Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I failed.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I took the course before it was pass/fail

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool...I just found the description of the helicopter turn on the GUE website. That sounds tough. I can't wait to get in the water next weekend to try it out. Wish my bath tub was bigger...:D Not sure I understand the difference between the frog and modified frog. I"m assuming the modified frog means your feet are higher than your body.

be careful what you practice on that helicopter turn. I thought I was doing the helicopter turn before I took the class. Then I learned what the true mechanics of the turn are and I was doing it wrong. Now I have to retrain myself to do it correctly:( Might have been better off if I had not tried to get a head start on my own.

jbd once bubbled...
be careful what you practice on that helicopter turn. I thought I was doing the helicopter turn before I took the class. Then I learned what the true mechanics of the turn are and I was doing it wrong. Now I have to retrain myself to do it correctly:( Might have been better off if I had not tried to get a head start on my own.

I wish there was someone here to show me. Is there anywhere on the net that has video of this technique? I don't know why it's not on the GUE site. They have the other ones.

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I wish there was someone here to show me. Is there anywhere on the net that has video of this technique? I don't know why it's not on the GUE site. They have the other ones.
It is still hard to get the real picture from the videos, but it is better than nothing..

http://www.fifthd.com/classinfo/dirrec.html

The class I was in was pass/fail or experience at our discretion. We had signed up for the class prior to GUE's decision to have it be pass/fail but the class was held after the pass/fail went into affect so they gave us the option.

I took the class to enhance for my personal diving skills and knowledge and to see how this level of skill might be presented to OW students. I got everything out of the course that I was looking for and learned much more than I expected in that short period of time. I chose not to get the certification but was offered that opprotunity.

Cool...I just found the description of the helicopter turn on the GUE website. That sounds tough. I can't wait to get in the water next weekend to try it out. Wish my bath tub was bigger...:D Not sure I understand the difference between the frog and modified frog. I"m assuming the modified frog means your feet are higher than your body.

Regular Frog Kick - Basically uses the whole leg to great a wide, powerful kick.

Modified Frog Kick - Instead of using the whole leg, you just use your ankles. Your knees don't move in this one. It kind of looks like you are just twitching your feet. Good when swimming through tighter areas that don't allow a wider kick.

This is kind of hard to describe, maybe someone else can help elaborate on each kick.

These are the kicks I use, I'm not a big fan of the Modified Flutter.

My advise would be to practice the backwards kick before trying the helicopter turn. The reason for this is that with the helicopter turn you use the backkick with one leg and the frogkick with the other. The goal is to rotate yourself in such a way that your naval (=birth mark?) does not move. In other words you rotate with your center of gravity remaining on the same spot and you are NOT swimming around a spot (making a very small circle).

The backwards kick is demonstrated at the fifth dimension site (www.fifthd.com). It goes something like :
1. Start with your feet up (knees bend)
2. Push your fins with the bottems sides together while extending your legs.
3. Turn your fins back into horizontal position
4. Spread your legs with a forceful movement. You are using your legs and the sides of you fins to pull you back in the water.
5. Bring your feet back to the starting position.

I am certain others can (and will) comment when there are flaws in this description :D

The best would be to have someone who knows how to do it to help you practice on land.

Wim

I took the DIR-F class in late April with Sonya and RJ here in Seattle. While the class was not yet pass/fail, I did ask RJ if I would have passed the class. Both RJ and Sonya said they would have passed me but only because I'm local and they would have more chances to work with me in the future. If I had taken the class in Kansas (for example), I would not have passed. I couldn't remove my mask and stay neutrally bouyant. I've gotten a little better since but it's still my poorest DIR-F skill.

Jimmie

passed...

Great class...exciting...informative...well organized...challenging...

Money well spent on an all-around course...I don't care if you're tech or not, if you're newer to diving or feel like you have something to learn, DIR-F is a great class to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom