DIR Compliant Regulator Setup ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUEdiver:
Also, Diver0001, you mentioned that your regs are not DIR compliant since you can't take them apart underwater.
....snip....
But if you were told that in a class, please share some info so we can all benefit.

This information comes from the local DIR crowd. The DIR movement in the Netherlands is dominated by a few individuals who I believe view themselves as purists. Most of their interpretation of the standard configuration is documented on www.frogkick.nl, including this point.

The "proper" DIR regulators they list are:

Scubapro MK20-G250/G500/S600,
Apeks DS4 - TX 40/50 (and similar)
And Oceanic Deltas

They also mention that primary 2nd must be balanced and the secondary 2nd must not be balanced. The thing about taking the reg apart is something they mention if you have intentions of pursuing tek training (which applies to me so I fail on three counts--possibly taboo brand, can't take it apart under water, balanced secondary)

I have noticed that these opinions don't always correspond to the broader DIR movement or the teachings of GUE so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected. However; if you're going to become DIR in the Netherlands then it's really all-or-nothing and you will be confronted with these "rules" about gear. Divers who fail to comply to the satisfaction of the DIR "masters" here will be ostracized as you can see in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/t54333-.html

I don't feel free to say anything more about this publicly as there are also upcoming DIR divers in Holland who are doing their aboslute best and I don't want to insult anybody who doesn't deserve it.

In any event, suffice it to say that I have been ostracized but I am very happy with my choices of gear. :)

R..

Oceanic Deltas? They are DIR compliant? How and why?

How are they anyways? Anyone use them? The new Delta 4 doesn't look bad. What are they like compared to the Apeks and SP?

Diver0001:
This information comes from the local DIR crowd. The DIR movement in the Netherlands is dominated by a few individuals who I believe view themselves as purists. Most of their interpretation of the standard configuration is documented on www.frogkick.nl, including this point.

The "proper" DIR regulators they list are:

Scubapro MK20-G250/G500/S600,
Apeks DS4 - TX 40/50 (and similar)
And Oceanic Deltas
R..
wow DIR Witnesses, do they come round door to door to preach about this.

Interesting about the Delta's i have an old Halcyon catalogue which shows Deltas on all the single tank rigs, guess they were the dogs bollox at one time!!!

GUEdiver:
Also, Diver0001, you mentioned that your regs are not DIR compliant since you can't take them apart underwater. It is probably worth mentioning that this idea is more for the extreme side...like WKPP exploratory stuff. I have not heard a GUE instructor teach students to take a 2nd stage apart underwater, or tell them that they needed to get different regs for that reason. Some of those little extra "tweaks" are not necessarily part of the core teaching curriculum. :wink: But if you were told that in a class, please share some info so we can all benefit.

This is not at all an extreme thing. I've done it a good number of times to clear out duckweed, etc. Not long ago I was doing an easy stage dive where when I picked up my stage it was breathing horribly wet. I switched to my backgas, took of the cover and reseated the exhaust diaphragm, which had stuck open, and went back on my stage. Problem solved in <15 seconds. Considering the number of high performance regs with removable covers, why would you use a reg that doesn't have one? If you're not proficient at such an easy, essential skill, practice until you can do it. Just don't drop anything.

Albion:

Oh, they do ... and you should see the uniforms ... :eyebrow:

I've seen some of the stuff that comes out of that Website ... as well as their German counterparts ... those fellas take themselves WAY too seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Albion:
We only preach to the converted... :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh, they do ... and you should see the uniforms ... :eyebrow:
Note to self: bring uniform along for the Bonaire trip...

Laurens

Atomics are quite OK for DIR. As for stripping them underwater , Atomic even makes a cave kit !

This has been great advice. I plan on pursuing DIRF in the summer and have been adjusting my kit as money becomes available.

I am curious though, my LDS's have been looking at me oddly and quoted some steep prices for a nice stand alone second stage I would use as my backup. The thinking seems to be, either you are getting an Octo or you are getting both the 1st and 2nd stage.

Any recommendations? Anywhere online that sells just the 2nd stage reg?

Thanks again,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom