Difference between scuba wetsuits and surfing wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another minor problem with surfing suits is zipper placement. Surfers lay down on their boards so the zipper is on the back for comfort. Exact opposite situation for divers. The zipper will be under the weight of your tank and pushing into you. This may not matter depending on your shape though.

Brent

I'm not so sure about special zipper placement considering I was in the shop yesterday and I saw 5 wetsuits made by "diving" manufacturers and all of them had zippers up the back. Pinnacle, Henderson, Scubapro, and Mares all have back zip wetsuits.

Yeah, I don't agree about the zipper on the back being a problem. I have an Oneill 7mm J-type wet suit (sold for diving) and it has the zipper on the back. It's been on a bunch of dives and I've never noticed the zipper with all the other gear on. I'm diving dry now in the cold months but I don't think most people would notice the zipper pushing into them.

YMMV.

I have done all my warm water dives in a Z.E.N. Zip wetsuit designed for surfing. Used it wakeboarding for years before I started using it for diving. It is getting a little rough, but still has life left in it. With a LIST price of $364 for a 4/3 it is on par if not more than most scuba specific wetsuits.

The neck not sealing very well is the quality of the suit. I have a really nice shorty (Guru) I use for wakeboarding (Was around $110), that seals quite well at the neck. You get what you pay for.

Lieutenant_Bob:
Unforunatly I don't surf, but can I use the surfing shorty for scubadiving?

I don't know if there are any major differences but I know that O'Neill made the jump from surfing to diving and their suits are AWESOME!

One more thing about surf suits...

Many surf suits use a conventional single needle stitch. Water will seep through the stiches which isn't a big deal for warm water. Most quality dive suits use a triple glued blind stitch where the stitch does not completely penetrate the material (done with hook-like needles). Nothing soaks through the seams.

In warm environments it might not matter.

tech_diver:
Many surf suits use a conventional single needle stitch. Water will seep through the stiches which isn't a big deal for warm water. Most quality dive suits use a triple glued blind stitch where the stitch does not completely penetrate the material (done with hook-like needles). Nothing soaks through the seams.

Most wetsuits of quality, that are stitched, are glued and taped to seal them. I have not seen one that is not taped. This is from O'niell's website on their Psyco wetsuit line, "200% Sealed:
When a needle is used to stitch neoprene in the construction process the tiny holes allow water to enter. Fluid Seam Weld (FSW) technology allows us to build product that is 100% sealed. Then, just for good measure we seal the other side of the seam giving you the ultimate in bombproof coldwater protection."

My wife dives occasionally in a 3mm surf suit by Body Glove. The seams look the same as their dive suits but the neoprene does seem a little less dense than the equivalent dive suit. I would say the biggest difference is that the neck enclosure is looser and has a smaller velcro tab for closure. It also has more panels than a dive suit (surfers want more mobility). She says it isn't as warm as a dive suit but it is good for warm water diving.

Incidentally, my dive suits are all back zip. In my opinion this makes them easier to take off. I don't have a problem with the zipper being against the tank.

hunter991:
Another minor problem with surfing suits is zipper placement. Surfers lay down on their boards so the zipper is on the back for comfort. Exact opposite situation for divers. The zipper will be under the weight of your tank and pushing into you. This may not matter depending on your shape though.

Brent

For bp/w divers this probably wouldn't be an issue since the plates are generally bent so that the part where the zipper is will not touch the plate. And even if the plate is flat there's generally still the center channel there for the bolts. With plate-less BDC's I think the soft design would cushion the back sufficiently where the zipper is.

Zippers on the back are only a problem with the cheapest of suits that have little in the way of protection between the back and zipper. It has never occurred to me to think of it as a problem, and every suit I've ever owned as had a back zipper.

Back
Top Bottom