Dining in Mexico aka....Help me settle an argument

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For really cheep but great taco's go to El Foco (1/2 block south of Prima's on the square) Also Prima's for good pasta or steak at a good price. NEVER GO TO LOBSTER HOUSE (North of the airport) They charge $47.00 for one lobster tail. There are also some good cheap places on 30ave. I usually spend $100.00 per day on food and drink for myself. For a good place for cheep beers ($1.50) and a pool table and ping pong go to Corona Sports bar just north of Prima's on the square. The new owners are really nice.

I always take 500-800 USD and I always end up getting more. Unless you eat at Guido's, Kinta, Sorissi, Pepe's, etc. with 2-3 drinks each every night $1k should be fine.....especially if you eat lunch and breakfast in the condo. I eat at all of those places except Pepe's and usually have 2-3 drinks.

Now here's the argument... I think that 1000.00 dollars is going to be MORE then enough money to cover food and drink for the two of us with a ton left over. The girlfriend thinks that it won't be enough.

Depends...if she is a lush, she could end up drinking three quarters of it. I am guessing she is telling you to bring about $1,800 to 2,000? :D

I recommend bringing an ATM card and getting cash in pesos. Why carry all that cash going in. Ouch if you do get robbed or if you lose it.

Look on the bright side. Even though the dollar is doing piss-@$$ poor these days,you still can get about 10 to 11 pesos per $USD 1.

If you want good booze at low cost for condo consumption go to calle2 and 30th. Liquor there is much more reasonable than on the waterfront.

PS. don't let the lack of decor prevent you from trying the eateries on the east side of town. Many of these are family owed and they don't have much of a mark up for the food so decorations, carpeting, fancy wall coverings, glass, padded chairs, etc. are sparse. It's the food and price that keeps people coming back!

If you want to go somewhere a bit more upscale, try Primo Too. It's on top of the Wynston on the waterfront near chedraui. It is more expensive but it is excellent.

For me, MORE than enough.....you'll eat like kings, both of you.......(now saying this, I don't drink-----anymore)

We've done most of our trips spending between $60 - $80 per day for the two of us on meals. That getting our breakfast stuff at Chedraui (bakery goods, yogurt, etc.) and also getting cold cuts, etc. for a few lunches in. We frequent places like Sabores, Casa Denis, El Moro, La Choza, La Mission Parilla and usually at least one expensive meal out, someplace like Primas. We'll have a beer or two, or a Margarita (or two!) but nothing too excessive since we're diving. We'll also pick up a few nice wines to have back at our room as well. I'd say $1000 is easily enough - unless you do a lot of drinking, and that can add up fast.

As for cash - we bring some travelers cheques - easily cashed at the bank on the Plaza, and the rest we bring in dollars - ones, fives, tens & nothing bigger than a $20. Have never had a problem.

...Now here's the argument... I think that 1000.00 dollars is going to be MORE then enough money to cover food and drink for the two of us with a ton left over. The girlfriend thinks that it won't be enough.

So all you folks who have been there before how much does a regular week of dining, drinking and fun cost you?
Awright young feller, listen up here...
You're missing the point.
At this stage your move is not to argue, but to simply say "How much do you think we need to budget, sweetie?" (or whatever endearing sobriquet she's accustomed to...)
Take that much.
If there's any left over, buy her something nice... Silver's usually a good bet.
Any questions?
Trust me on this one.
:D
Uncle Ricky

Awright young feller, listen up here...
You're missing the point.
At this stage your move is not to argue, but to simply say "How much do you think we need to budget, sweetie?" (or whatever endearing sobriquet she's accustomed to...)
Take that much.
If there's any left over, buy her something nice... Silver's usually a good bet.
Any questions?
Trust me on this one.
:D
Uncle Ricky
SMART man!!! :rofl3: And for silver, MY favorite store is Los Cinco Soles on the waterfront ....:D

I've got an argument going on with the girlfriend about how much money we're actually going to need for our trip when it comes to meals.

Now here's the argument... I think that 1000.00 dollars is going to be MORE then enough money to cover food and drink for the two of us with a ton left over. The girlfriend thinks that it won't be enough.

First, your girlfriend is ALWAYS right! A hard but valuable lesson to learn. If you take too much money, it's not like you have to leave it there.

Let your lady decide where she wants to eat. You are on vacation and don't drag her around chasing a great deal. Get the Cozumel map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides and let her decide where to eat (I have learned that Perry and Laura do a very good job on their restaurant reviews). Your life will be much easier and the evenings much more pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom