DIR and cold water dives with long decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got to actually touch and feel a bts vest last night, and they're pretty mild in terms of the heat they deliver... I think I'm waffling back over to being interested in purchasing one of them...

Got to actually touch and feel a bts vest last night, and they're pretty mild in terms of the heat they deliver... I think I'm waffling back over to being interested in purchasing one of them...

How many watts are they? 25W is bare bones but still worth doing. 50W is a surprising amount. I have a homemade 50W vest and its roasty toasty. At this point I use it on the boat in winter. It puts out FULL heat running off the alternator and keeps me warm in transit. Starting warmer, I don't need it for ~60min dives.

How many watts are they? 25W is bare bones but still worth doing. 50W is a surprising amount. I have a homemade 50W vest and its roasty toasty. At this point I use it on the boat in winter. It puts out FULL heat running off the alternator and keeps me warm in transit. Starting warmer, I don't need it for ~60min dives.

I'm not sure, but I think its lower than 50W. I was wearing one on the surface last night under my 200g and i was fairly mild heat, but after about 20 minutes it was time to take it off. That seems about right to me. Doesn't fry you, but warms you up gently.

I have the Cozy Winters vest. It might shock you if you really totally flood, but I've had some substantial leaks that got the vest pretty damp and no problems. I will say that the electronics on it aren't very durable, though, and neither are the batteries.

I think that design is fine for recreational diving, where you can get out of the water if you need to, but I wouldn't use it for staged decompression diving.

I haven't even taken mine out of the box. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't really get cold with my 300g thinsulate undergarments. I'll likely pass on it for diving and use it for riding the motorcycle in the winter months.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom