Didn't pass my mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Everytime I took it off and exhaled thru my regulator the bubbles would go right up my nose and force water up my nose. This resulted in me coming to the surface several times sputting and coughing."
Everybody has given you great suggestions. If its the bubbles from exhalation have you thought maybe a differnt reg would help? or mayby tilting your head so the bubbles move to the side of your face. My cousin had this problem it helped him when we went to the pool and just swam around with all the gear but a mask.

Hi Sandy, you got more information on mask clearing than I ever have heard. Dip you head in cold water bucket is only thing remaining. Relax and have fun. You will Pass your Skill Test.

I thank all of you for your tips and encouragement. I'm actually looking forward to my one-on-one with my instructor in a couple of weeks so I can go into this armed with a game plan. :) I actually stood in the shower last night with my face directly in the spray and forced myself to breath thru my mouth (I found a spot in the spray where I could get air) and out thru my nose. I found that if I didn't breath in entirely with my mouth that the water got enhaled into my nose so I put a stop to that pretty quickly and figured out how to shut off the connection between my mouth and my nose.

I'm ready to roll. I agree with the comment that at some time someone is going to kick my mask off my face so I thought I'd have my buddy 'surprise me' in a couple of times in the shallow end of the pool after I have my technique down so I can practice this from a 'surprised' angle.

I am so looking forward to getting certified so I can enjoy what's below the surface.

Thanks again for all the tips,

- artistsandy

Bonaire is where we're going in November with 50+ other people/divers from our dive shop. I do want to get checked out yet this summer so I don't have to do it when I get to Bonaire. However, I've also thought that Bonaire will be very clear and might be easier to do the checkoffs at.

Where did you stay in Bonaire and was the diving good?

- artistsandy

I'im sure you can get your certification Sandy, we all had our difficulties at first. I had difficulty with mask clearing during my training, but practice will make it all better. Its a skill after all, we just have to practice it every now and then...

Good luck!

-lai-

YOU CAN DO IT, my wife had a terrible time with mask removeal; she didn't give up and was so proud of herself after getting her ow cert. Never Quit......

Sandy...
I just passed my OWC this weekend. I had trouble with my OW mask removal too. I could flood the mask and clear just fine. But, removing it in open water was too much for me. I panicked.
I took everyone's advice including Walter's and tried each method. Here's what I thought worked best/worst.
1) YES: face down in water (tub, pool, sink) with a snorkel and practice breathing with your face submerged
2) NO: opening your eyes while removing the mask... you can't see diddlysquat!
3) NO: breathing out thru nose, I get confused worrying about getting my mask on and worrying about out thru nose in thru mouth is too much for me, tilt your head a bit to the side and reg bubbles won't bother you so much, but... i didn't get water up my nose at all
4) YES: visualize. close your eyes and think about each step. flood your mask gently from the top and say to yourself... breathe in and out thru the mouth, over and over.

I thought of how much time/effort/$$ I'd spent and how I'd have to throw it all away if I couldn't do this and that helped too. Also, I told myself that as long as I was breathing, I'd be fine. Don't try holding your nose, just flood, remove, take one breath, replace. YOU CAN DO IT. I had to do it in 48 degree water!!!!! I was petrified, but I practiced all week before and did it on my last cert. dive try :)

Angela

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom