Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelmadness

Contributor
Reaction score
I've searched the forums with no success.

Can someone give me a quick definition of Din and Yoke connections, and how I can tell what is what etc...?

Or can someone point me to a good place that explains this?

im not an expert but i can tell you that a din valve has threads on it that the reg threads into. a yoke reg has an oring and the reg goes around the valve and a knob on the back clamps the reg onto the valve. not the best description but its a start.

travelmadness:
I've searched the forums with no success.

Can someone give me a quick definition of Din and Yoke connections, and how I can tell what is what etc...?

Or can someone point me to a good place that explains this?

Left one is DIN, Right one is Yoke

The tank fittings are also different to suit.

R..

Another picture. First is DIN, second is yoke (here also called INT).
Mania

mania:
Another picture. First is DIN, second is yoke (here also called INT).
Mania

Thanks for the pictures.

So there are Din tanks and Yoke tanks?

Or are all tanks Yoke, and you need a Din adapter if you have a Din regulator?

tanks aren't din or int, but the valves on top. so you can use any tank and change the valve for example.

if you have a din or a yoke reg and the place you go on holiday has only either one there are adapters.

i don't know what's better, some are just more common in certain places. guess it's like asking if meter is better than foot. dunno.

Tanks are tanks. You can get a DIN valve or Yoke valve to screw into the top of the tank. When you go on vacation in the US or Caribbean, you will mostly see Yoke valves. An advantage of the DIN valve to DIN regulator connection is better strength of the connection-- better when you are using a high pressure tank or when you are diving in overhead environments. If you have a DIN regulator, and you go to a place with Yoke tank valves, you need a DIN adapter to fit-- usually not a big deal---

scubabamatxn:
Tanks are tanks. You can get a DIN valve or Yoke valve to screw into the top of the tank. When you go on vacation in the US or Caribbean, you will mostly see Yoke valves. An advantage of the DIN valve to DIN regulator connection is better strength of the connection-- better when you are using a high pressure tank or when you are diving in overhead environments. If you have a DIN regulator, and you go to a place with Yoke tank valves, you need a DIN adapter to fit-- usually not a big deal---

thanks everyone. think that cleared it up.

from my experience, Yoke is definitely way more common around here. (southern ca.)

travelmadness:
from my experience, Yoke is definitely way more common around here. (southern ca.)
Yoke fittings are more common in the U.S., but DIN fittings are not unheard of. Most places that fill scuba tanks, for example, will have at least one DIN fill whip.

Another common application of DIN valves is in tech diving. They're harder to unseat if you bump them on something, and are the standard for high pressure tanks. (No, I'm not saying yokes can't handle high pressure---please don't start that argument!)

Back
Top Bottom