Devils Throat TAKE LIGHT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did the Devil's Throat for the first time about 10 days ago (in fact, I was right behind BethJD). I had 2 lights; I think my husband had 3. I wouldn't have done the dive without them. It's not dark for long, but it is dark enough to get disoriented if you don't know the tunnel well. We were prepared for it, and it was one of the coolest dives I have done (the shark near the exit point was a plus) but I'm glad I waited until I had some experience and confidence before doing it.

I'm so glad your wife is OK, and still willing to dive after that experience.

Deborah

If its not out of line to ask, what was your wife's memory of this event? Will she continue to dive after this?

TexasScuba53:
. As they say, “stuff” happens and the bottom line is my wife’s alive! I’m not looking back and “what iffing” we had done things differently and this had not happened, although we did learn a number of lessons along the way. The only “what if” I’m looking at is if we did not have the caliber of DM and captain on the boat my wife wouldn’t be here.

I agree that "stuff" happens. "stuff" is being hit by lightning or having a cave/swimthrough collapse on you. Getting lost in an overhead environment in the dark comes into the "predictable" category rather than the "stuff" category.

I dont think Mike F was being accusatory,rather he has just seen this sort of thing too often.

Have enough divers do this dive in this way and sooner or later someone is going to get hurt,unfortunately it happened to be your wife. Doing this dive in doubles,following a line and having three lights someone would probably get hurt eventually,but it would be a lot less likely.

I have never been to Cozumel so I may be talking garbage here.(and I am not suggesting that Devils Throat requires cave gear either)

I am real pleased it turned out OK in the end,hope I never have to go through that.

TexasScuba53:
I'm grateful the majority of respondents understood the purpose of my posting. It's not surprising the variety of responses to a web posting. Most postings have been positive, thoughtful and appreciated although a few (1 above), have been accusatory and I'm compelled to reply. I did "demonstrably" rely on the DM, although not for our safety during the dive, but for a thorough and detailed explanation of the dive and what to expect prior to dropping in, which we were provided. I also had the confidence and trust in the event of an emergency, the DM could provide assistance, if necessary, which he did. As previously stated, I am extremely grateful to our DM and the DO for having the training and skill to save my wife’s life.

Most people that go unconsious underwater stay that way regardless of the skill of the person doing the rescueing. You and your wife are very lucky...just luck.

You did rely on the DM for safetry during the dive because your wife (buddy?) got in trouble and you weren't there.
We had dove several times with this DM and DO at 100+ft so there were no surprises in qualifications or air consumption.

No surprises at all?...It would seem that you don't have any overhead training and not surprisingly it shows. It shows even to the extent that you don't understand what the dangers are let alone what skills can be learned and employed to manage them.
This is not an exceptionally hard dive and, had I not the confidence in our DM and DO,

The dive is hard enough to have come very close to getting your wife killed.
I would not have dove it with them. As they say, “stuff” happens and the bottom line is my wife’s alive!

Yes stuff happens but how often do you really think something like what happened to your wife is going to happen to someone who is trained and equiped for the dive?
I’m not looking back and “what iffing” we had done things differently and this had not happened, although we did learn a number of lessons along the way. The only “what if” I’m looking at is if we did not have the caliber of DM and captain on the boat my wife wouldn’t be here.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and mine is that you should be looking back and what-iffing and that you haven't learned a thing. The attitude of you, your wife, your DM and your captain toward diving almost resulted in the death of your wife. This wasn't something that just happens or something that you can't avoid. Some really fun training that really isn't too hard and ptobably less expensive that a trip to Coz would have had the two of you slicker than snot in that little coral cave. You got lucky ...pure luck...and you don't see it.

Now just to avoid hard feelings and to be clear let me state my intentions here. I'm awful glad that your wife is ok and I hope that nothing like this ever happens to the two of you again. However, I don't want it to happen to anyone else either and pumping sunshine up your hind end isn't going to do anything to give anyone any reason to give this sort of thing any thought at all. This isn't something that just happened. It was predictable and due to a lack of skill and experience in the environment you were diving. You should expect problems on a dive and especially in a cave. In a cave, as in all other diving, most problems, aren't a very big deal provided that you're prepared. You weren't prepared... not even a little.

As supporting evidence I offer every cavern and cave diving text and training standard on the face of the planet.

ianr33:
I agree that "stuff" happens. "stuff" is being hit by lightning or having a cave/swimthrough collapse on you. Getting lost in an overhead environment in the dark comes into the "predictable" category rather than the "stuff" category.

I dont think Mike F was being accusatory,rather he has just seen this sort of thing too often.

I'm only being "accusatory" in so far as this...
Have enough divers do this dive in this way and sooner or later someone is going to get hurt,unfortunately it happened to be your wife. Doing this dive in doubles,following a line and having three lights someone would probably get hurt eventually,but it would be a lot less likely.

I have never been to Cozumel so I may be talking garbage here.(and I am not suggesting that Devils Throat requires cave gear either)

Cave gear? Well if she was following a line she wouldn't have tried to squeeze out through the ceiling. That's like "rule one2"of cave diving, to have a continuous guide line to the surface (or at least to open water). The OP stated as a "lessoned learned" that you should carry a light in Devils Throat. In a cavern (where you never leave the lighted zone) we carry two lights. In cave (where we do go into the dark) we carry three. From the sounds of it, there is a short period of darkeness on this dive so a diver should have three lights. Lights, of course are great, but you have to know what to do with them...I know, it sounds silly but try it in a real cave in the real dark when there's a real problem and see how it goes.

Since you are dealing with "dark" and other potential causes of a loss of vis you should be praticed at managing problems and following lines without being able to see...touch contact communications...of course that assumes that you aren't going to run off and leave your buddy in the first place.

My wife and I cave dive together. We've had a few minor snafus and we "what-if" all the time. OW where you can shoot to the surface is one thins (not that shooting to the surface is a good approach but it's common) but in an overhead that isn't an option.

This thread is the exact perfect example of what can happen. As far as I'm concerned it's absolutely text book and you don't see that very often.

Mike, it's not the content of your post but the tone. I think there is a way to get your great points across without pouring salt in his wounds. No, you should not shine sun up his gromit and tell him all is ok and he seems to have learned his lesson, not sure that's the case, but a bit softer approach will get more results from him, I would guess.

As someone said, a light was not his big problem, but his lack of buddy skills to his wife. It's not easy for a person to come on this Board and admit some mistakes and ask for advice. I wish we could be helpful without the scorn. MVHO

pilot fish:
Mike, it's not the content of your post but the tone. I think there is a way to get your great points across without pouring salt in his wounds. No, you should not shine sun up his gromit and tell him all is ok and he seems to have learned his lesson, not sure that's the case, but a bit softer approach will get more results from him, I would guess.

As someone said, a light was not his big problem, but his lack of buddy skills to his wife. It's not easy for a person to come on this Board and admit some mistakes and ask for advice. I wish we could be helpful without the scorn. MVHO
I was going to reply but my wife has advised it's not worth it!!! I have to agree......You know what they say opinions are like......and everyone's got one! I look forward to my next dive trip in March to Cozumel with my wife and the same DO and DM!!!

TexasScuba53:
I look forward to my next dive trip in March to Cozumel with my wife and the same DO and DM!!!
Will you be going to the Devil's Throat too? :huh:

MikeFerrara:
Most people that go unconsious underwater stay that way regardless of the skill of the person doing the rescueing. You and your wife are very lucky...just luck.

You did rely on the DM for safetry during the dive because your wife (buddy?) got in trouble and you weren't there.

No surprises at all?...It would seem that you don't have any overhead training and not surprisingly it shows. It shows even to the extent that you don't understand what the dangers are let alone what skills can be learned and employed to manage them.

The dive is hard enough to have come very close to getting your wife killed.

Yes stuff happens but how often do you really think something like what happened to your wife is going to happen to someone who is trained and equiped for the dive?

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and mine is that you should be looking back and what-iffing and that you haven't learned a thing. The attitude of you, your wife, your DM and your captain toward diving almost resulted in the death of your wife. This wasn't something that just happens or something that you can't avoid. Some really fun training that really isn't too hard and ptobably less expensive that a trip to Coz would have had the two of you slicker than snot in that little coral cave. You got lucky ...pure luck...and you don't see it.

Now just to avoid hard feelings and to be clear let me state my intentions here. I'm awful glad that your wife is ok and I hope that nothing like this ever happens to the two of you again. However, I don't want it to happen to anyone else either and pumping sunshine up your hind end isn't going to do anything to give anyone any reason to give this sort of thing any thought at all. This isn't something that just happened. It was predictable and due to a lack of skill and experience in the environment you were diving. You should expect problems on a dive and especially in a cave. In a cave, as in all other diving, most problems, aren't a very big deal provided that you're prepared. You weren't prepared... not even a little.

As supporting evidence I offer every cavern and cave diving text and training standard on the face of the planet.

This from " Tony Perez " of Careyitos Divers : There are old divers and there are bold divers but there are no Old Bold Divers. I know it's an old one but I think it bears repeating at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom