"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the reason I dive. It's like a whole new world, and when you're down there, you don't think about your personal problems or whatever -- its just that one moment.

At our dive club, we have a fair amount of women divers, although there are more males. And these women, I know, were brave enough to try diving. I have tons of friends who are too scared of even trying it. So in my eyes, that separates them from other women.

As for being "different" from them, while I think they're brave, I think I'm braver. :all: LOL It could be in terms of diving, or of anything else (though there are some things that scare me!). I would go bungee jumping, skydiving, and do all these extreme things if I could. I love rollercoasters and the thrill of doing something I've never done before. But one thing I can't stand are creepy crawlies! I guess that makes me a girly girl in that aspect. :)

Several things I've noticed over the years.

1. Most women divers seem to instinctively recognize that "macho" is identically equal to "stupid" where diving is concerned.

2. Most women divers seem to pick up from the get-go that diving is not a competitive sport!

3. It's impossible for a lady (or man) to learn to dive without developing confidence in her own ability. I've seen several cases of AIDS (Aquatic Induced Divorce Syndrome) in women who were in marriages I would consider dominating &/or abusive who "threw the bum out" shortly after completing OW or AOW training. Self-reliance is a GOOD thing underwater, and above it too.

4. Many women pick up underwater hunting faster than most men. They have the patience to wait for the correct shot, and pick up on stealth stalking techniques much faster. Many are more accurate than males of the same experience level, and are much more resistant to the "buck fever" that can spook game fish and bugs.

5. Of course from my personal point of view lady divers are more sane and attractive than non-divers. At least we can speak the same language (most of the time anyway) and share similar goals.

if we're "lady" divers, does that make you a "gentleman" diver?

Divemistress, you may have stumbled on to a "cultural issue" here. Did you notice Fred's location? Yup, a Southern gentleman...in the "Ladies Room."

But, hey, you are in Robert E. Lee's backyard yourself.

He's a perfect Southern Gentleman! =-x

are you fer real in so cal? that's were i'm from. i'm a val!

see, i'm trapped here in virginia. but i'm not, like, no southerner. with none of this "manners" stuff. us californians are too laid back for that. ya know?

write back and let me know, okay? this is waaay cool!

judy

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Divemistress, you may have stumbled on to a "cultural issue" here. Did you notice Fred's location? Yup, a Southern gentleman...in the "Ladies Room."

But, hey, you are in Robert E. Lee's backyard yourself.

actually, before I moved here, I had been living in...Arlington, VA. Go figure!

raviepoo once bubbled...
There are many more female divers than there used to be.

Despite that I would say that I'm different from the "average" woman in many ways. The average woman is afraid of creepy crawlies and nasties. (Sharks, eels, works, snakes etc.) The average woman would piss herself jumping out of an airplane with a parachute on her back. The average woman wouldn't be caught dead with her hair looking the way mine looks after a day of diving. And forget maintaining a manicure if your hands spend a lot of time in salt water.

Wow, are you my twin? I spent the week at DEMA, then on the way home stopped at the dropzone!

And you can forget maintaining a manicure, but with a drysuit you *can* maintain a pedicure. :)

AquaTec once bubbled...
....it has been interesting to watch the type of peolpe who dive.

when i started about 1969 only buff, ex navy divers where diving
then it evolved to the macho man of the 70's
in the 80's guys wher getting there wives to do it wheather thay wanted to or not. amny of them where better divers too.
also you had the type of woman that how do i say [wished she was a man]....
also you had the type of woman that how do i say [wished she was a man]

what do you suppose this sentence actually means?

feeling very curious, but somewhat cautious,

divemistress
who has never, not even for one moment, suffered from penis envy :)

Back
Top Bottom