Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technical divers use DIN because they are using high pressure tanks that exceed the stated capacity of a yoke connection. Also the knob on the yoke could create a entanglement hazard or get damaged in an overhead environment. However using a DIN to yoke adapter also creates the same hazards.

I am not attacking you but o-rings don't just blow. If your o-ring blew then I am sure that neither you nor the dive op inspected the o-ring, which most divers are not in the habit of doing. Another reason is the yoke was not attached to the tank properly, it sounds foolish but it can easily happen on a rocking boat.

Ok, so it's safer then by your own admission.

To assume I didn't put my reg on correctly is insulting. You know what they say about the person who assumes too much? To also assume I didn't inspect the o-ring is ignorant since you don't know me. I have spare o-rings on me, so I do take the 2 seconds it takes to look the o-ring over on every dive. The issue was that the steel 100 rental tank was overfilled and I didn't drain it to acceptable levels since I had never had a problem previously. With a higher rated connection, the chances of the blown o-ring would have been decreased.

So to assume, there's that word again, that all tanks fills will be only to the respected limits would be a false assumption. In fact, when it happened, I posted asking if anyone else would have dove the tank and everyone said yes. Moving to DIN makes *ME* feel safer and that's all that matters and I don't really have to justify it any further than that.

Something else you may or may not have considered is local servicing. If your LDS does not service your chosen regulator it will mean mailing it out for service and repairs. If this matters to you...

Technical divers use DIN because they are using high pressure tanks that exceed the stated capacity of a yoke connection.

Your just shot your credibility all to hell. Yoke connections are rated to 3442 psi. Newer HP tanks are 3442 psi. Old ones are 3500, and not many folks use them. Lots of tech divers use LP 2640 psi tanks. Perhaps they cave fill them, but rarely over 3442. And plenty of tech divers use 3000 psi tanks. Most rebreather divers use aluminum bailout tanks at 3000 psi..........with DIN regs.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, to add one more point to the confusion, somebody once told me that DIN valve is considered better than yoke primarily because it offers greater mechanical security than yoke, which might be a consideration if, say, it gets banged against the wall of a cave or wreck. This gave me the impression that the "safety" of a DIN valve over a yoke valve lay more in the mechanical strength of the connection than in anything having to do with o-rings. Was I misled?

Hey, to add one more point to the confusion, somebody once told me that DIN valve is considered better than yoke primarily because it offers greater mechanical security than yoke, which might be a consideration if, say, it gets banged against the wall of a cave or wreck. This gave me the impression that the "safety" of a DIN valve over a yoke valve lay more in the mechanical strength of the connection than in anything having to do with o-rings. Was I misled?

Actually, you were given information by someone who really understands the DIN vs. yoke debate. The only advantage that DIN has is that they are mechanically stronger and can withstand more impact, something that in rec diving is not a major concern. The high pressure DINs are capable of higher pressures than the yoke but there are very few tanks in service that exceed the 4000 psi capability of the yoke....yes most are labeled with a 3000 rating but if you look around there are also plenty with a 4000 rating...I have several. Unless you have 4000 psi+ tanks and can find someone who can fill them, it's a mute point.
The belief that the oring is "captured" in the DIN is accurate BUT and this is the big but, the yoke oring is captured in exactly the same way. The DIN is not more secure or less subject to extrusion as many would have you believe. If you study the seal design of the 2 what you will find is they are identical except that the oring grove is located on opposite faces of the seal and the DIN uses a thicker oring. Some older yoke valves use the same oring as the DIN. The myth that they are less likely to extrude comes from lack of maintenance and heavier use that yoke orings tend to see. A DIN being attached to the reg means it gets replaced every year or so, rarely does more than a few dozen dives a year and the owner is much more likely to keep it in good shape. Since the yoke oring is attached to the tank and usually in a high use rental situation it is much more subject to abuse and neglect. Properly maintained privately owned yoke tanks rarely have extrusion issues since they see less use and a better maintenance routine.

Actually, you were given information by someone who really understands the DIN vs. yoke debate. The only advantage that DIN has is that they are mechanically stronger and can withstand more impact, something that in rec diving is not a major concern. The high pressure DINs are capable of higher pressures than the yoke but there are very few tanks in service that exceed the 4000 psi capability of the yoke....yes most are labeled with a 3000 rating but if you look around there are also plenty with a 4000 rating...I have several. Unless you have 4000 psi+ tanks and can find someone who can fill them, it's a mute point.
The belief that the oring is "captured" in the DIN is accurate BUT and this is the big but, the yoke oring is captured in exactly the same way. The DIN is not more secure or less subject to extrusion as many would have you believe. If you study the seal design of the 2 what you will find is they are identical except that the oring grove is located on opposite faces of the seal and the DIN uses a thicker oring. Some older yoke valves use the same oring as the DIN. The myth that they are less likely to extrude comes from lack of maintenance and heavier use that yoke orings tend to see. A DIN being attached to the reg means it gets replaced every year or so, rarely does more than a few dozen dives a year and the owner is much more likely to keep it in good shape. Since the yoke oring is attached to the tank and usually in a high use rental situation it is much more subject to abuse and neglect. Properly maintained privately owned yoke tanks rarely have extrusion issues since they see less use and a better maintenance routine.
I've seen plenty of yoke regs attached so that the mating end of the reg is not really aligned with the female part of the K-valve, and then the yoke is cranked down really tight to hold the gas. This is a recipe for an extruded o-ring, and for making it REALLY hard to unscrew the yoke! I've never seen a DIN reg inserted incorrectly....yes, sometimes they start cross-threaded, but you can't do enough of that to get them fully inerted and sealed.

I prefer real bacon over tofu.

That microwave bacon is pretty good too. Very quick to make a BLT. Basically, just the time it takes to toast the bread.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 04:19 PM ----------

Add apperantly the DC3 only has 1 HP port vs 2 for the DC1 :(

Sorry about that. I complained in the Hollis forum that their website lacks information about the ports on their first stages. Usually people only use 2 HP ports when they use a wireless air integrated computer and an SPG.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

Moving to DIN makes *ME* feel safer and that's all that matters and I don't really have to justify it any further than that.

You don't need to justify your equipment choices to anyone. What I called you out on was your statement that DIN is safer than yoke when you provide no evidence to substantiate your statement.

Also I never said that DIN is safer. I said DIN is preferred by technical divers for the reasons given. It may be safer IF the OP is diving is using high pressure tanks (although Kwinter says this doesn't matter) or diving in places with hard ceiling (caves and wrecks) or places where entanglement could be an issue (wrecks). When I say wrecks I mean wrecks not artificial reefs.

I am sorry you feel insulted over my reasons that o-rings fail. In my 20 plus years of diving those were the main reasons I seen o-rings fail: neglect and user error. You added a third one over filled tanks. However, I usually check a tank when I pick it up. Usually not for overfilling but for underfilling.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 04:39 PM ----------

Your just shot your credibility all to hell. Yoke connections are rated to 3442 psi. Newer HP tanks are 3442 psi. Old ones are 3500, and not many folks use them. Lots of tech divers use LP 2640 psi tanks. Perhaps they cave fill them, but rarely over 3442. And plenty of tech divers use 3000 psi tanks. Most rebreather divers use aluminum bailout tanks at 3000 psi..........with DIN regs.

My credibility? In this thread you say technical divers rarely fill their tanks over 3442 while in another you say it is common. You also fail to mention the other reasons I gave.

In addition, most (if not all) rebreather divers were OC technical divers first so they already have DIN fittings on their bailout bottles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom