Digital Foci Photo Safe - no more laptop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good, but why not just bring a high powered light weight (< 3 lbs) notebook like a PC Vaio or Mac? A great deal of storage, plus editing software and the ability of transferring dive profiles from dive computers. Plus e-mail and web access.
Maybe for a longer trip, but I am usually only out for 5-8 days. I hate having anything extra I have to deal with at the airport, and they always want to check out my notebook computer. The Photo Safe fits into my camera bag, on my belt, or in my pocket. I don't have any need to see the pictures before getting home. I usually check them out on the LCD to decide whether or not to delete them right away... but other than that I can just check them out at full size at home. I'm not sure it would be all that beneficial, as most small (and cheap) LCD displays don't give very good color representation, anyway.

Sounds good, but why not just bring a high powered light weight (< 3 lbs) notebook like a PC Vaio or Mac? A great deal of storage, plus editing software and the ability of transferring dive profiles from dive computers. Plus e-mail and web access.

I've been considering going this route too. However, I'm curious. How many of you might consider transferring both photos and dive profiles? Depending on your logging habits, I could see running out of dive computer log storage space on a dive-intensive trip.

When I first bought my dive watch several years ago (Citizen Hyper Aqualand) I sprung for the computer transfer cable assembly and found the (for the version I had) null-modem to serial cable adaptor to do the computer transfer. Did it for maybe my first 10 dives after my AOW cert, and then just stopped...the logging software wasn't that great, although you could see the graphs of depth and temp vs. time, it really didn't "tell" me anything useful. When I got my dive computer later, I just didn't bother with the cable and downloading. I just make sure to do the paper logs each day, preferrably right after the dives (or at least scribble a couple reminder notes and detail them out at the end of the day). The computer shows an ascent rate icon that I can use to determine if I think I popped up fast during any part of the ascent, etc.

Personally I don't really feel the need to log profiles in a computer at all, and since I don't know of any computers that will log less than like 15 to 20 dives, the only reason to get that far behind in transferring the log over to at least a paper record is just plain laziness. Of course if you do want the full profiles, and are diving more than the record will hold in a single trip, then I see you would need a laptop not just a HD type device. And if I were going beyond simple recreational 130fsw and shallower diving, with simple Nitrox or air, then I'd definitely want to be logging everything!

I also have a Epson P-3000. It doesn't take XD cards so I download from the camera. You can preview RAW thumbnails on it but you can enlarge them. Even for it's faults I love it and can leave the wide screen laptop at home.

Can these units read multi partitions on a SDHC card? I'm planning on using a 8 gb HSDC card using CHDK for Canon 570IS. CHDK needs a FAT16 partition to run, 4+ gb needs a FAT32 partition. I want to put the CHDK files on a small bootable FAT16 partition, jpg,raw,avi on FAT32 partition. I'm afraid these units may only look at the first partition on the memory card which would contain no files.

Very cool. I'm going to check this out, but I think I'd miss not being about to view my photos and videos. We usually do that each night kind of like a half hour of really cool TV. Thanks for explaining this.

I've been eyeballing these things for a year or so and after reading this post, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite 120 GB. Yeah, it was more expensive than the Photo Safe ($349), but I like to look at my photos and show them to others while traveling so I could justify the extra $$$. Besides, the relief my back will feel at not lugging around my laptop is worth it. Can't wait for it to get here!!!

Can these units read multi partitions on a SDHC card? I'm planning on using a 8 gb HSDC card using CHDK for Canon 570IS. CHDK needs a FAT16 partition to run, 4+ gb needs a FAT32 partition. I want to put the CHDK files on a small bootable FAT16 partition, jpg,raw,avi on FAT32 partition. I'm afraid these units may only look at the first partition on the memory card which would contain no files.

I would specifically email tech support for any unit you are considering on this one - I would bet this will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer; I think your fear is very real. Could you make a bigger FAT16 partition (1-2 gbyte) to use for your current day dives, and use the remainder with FAT 32 for your archive/backup or overflow use?

Can you select which partition to use for data storage from the camera menu during the dive???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom