Difference between scuba wetsuits and surfing wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just found a great surf shop that has 50% discount on their surfing wetsuits.

Unforunatly I don't surf, but can I use the surfing shorty for scubadiving?

Thanks..

Bob

As far as I can tell they are just lightweight neoprene suits that work fine for scuba as long as it provides the proper thermal protection, usually 3mm or less so we're talking warmer water scuba zeN

Check the closures on the necks etc.

I have a surfshorty and the big difference is that it doesn't close up entirely in the neck. Has some space left.
When surfing it's OK ,but when you dive ...there will be too much water there.

I have heard that the scuba stuff is made of a different neoprene that can withstand the continuous compression/re-expansion from diving to depth while the surf stuff doesn't have to be subjected to that... correct me if I'm wrong! :eek:

You are correct. Surfing and play-in-the-water wetsuits are usually made of foam that is a mix of CPR (chloroprene resin, aka neoprene) and other, cheaper resins, like SBR. These often make the suit feel very comfy and stretchy, but do not hold up to compression as well - they will both compress more at depth, giving less insulation, and break down quite quick when taken down deep.

So if you are going to be diving, and especially if you are going to be diving deeper than, say, 30' or so, you really want to have a suit made out of neoprene specifically made for divesuits.

squidguy once bubbled...
I have heard that the scuba stuff is made of a different neoprene that can withstand the continuous compression/re-expansion from diving to depth while the surf stuff doesn't have to be subjected to that... correct me if I'm wrong! :eek:

Thank you for that explanation, oxyhacker! I had been secretly wondering what the difference was as well, but had always bought wetsuits from LDS to be safe. But now I know--surfing isn't advised and there's a solid reason to boot. Cheers!

oxyhacker:
You are correct. Surfing and play-in-the-water wetsuits are usually made of foam that is a mix of CPR (chloroprene resin, aka neoprene) and other, cheaper resins, like SBR. These often make the suit feel very comfy and stretchy, but do not hold up to compression as well - they will both compress more at depth, giving less insulation, and break down quite quick when taken down deep.

So if you are going to be diving, and especially if you are going to be diving deeper than, say, 30' or so, you really want to have a suit made out of neoprene specifically made for divesuits.

I am so glad that I clicked on this thread. I am in the market for a wetsuit, since my old one shrunk :D .

With all that said I've done about 350 dives in my surf suit (Warm Water Diving). Surfed in it for 1 year (about 3 times a week) and done all the dives after that. Finally I've had to throw it away as my foot broke through the neoprene at the ankle so... for 50% off I'd get the surf suit if you are planning diving in the tropics

Cheap*ss wetsuits are fine for warm water diving. It's silly to spend $200+ for a 3mm wetsuit. I have 60 dives on one I got at Academy and it looks good as new except for the occasional bit of mud or dirt. I expect it to last at least another couple of years out of it so that should be 150+ dives for $75.

How much would the surf suit cost at 50% off ? Shortys can be pretty inexpensive to begin with alot of online stores range from 35 to 100 average around 55 just glanced at LP and didnt find a one over 100 bucks . so how sweet is 50% off on a surf suit ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom