DIN to Yoke adapter keeps hitting me in the head!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Apeks. Phil (Dive Sports) threw it in with my AL order because he wasn't able to get the LX Supreme model any longer and had to substitute the plain LX (thanks for nothing AL ... cut off your supplier before you even officially terminate him as a dealer ... very nice ... such class!). It is very well made, but it is quite long. I may consider also getting one of the DR adapters. It would be good to have a backup anyway, and it's not that expensive.

mike_s:
I think the Dive Rite adapater was shorter. (it's also cheaper than the Aqualung/Apeks one and with the same number threads.).

I bought it instead and use it with an AL Legend LX and don't have problems with it hitting my head. (if it does hit, it's gentle enough that it doesn't bother me.)

Do you have any idea how much shorter it is than the Apeks adapter? How do they shorten it? Is it just a slightly different design?

mike_s:
I think the Dive Rite adapater was shorter. (it's also cheaper than the Aqualung/Apeks one and with the same number threads.).

I bought it instead and use it with an AL Legend LX and don't have problems with it hitting my head. (if it does hit, it's gentle enough that it doesn't bother me.)
I use the DR adapter with my MK25/S600 and don't recall any actual problems, tho I don't use it very often since I purchased my own DIN tanks.

Divin'Hoosier:
I have the Apeks. Phil (Dive Sports) threw it in with my AL order because he wasn't able to get the LX Supreme model any longer and had to substitute the plain LX (thanks for nothing AL ... cut off your supplier before you even officially terminate him as a dealer ... very nice ... such class!). It is very well made, but it is quite long. I may consider also getting one of the DR adapters. It would be good to have a backup anyway, and it's not that expensive.

heh... I got mine from Phil @ Dive Sports also. cool.

I got the Supreme LX also, but you're OK with the regular LX as there is not real difference in the two. The difference in the regular LX and the LX Supreme is only the mouthguard (which you can order seperately as a part), the ring around it is silver instead of gold, it has a plastic snowflake on it, and the itnermediate pressure is tuned back to about 135psi instead of 15opsi. Other than that, it's the exact same regulator that they market as a cold water reg. All other parts are interchangeable.

Divin'Hoosier:
Do you have any idea how much shorter it is than the Apeks adapter? How do they shorten it? Is it just a slightly different design?

When I bought mine, I put the APEKS and the Dive Rite one on the counter and gave it an "eyeball measurement". I'm guessing if memory serves me right, that it was about 1/2" to maybe 3/4" shorter, but not a whole lot. While that might not seem like much, it's plenty where hitting my head on it is not a problem. It's also lighter. The main feature is that it costs much less yet still has 7 threads (some DIN converters have only 5 threads). I think that MSRP for the Apeks was $79 and the Dive Rite was $42. Of course Phil won't let you get out the door buying that for list price either.... so I'm betting that I paid much less for it.

http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_reg_rg1225.asp
btw.. Dive Rite has changed their design slightly from what is shown in the photo. Mine is black and I think has a shorter thicker knob, which i found easier to grip.

one note: The Dive Rite one doesn't come with a "yoke" dust cap and the Apeks one does. But you can pick up a dust cap for $3-$6 bucks. You really don't need it if you use the DIN dust cap that came with your regulator, but I like having it on there so I don't have to take the convertor off during a surface interval when I'm not imediately putting it back on a yoke tank. (Of course you don't want to store your reg with the yoke convertor on there. it might promote corrosion if two slightly different metals touch each other after being in salt water ir maybe some salt crystals left on the threads.)

Hope this all helps.

-Mike

mike_s:
I got the Supreme LX also, but you're OK with the regular LX as there is not real difference in the two. The difference in the regular LX and the LX Supreme is only the mouthguard (which you can order seperately as a part), the ring around it is silver instead of gold, it has a plastic snowflake on it, and the itnermediate pressure is tuned back to about 135psi instead of 15opsi. Other than that, it's the exact same regulator that they market as a cold water reg. All other parts are interchangeable.

Yea. I wasn't too concerned as they are essentially the same regulator. If I end up doing winter diving (air temps <30), I'll have the local shop turn down the IP. Otherwise, no real difference between the two. To be totally honest, the real reason I was getting the Supreme is because I liked the look of the silver better than the gold. I'm so vain! I'm getting used to the gold, so no biggie.

mike_s:
When I bought mine, I put the APEKS and the Dive Rite one on the counter and gave it an "eyeball measurement". I'm guessing if memory serves me right, that it was about 1/2" to maybe 3/4" shorter, but not a whole lot. While that might not seem like much, it's plenty where hitting my head on it is not a problem. It's also lighter. The main feature is that it costs much less yet still has 7 threads (some DIN converters have only 5 threads).

That's actually a pretty significant difference. 1/2" can make a big difference when you're talking about the distance between the adapter and the back of your head. I just might have to go that route and use the Apeks as a backup.

Divin'Hoosier:
Yea. I wasn't too concerned as they are essentially the same regulator. If I end up doing winter diving (air temps <30), I'll have the local shop turn down the IP. Otherwise, no real difference between the two. To be totally honest, the real reason I was getting the Supreme is because I liked the look of the silver better than the gold. I'm so vain! I'm getting used to the gold, so no biggie.

Ha! me too! that's the reason I got the Supreme is because I liked the silver ring color better. That and it was a little different than everyone elses. Of course I had them change the intermediate pressure, but up for warmer water.

However, I've done a few "cool" water dives in the 60's with it and that mouth-guard I could tell it did keep your lips a little warmer than without it. After water temps got up in the 70's though I took it off.

mike_s:
Ha! me too! that's the reason I got the Supreme is because I liked the silver ring color better. That and it was a little different than everyone elses. Of course I had them change the intermediate pressure, but up for warmer water.

However, I've done a few "cool" water dives in the 60's with it and that mouth-guard I could tell it did keep your lips a little warmer than without it. After water temps got up in the 70's though I took it off.

But doesn't the lip shield make you look like you're sucking on a pacifier? :D

A month ago I did 3 dives in a quarry in OH and the temps ranged from 42-48. My hands and feet were a bit numb at the end of the dives, but my lips were fine. Goes to show that everyone is different. That and the fact that your blood is a bit thinner being in the southeast!

mike_s:

My wife and I have the Dive Rite adapters and I can't imagine it being any shorter to serve the function. We each dive DIN Sherwood Blizzards which are already long cylindrical things. On our few away dives so far on rental cylinders it was a non issue.

The Dive Rite version is also a nice looking sturdy item. No yoke dust cap included so pick one up.

Pete

I tried the DIN to Yoke adaptor but realized many of them only support pressure up to 200 bar. It is true for yours as well?
Or, there is no such thing as 300 bar adaptor?

Besides this, I tried the DIN to Yoke (or vice versa) Tank valve insert
e.g. http://scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=225&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=034135
(as suggested by some in this forum), I found it a cleaner solution;
well, if we go for rental tanks during vacation then I am afraid this may not be an opinion....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom