DIR and Smoking (Split from DIR Fin thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Drinking before dives is totally not DIR either. Drink, in moderation, only after your diving is done :wink:

I think all the agencies agree on that. For some reason when I'm on a dive trip (generally liveaboards), I have very little interest in having a drink.

Doppler:
Actually, elevated levels of low-density lipoprotein in one's bloodstream may well contribute to elevated risk of DCS. Certainly plaque build-up compromises blood flow. Couple this with issues relating to the general behavior of gases and lipids and I would suggest a pretty good case can be made that one can draw a direct relationship between "unearned" hits and cholesterol levels. And that one can say with some conviction that divers with high levels of cholesterol should dive conservatively.

As an aside, and in response to the original question, it is outside the privacy guidelines in Ontario for me to ask a perspective student if they smoke! Go figure...
All the more reason to have a certain standard of fitness...

menemsha43:
I think all the agencies agree on that.

You may want to go back and take a look at Rodales archives when Bret was heading up TSI/SDI and he published an article saying it was OK to have a beer or two before a dive ;-)

Smoking for a person over the age of 45, be it a pipe, cigar or cigarette is a trigger on the PADI, RSTC medical form. That is we (I’m a PADI Instructor) require a physicians sign off if a student over the age of 45 currently is a smoker.

So… GUE is not that far out for either recreational or technical divers. Smoking and diving just do not mix.

What about chewing tobacco? I realize it's pretty gross, but I know a few divers that chew (not while uw, of course). Gotta love VA, you'll see everything.

Seems to me, chew doesn't screw up your lungs and hemoglobin, but it does introduce toxins (nicotine) into your system. So far, I have only heard about smoking being a big no-no, because of the beforementioned issues. But nothing about smokeless tobacco. Any verdict on that?

menemsha43:
I wonder if they differentiate between cigar smokers and cigarette smokers?
Do they, this question wasnt answered?

what do you mean not chewing while diving, that is one of the best times. Though I do try to keep the syrup out of the reg in case I gotta donate it to my bud.

Bobby F:
what do you mean not chewing while diving, that is one of the best times. Though I do try to keep the syrup out of the reg in case I gotta donate it to my bud.

I'll admit that I might throw one in every now and then. But while u/w :11: That's a good reason to monitor my gas supply even more closely. Wouldn't want to get someone's "wint-o-green dip" Ugh <shudder>

Mike Loyco:
What about chewing tobacco? I realize it's pretty gross, but I know a few divers that chew (not while uw, of course). Gotta love VA, you'll see everything.

Seems to me, chew doesn't screw up your lungs and hemoglobin, but it does introduce toxins (nicotine) into your system. So far, I have only heard about smoking being a big no-no, because of the beforementioned issues. But nothing about smokeless tobacco. Any verdict on that?

I've wondered about this as well. I've seen a GUE instructor or two with a pinch of chaw between their cheek and gum..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom