Did Scuba build your water confidence?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It didn't really make me more confident. I had surfed and body surfed for years before I got certified.
It DID teach me how to be perfectly....ok, ok, maybe not perfect...but pretty neutral and to be able to just hover over something or next to something. That's frickin' awesome. I never get tired of that. Not other water sport that I've done enables me to do that.

Not for me. I started swimming on a swim team about the age of 9 or 10. Then went on to swim on my high school swim team.

For me I think my comfort in the water is a big part why I love scuba so much and why my gas consumption even as a student has been so good. I just feel very comfortable and relaxed while scuba diving.

To the original question...

Nope, it was actually the other way around for me. When I certified I had been a lifeguard and lifeguard trainer for a couple of decades. Learning to dive, I think, was made much easier by those experiences I believe.

To the original question...

Nope, it was actually the other way around for me. When I certified I had been a lifeguard and lifeguard trainer for a couple of decades. Learning to dive, I think, was made much easier by those experiences I believe.

Sometimes it does work the other way around. For some they are natural water people. For me I would look at deep water like "Oh my God" But now I look at it and say "I wonder how deep and what the vis down there is"

Its just interesting as I am a person who not only works with students on their scuba ability but also on basic skills of swimming (I know I just learned but I do pass it along) Its neat to see people who cant swim a lick learn to float and then tell you how much they are appreciative of you. Its amazing when people conquer their fears and you are a part of it.

I sit and hear people say things like they are instructors there to teach scuba. If a person cant swim then they need to learn and come back. My question is why not make it an opportunity to make a little cash by charging a nominal fee and then watch them become your life long dedicated customer?

Did it? Yes. Where and when I went to school there were no Pools. I had no interest in swimming (you can only do so many sports). We sometimes climbed in the south of France, and floated around in the sea on our backs afterwards to cool off (but no swimming). On holiday I would happily snorkel (in wetsuit). After deciding to dive I had to learn to swim! but I have no real interest in it, and go to the pool once a week in the winter as a form of exercise.

I was 6 the first time I went off of a 3 meter board into 14 feet of water. My grandfather had taught me to swim the year before. He believed as I do that swimming is a life skill. If you let your kids around water and don't teach them to swim you might as well hand em a loaded gun and say look down the barrel.

Did diving build my confidence? No, but it humbled me a bit. I was a 'water rat', spending most of my time either swimming, on a lake boating and water skiing, jumping off cliffs or diving to the bottom to pick up rocks without MFS. So taking up diving in my early 20's was no big deal.
The humbling part came on one of the OW water dives. I was asked to fully flood the mask, pffft not a problem coach, broke the seal from the bottom to far and the rush of 50 degree water up the nose was very unpleasant. I think the ascent may have been a little fast. :idk:
Confidence is a good thing, cockiness will humble you.
I remember that event and my attitude, so I caution students with the same.

I grew up in the water and can not remember first learning to swim, maybe at 3? At 5 I was attempting to waterski with my Dads adult sized skis wearing tennis shoes so they fit. I swallowed half of Suttle Lake! My Dad finally realized I was not going to give up and bought me kids skis. Got up in one try and it was all good from then on.

As a lifetime water person I have no idea why I waited so long to dive. In 1983 I wanted to get certified but a reg cost $500 and a new car $5000. Diving was pricey, I was a broke college kid. I wanted to get certified but did not have the $$$. FF to the 2000's. Went snorkeling while in FL and decided to get certified before the next tropical trip. It's been close to a decade and I still love to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom