Devil's Throat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swim2mi:
I got to dive "Punta Sur" aka Devils Throat with Dive House...we were surcharged $15 for the extra fuel cost.
Wow, earlier I said I know nothing about Dive House. Now I know all I need to to stay far away from them.

Thanks for all the info guys...you've been a big help as usual. We're leaving on the 26th and back on the June 2nd. I look forward to sharing my first "trip report" with all of you

Did the dive last week. IMO an outstanding dive. My wife said it was her favorite dive to date.........until we did Columbia Shallows. Wanted to do that dive for about 5 years and finally did. It's a no miss from now on.

We had 5 experienced divers on a small boat. 38 minutes with max depth of 129. Deco for about 7 minutes. Had a great time but as mentioned earlier, not for a beginner or even entry level intermediate.

Was at 125' when I came out. DM said before hand that some ppl. get hung up (psychologically) when they had to go down over the ledge then go up under the "lip". I didn't have any problem, but ppl. are different. I helped the lady in front of me get her octo. that was dragging (bad config.) unhooked from crevice in one of the tunnels. I dove it in the latter part of the week of my first ow trip after certification. Didn't know any better, thought that was just the way diving was done. Now I know. :D

We did ladder deco. on the way up. No one had any major problems, but with the overhead environment and depth I wouldn't recommend it for a first-timer. Too much "could" go wrong in the enclosed environment. How do you say "Proper training and experience"?

But I had a heck of a good time! Love Barracuda and San Juan too, talk about flying!!!

I'd be interested in what op wouuld take someone just out of OW into Devil's Throat. I sure wouldn't ever want to dive with them.

Rich Hagelin

sealskin98:
Was at 125' when I came out. DM said before hand that some ppl. get hung up (psychologically) when they had to go down over the ledge then go up under the "lip". I didn't have any problem, but ppl. are different. I helped the lady in front of me get her octo. that was dragging (bad config.) unhooked from crevice in one of the tunnels. I dove it in the latter part of the week of my first ow trip after certification. Didn't know any better, thought that was just the way diving was done. Now I know. :D

We did ladder deco. on the way up. No one had any major problems, but with the overhead environment and depth I wouldn't recommend it for a first-timer. Too much "could" go wrong in the enclosed environment. How do you say "Proper training and experience"?

But I had a heck of a good time! Love Barracuda and San Juan too, talk about flying!!!

richhagelin:
I'd be interested in what op wouuld take someone just out of OW into Devil's Throat. I sure wouldn't ever want to dive with them.

Rich Hagelin

Yup, that thought crossed my mind later also.

There was a week of observation by the op. and I was there with my instructor and other very experienced divers that I dove the week with. But still...upon reflection....

Sometimes I wonder how I survived my childhood years.

It's a fun dive IF you and those you are diving with have the experience. We drifted downcurrent to the opening in the top of the seamount at about 100'. The "throat" winds down and exits you at 125'. We ascended a bit, entered another tunnel, and wound up back near where we'd began. It was a fun dive but, frankly, there's not a lot to see and the depth makes it a short dive.

I DEFINATELY wouldn't do this dive as a beginner ... I saw beginners all in a line, kicking up great quantities of sand, eliminating all visibility for those behind them. This lead to rapidly increased breathing rates in divers who weren't that good to begin with. They got out ok, but the divers were obviously quite scared and, if any of them would have had an issue such as an entanglement, etc., I shudder to think of the result. I heard them referring to it over beers later as "The Devil's ***hole," which tells me they were pretty un-nerved by the dive.

The dive was close to the Palancar Caves which, to my mind, was a FAR better dive than the Devil's Throat. The dive doesn't have to be as deep so it lasted much longer, there are loads of fun swim-throughs and great sea life (we got up close to eagle rays, sea turtles, with 1' of a large barracuda, octopus). I'd have to say it was the best dive I've ever done and I wish I'd skipped Devil's Throat and done Palancar Caves twice. Of course, then you can't wear the "Devil's Throat" T-shirt as a trophy.

Have a great trip!

Punta Sur - Over rated in my opinion. yes it's fun to dive w. experienced divers, not newbies. Stirring up of sand and being behind them is no fun. Palancar and Columbia are better. Dive house charging extra to go to The Throat ? That's a first and I've been there 5 times now. Like I said, Palancar, Columbia, even Tormentos can be fun. Hand out over the wall to your left and you'll see so much marine life that you will be tempted to go deeper, but don't, it will be your 2nd dive of the day and the currents there can be tricky and strong there. Have a great time. Good Viz, George

Don't forget Santa Rosa wall either- Beautiful wall.

i have been there several times and love it...I try to get to Cozumel at least 2-3 times a year and have found an excellent dive operation..they use steel 120's and steel 95's and our bottom times even going to 130' were averaging 70 minutes and thats diving devils throat...and the other caves..
i do think it is a more advanced dive..you have to know what you are doing..(in case something happens)but excellent place to go and it is far away..check out www.livingunderwater.com and hope you get to dive there next time
melissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom