DIR-F Reel & Lift noob question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that's done, I have another question. I am looking into getting a back pad to attach to my plate. You know, the kind that is basically just a pouch that goes between my back and the plate to keep stuff in (like liftbags). Problem is, my BP is DiveRite, and all of the back pads I've seen are either made by Halcyon or OMS. (I've attached pics of both of those.) Does anyone know if the attachment holes will match up for either of these?

Mike

PS-maybe I should just start a new thread for this question? I'm hoping to keep my threads to a minimum

Mike Loyco:
Thanks for all of your advice. I spoke with my instructor about this, and have decided to purchase a Halcyon Defender Fingerspool (delrin) with 150' of line and a DiveRite liftbag with 50lbs of lift. I think this will allow me to complete the class successfully, and allow me to use it in my next stages of diving. If I'm lucky, I can get them both for just over $100 total. Thank you all.

Mike

hi Mike..
the new halcyon's spool is nice... however, I have used the diverite bag before, and I didn't like it; it went on eBay instead. I am not implying that you have to go with all halcyon gear, but I have tried a lot of different bags, and nothing else I like. everybody on my team that I know of shares the same opinion. seriously, do it right the first time and get the good stuff, even though it may cost a few bucks more, you won't be sorry.

if you dive drysuit, get the close circuit 4.5ft tube. if wet, then open 60lb OC bag.

dam_b01.jpg
or

rhea_cayman02_084.jpg

I owe and used them both and loved it. I will most likely be auditing your class, so I'll see you there, and if you wish, you can try my bags before you buy them.

-Vadim

Mike Loyco:
Now that's done, I have another question. I am looking into getting a back pad to attach to my plate. You know, the kind that is basically just a pouch that goes between my back and the plate to keep stuff in (like liftbags). Problem is, my BP is DiveRite, and all of the back pads I've seen are either made by Halcyon or OMS. (I've attached pics of both of those.) Does anyone know if the attachment holes will match up for either of these?

Mike

PS-maybe I should just start a new thread for this question? I'm hoping to keep my threads to a minimum

I know for a fact that OMS and Halcyon backplates are compatible in regards to those holes for the storage pack. however, looking at the Dive Rite pics of their backplates, the holes are not aligned the same way as on OMS or H plates, so I think you are out of luck on that one.

VTernovski:
hi Mike..
the new halcyon's spool is nice... however, I have used the diverite bag before, and I didn't like it; it went on eBay instead. I am not implying that you have to go with all halcyon gear, but I have tried a lot of different bags, and nothing else I like. everybody on my team that I know of shares the same opinion. seriously, do it right the first time and get the good stuff, even though it may cost a few bucks more, you won't be sorry.

Vadim,
Thanks for the feedback. Very good point. I have heard similiar opinions about just buying "H" from the start, and not needing to replace another purchase. I might just take you up on your offer to let me try out your bag.

BTW-what didn't you like about the DR liftbag?

Mike

on the DR bag, I really didn't like that long string line that was going down from the dump valve and through the loop and then was just hanging with the little ball. I thought the design is ridiculous and overengeneered for something as simple as a lift bag. Also the little D-ring was too small for the double ender to pass-through. you will learn in the class how to "connect" the line from the spool, and it's just made a lot more sense and was much easier to use with my Halcyon bag instead. Also that lanyards on the DR bags are WAY too long. just gives more chance for something to catch and snag when you shoot the bag.

For what it's worth, I have a cheap-o SMB and while it does work OK, it takes an oral inflation which seems to be harder at depth than the surface.
I opted for the smaller 3.3' Halcyon closed circuit and its very nice. Better built than the other. The inflator on the Halcyon has both the power inflator or the oral. Nice to have options.

lamont:
the 6' 52lbs SMB is huge and i can't imagine conditions around here that you'd need to use it --

You will if you should make it out to Neah Bay ... we ended up helping another boat find their diver ... who only had a 4' safety sausage (we were on a boat with a flying bridge) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmm, decisions decisions. I thought I made up my mind, but now it's changing again. I guess I need to think about this more. Thank yo uall for your input/advice. I can't wait to do it right.

I recently switched from sausage to yellow 40 kg lift bag as a standard smb. the locals thought I was nuts until they realised you can see it for much further. there is an interesting thread somewhere (maybe TDS) wheree someone tested and took photos of divverent SMB's over different distances, the thread started over the 12 lost divers in the red sea accident last year.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom