DIR and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atticus once bubbled...
Just curious - when you talk about stealing someones mask - is this a cooperative affair, or are you pulling it off their head catching them unawares.

The general rule is that they will ask for the mask, but sometimes some of the top instructors like MHK & Andrew try to prepare divers that are going on to tech 1, so they "help" with jump starting a problem ;-) Very big grin ;-)

very well said as well, matthew...
very concise and straight to the point...=-)

Hi Guys...

Ever since I joined SB... I have been hearing about DIR and never understoud what the hype is about...

So I finally decided to educate myself and have placed an order for a DIR book from GUE... but I am not sure if I ordered the right one... I just want the book as I am not interested in taking the course (its not available where I am)...

I ordered Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving... is this the right book?

Has anyones computer ever suffered from narcosis, i know my brain has.

And how do us metrically challenged divers handle the 120 rule

ok im at 30m, so its 30 x 3.28 = 98.4 giving me 21.6 minutes'.

will stick to computer and common sence.

Though it has been an interesting thread, with some good points, i thought my ascents were pretty conservative but going to rethink my ascents from deeper dives in future.

Albion once bubbled...
Has anyones computer ever suffered from narcosis, i know my brain has.

And how do us metrically challenged divers handle the 120 rule

ok im at 30m, so its 30 x 3.28 = 98.4 giving me 21.6 minutes'.

will stick to computer and common sence.
You can come up with all sorts of relationships and "rules".

A good narc test is to do Charlie's Rule of 440 (130 for you metric types). 130/30m= 4.3. 4.3*4.3= 19 minutes NDL.

If you can calculate this in your head, then you aren't narc'd and can continue with your dive.

Since I prefer to watch the pretty fish instead, I bring a table and a computer.

Charlie Allen

p.s. An imperial example for 80' is 440/80=5.5, then 5.5*5.5=30.

The 440 (130) rule is a reasonable approximation of DSAT NDLs from 35' to 120' (12 meter to 36 meters).

coliseum once bubbled...

So I finally decided to educate myself and have placed an order for a DIR book from GUE...

Coliseum, the brilliance in your thought process is amazing. I'm serious.

Many times, people with lots of opinions somehow forget the concept of "educating themselves."

If this would happen more often, there'd be a whole lot less confusion.

I applaud your ability to look at the situation realistically and get the right information from the source.

Your action just put you in a very exclusive group of individuals who:

1. Are willing to accept that they already don't know it all.
2. Are smart enough to educate themselves from the source.

Seriously... Welcome to the "Top 10%" of cyberdivers. :)

P.S. You got the right book. :)

Can you order that book without being registered for the class? I plan on taking the class, but would like to read the text as well. According to GUE's site this book is only available for those registered for the class..

-Jeff

LocalDiver once bubbled... Can you order that book without being registered for the class? I plan on taking the class, but would like to read the text as well. According to GUE's site this book is only available for those registered for the class..

-Jeff
Go to the "Order GUE products" page and the book by itself is a bit below the package you've seen. $24US the last time I looked.

Back
Top Bottom