endeavor to keep up with DCI stats on Coz and it isn't that easy even given good medical contacts on the island.

As such, I'd very much appreciate your source for the statement, "and its cozumel number one DCS site."

Thank you.

DocVikingo

that came from the dive group and two other dive shops they stated that this spot was there most site for DCS , I have sence tried several other sources other than the shops noone wants to say anything go figure , well i have contacted DAN and waitting for there info from there chamber , but if I remember right there another chamber there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom