Dining in Mexico aka....Help me settle an argument

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC Fedorczyk

Contributor
Reaction score
Question for all you folks who have been to cozumel before... I've got an argument going on with the girlfriend about how much money we're actually going to need for our trip when it comes to meals. I've been reading the board and collecting restaurant recommendations etc... We're staying in a condo with a full kitchen too. The plan is to make a trip to the supermarket and buy items for breakfast and snacks. plus beer and liquor for relaxing in the evenings. I would imagine that a majority of our lunches and dinners will be out on the town. We both like to eat and drink. We will be there for 8 days and 7 nights.

Now here's the argument... I think that 1000.00 dollars is going to be MORE then enough money to cover food and drink for the two of us with a ton left over. The girlfriend thinks that it won't be enough.

So all you folks who have been there before how much does a regular week of dining, drinking and fun cost you?

If you are eating reasonably but not overly cautious, I would think around $30 for lunch and $50 for dinners (excluding drinks). Are you only drinking at the condo, or are you heading out to the bars at night? That could cost anywhere from $10 to $100 per night (depending on your tendencies). Good news, with a Condo, Breakfast for the week shouldn't cost you more than $60 (milk, cereal, coffee, bread and butter). If you are planning several evenings of 'relaxation', a couple of bottles should cover it ... Are you planning the good stuff or is well tequila good enough for you? Figure anything from $10 to $50 per bottle .... Round number of $1,000 is probably in the ballpark - depends on your outside partying .... hope this helps.

$1000.00 / 8 = $125 per day for food.

*I* would like to think that is more than enough.....but also consider if you are going to be taking taxi's everywhere, that will cost additional $.

I would go to Chedrui and stock up on breakfast/snack stuff, some lunch stuff like you said, so at the MOST you are eating out 2 times a day, usually one (dinner). When we go, we stay AI, and I budget $40 a night for dinner in town and it works out great.

That should be enough. If not, there are ATMs and many places accept the ol' tarjeta de credito (credit card).

We found a place on Calle 6 and Avenido 5 called La Candela. I had a big breakfast while Jeff had big lunch with coffee and coke for $8/U.S. total. The food was great there and a bargain.

La Choza is a little more expensive but we loved that place too. El Moro is pretty reasonable and tasty. Also, Albino's had good fajitas.

We took taxis to and from the restaurants -- add 8 to 10 bucks for that.

Going to the grocery is a great way to economize.

JC Fedorczyk:
Question for all you folks who have been to cozumel before... I've got an argument going on with the girlfriend about how much money we're actually going to need for our trip when it comes to meals. I've been reading the board and collecting restaurant recommendations etc... We're staying in a condo with a full kitchen too. The plan is to make a trip to the supermarket and buy items for breakfast and snacks. plus beer and liquor for relaxing in the evenings. I would imagine that a majority of our lunches and dinners will be out on the town. We both like to eat and drink. We will be there for 8 days and 7 nights.

Now here's the argument... I think that 1000.00 dollars is going to be MORE then enough money to cover food and drink for the two of us with a ton left over. The girlfriend thinks that it won't be enough.

So all you folks who have been there before how much does a regular week of dining, drinking and fun cost you?

Actually, it's pretty easy. Eating and drinking will cost you just about what it would in the States for equivalent meals and libations. Sure, you can search for deals and get by pretty cheap, but for the most part it's pretty much the same.

Eat lunch at Las Palmas "Concina Economica" ave 25 and calle 3 we each had a big lunch with soup chips and salsa, beans and cokes for $15.. Dinners in a variety of places ran on average about $40 with beers. Except when we went to Pepe's Grill, that was a $100 for filet mignon for me and lobster for my wife, drinks and desert. The bananas flambe was excellent.

The farther you go from the waterfront, the better the prices, and there are some very good restaurants back there too! I'm terrible with names, but I just take a walk and drop in when I see a place that looks busy with locals.

Many places where locals go have "comida corrida" that is not on the menu, and that usually consists of a soup, an entree, a beverage, and dessert for about $4.

All the above advice notwithstanding, if you budget as if you were eating and drinking in a typical Stateside city (not New York or San Francisco), then you'll have it just about right. This is especially true if you are (as I take it from your post) going to Cozumel for the first time and having to figure it out as you go.

$1000.00 US should be plenty ! Of course, keep in mind cab fare to get into town (if applicable), are you planning top shelf lavish meals every lunch and dinner (which are available) and also extra tips for wonderful service (which very often will exceed your expecatations !). Check out the boards, Look for Christi's restaurant guide to get menu and price ideas. A Chedraui trip is a must for your breakfast, snack, beer and lunch needs. Heck, a Chedraui trip is a must just for the experience! Have a wonderful time in Coz! Sue B:yelclap:

I'll join the crowd and say that $1,000.00 should run about right. When we go we generally eat only dinners in town. Treat yourself right for one meal a day. Bargain hunting is tiring and you get all wrapped in trying to figure out if you are getting screwed somehow. Its better to look at the menu outside, decide if you like the choices, and then just relax and order whatever you want. If you start running low later in the week you can always start looking harder for the "bargains".

Back
Top Bottom