DIR and Smoking (Split from DIR Fin thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize for the dip hijack, maybe this should spin off to it's own thread, considering that it's in a thread that was spun off from another :wink:

No one can really effectively argue the smoking thing, because it's such an obvious health risk. Even the smokers I know say smoking is bad, but they do it anyway. No one can say that smoking DOESN'T reduce lung efficiency. That's enought for me.

But chew...that's a whole different thing. I'm stumped. Discuss.

Chewing is a nasty habit that isn't good for you either, but I dunno if it has any specific effects on diving.

The reality is that Carbon Monoxide (from smoke) binds with hemoglobin more than 200 times easier than Oxygen. This kinda sucks for offgassing!
Smoking also destroys the surfactant that lines the bronchioles, which keeps the collapsed air passages from adhering shut, which can have the same effect of holding your breath.
Now I smoke the odd cigar so strictly speaking I assume I would not be able to take a GUE course. I still agree with their rule of not allowing smokers to partake in their courses!
Good on them!

jonnythan:
Chewing is a nasty habit that isn't good for you either, but I dunno if it has any specific effects on diving.

Sure it does.

It represents an unnecessary choking hazzard underwater, which is probably the last place you want to choke.

On top of that, if you use too much of it your teeth will rot out and you won't be able to hold a mouthpiece in place. :11ztongue:

Doppler:
As an aside, and in response to the original question, it is outside the privacy guidelines in Ontario for me to ask a perspective student if they smoke! Go figure...

Who'da thunk it? I figured only in the litigious USA something like that'd happen.

Derek S:
Who'da thunk it? I figured only in the litigious USA something like that'd happen.

Since I teach both sides of the border, I follow the most restrictive guidelines for the various instructor/student interactions and not suprisingly these are most often the State or Federal US ones... however, Canadian privacy and personal rights and freedom issues are very strong and occasionally it's the Ontario/Federal regulations that direct behavior.

jonnythan:
All the more reason to have a certain standard of fitness...

Yep... I suggest the general guidelines published by the US Marshal Service are a good start. They are age, gender and "fitness level" specific which makes them much better than any blanket standards I've seen.

I agree with MHK and the DIR crowd on this one. Decades ago, when I first started diving, I was a smoker. Fortunately I quit for good in 1975. I don't think I'd be in good health and able to dive as frequently as I do if I had continued smoking. If you're not concerned about the near-term effects of smoking on health and diving, you should be concerned about the long-term effects (unless diving is just a passing fancy).

Here in California I don't see that many divers who smoke. When I travel internationally, I am amazed at the number of divers (mainly European and Asian) who do smoke.

Dr. Bill

Mike Loyco:
What about chewing tobacco? I realize it's pretty gross, but I know a few divers that chew (not while uw, of course). Gotta love VA, you'll see everything.

Seems to me, chew doesn't screw up your lungs and hemoglobin, but it does introduce toxins (nicotine) into your system. So far, I have only heard about smoking being a big no-no, because of the beforementioned issues. But nothing about smokeless tobacco. Any verdict on that?
No matter which method you get nicotine into your body, it's a drug :wink:

From this site....
Nicotine can act as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body and causes a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. Nicotine also suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, which means that smokers are always slightly hyperglycemic. In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse-such as cocaine and heroin- and it is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations experienced by many smokers. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom