Diaphragm 1st stage regs you like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On another note, that reg brand mentioned earlier that offered open training for service.... deep 6 I think it was...and maybe HOG too. I poked around on their sites just a little, and found no mention of the class, cost, how it works/where to go for it, etc.... Not looking to do it right now, just curious.
I think that is done on an as needed/requested basis. @LandonL can speak to that.

@bradlw Since it is a TDI specialty course, it's kind of up to the individual instructor to set a schedule and do the training. They also set their own prices. We offer training at the warehouse, via zoom, trade shows, and there are other options like @rsingler here on SB.

I get the point.... and I can certainly see the advantage. Having an octo free flow when jumping in or when flipped over drives me nuts. I used to always adjust my 2nds to have just a smidge higher cracking pressure than what most folks consider "nice". Was never able to quantity the setting but used to just ask the shops to set it just a smidge harder to breathe...or would just tweak it myself later once I learned how to work on regulators.

On another note, that reg brand mentioned earlier that offered open training for service.... deep 6 I think it was...and maybe HOG too. I poked around on their sites just a little, and found no mention of the class, cost, how it works/where to go for it, etc.... Not looking to do it right now, just curious.

Can only share my experience. The adjustment knob has saved quite a few dives. It's comforting knowing I can always de-tune it if needed. Otherwise what do you do... pull the inline tool out on a boat and start messing with stuff? That doesn't sound like fun at all.

As to the class, I can't remember what I paid but I set it up direct with @cerich. That was when they were in person... I have a buddy that did it in FL w/ @LandonL. And from what I understand you can also do zoom now.

edit: welp, just about every ******* body beat me to it:rofl3:

The adjustment knob has saved quite a few dives. It's comforting knowing I can always de-tune it if needed. Otherwise what do you do... pull the inline tool out on a boat and start messing with stuff? That doesn't sound like fun at all.
I've heard of this from time to time, though have never owned regulators with adjustment knobs and haven't had any issues where "de-tuning" was ever a desire . . .

I've heard this from time to time, though have never owned regulators with adjustment knobs and haven't had any issues where "de-tuning" was ever a desire . . .
Just a guess here....but perhaps that has a little something to do with getting it set correctly....and what IS "correct"
...basically some people's idea of properly adjusted might need to be "detuned" a bit to reach the point of being "correct"
I can remember several times techs in shops bragging about how well they've tuned the reg based on how "easy" it is to breath...meaning the cracking pressure is basically zero gauge...just think about drawing a breath and the reg cracks open. That's the point of reference where I ask to "detune" the regulator just a "smidge"

Just a guess here....but perhaps that has a little something to do with getting it set correctly....and what IS "correct"
...basically some people's idea of properly adjusted might need to be "detuned" a bit to reach the point of being "correct"
I can remember several times techs in shops bragging about how well they've tuned the reg based on how "easy" it is to breath...meaning the cracking pressure is basically zero gauge...just think about drawing a breath and the reg cracks open. That's the point of reference where I ask to "detune" the regulator just a "smidge"
@Bigbella is just better at tuning regs then me, lol (and I mean that).

I tune mine to just before freeflow.. after running them for a few months I'll hit a dive where they start to bubble a little and I give them a turn or 2 and keep on keeping on. Mess with them later.

I made a very fast-pass attempt to list the mentions so far

BrandModelmentions
ApeksXTS2002
ApeksXTX501
ApeksDST3
ApeksDS41
AqualungConshelf/Titan1
AqualungCore/Helix1
AqualungLegend1
Deep 6Signature2
dive riteXT12
dive rite12081
DiveGearCustom D62
HogD1x1
HogD21
HogD31
Mares22/32/521
PoseidonXstream Mk32
scubaproMk193
scubaproMk175
scubaproMk112
ZeagleF82
ZeagleOnyx II2
ZeagleDS-IV/V1
ZeagleFlathead 71

Since I didn't see anyone mention this, Apeks XTX 50 is how Apeks labels their DST 1st stage + XTX 50 2nd stage combo (though it can sometimes come with a DS4, but less common). So your count for the DST should probably include the XTX50 mentions.

My cave instructor swears by Apeks and has tested them breathing side by side with the Dive Rite at extreme depth (~300 ft) and said the Apeks outperformed the DR by a mile. That said he still dove the Dive Rite regs during our course.

I think you would be fine with the Hog or DR 1st stages if self service is important to you. I dive HOG D1's and they work just fine for me, though I don't particularly care for the HOG Classic 2nd stages. If self service is not a high priority I would go for the Apeks DST with a 5th port. You can still get Apeks parts - it's just not quite as easy and they may not be OEM.

I've heard of this from time to time, though have never owned regulators with adjustment knobs and haven't had any issues where "de-tuning" was ever a desire . . .

I'm just a noob, but I noticed that one of my regs wasn't breathing as well as I'd like at about 80'. Picked up a DGX in line tool and reset it. It was a bit off. Set it aggressive, to where it bubbles a bit with the knob out near the surface.

So basically I never use all of my adjustment. Tried to get the reg perfect at 75% of knob adjustment. Someone mentioned tuning the reg with the knob right in the middle......

Can add more air at depth, if that ever happens again. I start the dive with the knob in, detuned I guess, to prevent annoying flows on the surface. And the venturi thing set to less air. Usually I move the venturi at the same time as clearing my ears on the way down, and the know next.

Running Diver Rite Xt1, Xt2 set for doubles. And a Yoke Hog D1, with a classic Hog 2nd, and a Dive Rite Xt2 on the necklace, for single tank.

MK17 EVO. Scubapro for servicing & parts.

As far as I can recall, most companies in the US were tighter than a frog's ass about their service kits and spare parts falling into the hands of the public -- ScubaPro, chief among them, tied as they once were, to some Byzantine "lifetime warranty" agreement, that few living now seem to understand.

Poseidon came in a close second, with a host of idiotic US distributors -- yes, Parkway, I'm thinking of you. Dealers couldn't even get service kits for a period of time (some shortage of teflon and rubber bands?); and we were flipping diaphragms, reusing sintered filters and HP seats, and scavenging o-rings for our own gear.

The wider DIY element is fairly new to the US, even though Harlow's grassroots repair manual was around as early as 1999 -- and he even covered those difficulties in obtaining OEM parts at the time. I was only able to obtain kits, from a shop where I had once worked -- and even then, passing the kits along was treated almost as illicitly as a drug deal, a small brown bag slid across a counter along with a cash exchange.

Now, there's a retail market for a number of manufacturers -- a real positive change that ScubaPro could eventually embrace, should they ever decide to leave the trees . . .
Maybe I watch too many cop shows, but you gave me a great idea about doing a spoof short film about criminals dealing contraban scubapro parts kits instead of drugs. Undercover SP cops sitting in cars across the street with binoculars watching a street deal going down with a MK25 kit/cash exchange. They all yell to “move in!” as the dealer and buyer run for their lives only to get cornered, put on the ground and hooked up. In the the interrogation room two detectives from SP grill the perp on “Where did you get them!?”, and offer him a deal if he rats out the shop or the source. Maybe there could be an episode where they get tipped off about a whole bunch of fake labelled crates on a ship coming from Italy with illegal Scubapro parts kits and there could even be some machine gun action.
This is what I feel like sometimes about how hard it is to get stuff. You have to find a “dirty” shop or have an inside guy. I think it’s hysterical when you really think about how silly the whole thing is!
I have a few genuine OEM kits I’m hoarding. I like to go out and take them out of the safe once in a while and just admire the fact that I have them.
I will never tell anybody my source since I protect it like the deepest secret I have.

Back
Top Bottom