Did I do something wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree in principle, although the depth as stated is 15 metres (approx 50 ft) and he isn't a dive pro yet, as I understand, he is in training.

But if you need to have your finger on his dump valve in case he freaks, then he really ought not to be in the water.

Thanks poor reading skills....15-20 meters is different than 30 meter depth. Still I hate to see babysitting on anything other than a "baby" dive.

I've once thumbed a dive because I didn't think my buddy belonged there. I've also once been buddied with a diver and after a two minute discussion suggested to the dive shop they should find him a new buddy ideally on a shallower dive.

Remember your buddy is carrying your back up gas supply, if you need to baby sit him past a ray, then what happens when you have a free flow at 60ft? Agree with Dumpsterdiver, this is a dive that shouldn't have happened.

I agree in principle, although the depth as stated is 15 metres (approx 50 ft) and he isn't a dive pro yet, as I understand, he is in training.

But if you need to have your finger on his dump valve in case he freaks, then he really ought not to be in the water.

That's correct, the deepest part was 15m (50feet) and I was not pro yet. When I said that I was holding his dump valve all the time it is to say that I was more looking at him and stay close to him in case something wrong happens, nothing else, and I guess that can be quick. He was just certified OW and not fully comfortable so I pay more attention than with my favorite buddy that have roughly my level.

For dumpsterDiver: So if shallow is about 10m (30 feet), we were shallow and I wouldn't go deeper in this situation (our two previous dives was a little bit shallower, 8m that's 26 feet). We were close to shore, our beach was just a bit farther than the site but it was possible to reach the shore near the wreck if needed. I was not waiting the local guide to turn the dive, otherwise I didn't care of my buddy's SPG and never decided to turn the dive at 80 bar for him taking into account the way back. More generally, due to the level of the people that was in our group, the basics of that dive was to me pretty simple even with beginners. Maybe my mistake but what to do when it is part of the training you have to do for the divemaster level?

Anyway, that's great to share this with you and read your feedback. There is a lot to learn from each situation and specially when nobody was hurt.

That's correct, the deepest part was 15m (50feet) and I was not pro yet. When I said that I was holding his dump valve all the time it is to say that I was more looking at him and stay close to him in case something wrong happens, nothing else, and I guess that can be quick. He was just certified OW and not fully comfortable so I pay more attention than with my favorite buddy that have roughly my level.

For dumpsterDiver: So if shallow is about 10m (30 feet), we were shallow and I wouldn't go deeper in this situation (our two previous dives was a little bit shallower, 8m that's 26 feet). We were close to shore, our beach was just a bit farther than the site but it was possible to reach the shore near the wreck if needed. I was not waiting the local guide to turn the dive, otherwise I didn't care of my buddy's SPG and never decided to turn the dive at 80 bar for him taking into account the way back. More generally, due to the level of the people that was in our group, the basics of that dive was to me pretty simple even with beginners. Maybe my mistake but what to do when it is part of the training you have to do for the divemaster level?

Anyway, that's great to share this with you and read your feedback. There is a lot to learn from each situation and specially when nobody was hurt.

You did a good job, sometimes you have to look over some of the replies here because you will be trying to figure out what they were reading, or did you miss something. Some people don't understand the anxiety that some divers have because it's not them. I dove with a guy who said he had around 100 ocean dives and had never seen a shark and didn't want to see one, and also said he was nervous the night before every dive. So it does happen. You guys made a plan and you stuck to it. You ended the dive without incident, happy, and your buddy was happy, that's all that really counts.

Sorry if it was too long evad. I tried to give all possible details even in a poor english :)

Just kidding around man. I'll go back and read it now that I'm awake...........sounds interesting.

Don't even consider a word dumpsterDiver said. You did everything exactly right. Sometimes you have to show some divers extra consideration. And because you can do this, follow a dive plan, keep tabs on air, alert someone when you are following the plan, shows me you're a textbook good DM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like you just described a typical, safe dive, where you planned ahead and dove your plan. You didn't penetrate, you turned at 80bar, you informed the guide that you two were turning back. Nothing wrong there. It seems like you'll be a good divemaster.

i agree you followed the plan and were in general a good considerate buddy. i agree that anyone who gives you hassles for following the dive plan should not be instructors, dms, or instructor candidates and should be told to go to...heck. i also agree that if you really had to have a hand ready to dump for your buddy at all times then he shouldn't have been there at all. y'all should have been in 20 feet doing buoyancy drills. anybody who needs that level of babysitting doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to be looking at a wreck.

I don't know what kind of water conditions you were diving in, or what kind of exposure protection you all were wearing. But I will say that a LOT of new divers here in Puget Sound have buoyancy issues, and as an experienced diver accompanying newbies, I have had to "help" vent BCs more times than I can count. In fact, even today, during an AOW class, I had to help a diver whose buoyancy got away from him.

If your max depth was 30 feet, I think that was a perfect kind of dive to have taken this fellow on, and it sounds as though you planned and executed the dive absolutely perfectly. If this had been a class, and the instructors or other professionals had been responsible for your buddy, then removing him without telling anyone would have been wrong. But as it was simply a fun dive and you two were a buddy pair, you had the autonomy to do what you needed to do with YOUR dive. And you even did the others the courtesy of warning them that you likely WERE going to leave before they did.

I have no idea why they were bent out of shape in this case, but they were wrong.

Can't see the problem either. I would have done the same although would express a little concern as to the level of "babysitting" your buddy required and the instructor that signed them off on their OW course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom