DIR-F Reel & Lift noob question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
I recently switched from sausage to yellow 40 kg lift bag as a standard smb. the locals thought I was nuts until they realised you can see it for much further. there is an interesting thread somewhere (maybe TDS) wheree someone tested and took photos of divverent SMB's over different distances, the thread started over the 12 lost divers in the red sea accident last year.
DIR DISCLAIMER DIR DISCLAIMER - non DIR response ahead but may be applicable depending on where you are diving

Some operators have a protocol that red/orange SMB is normal usage, yellow SMB means the **** just hit the fan.

Its always good to check if that applies, as you may suddenly find a bunch of safety divers descend on you :11: , of course if you feel that conditions are bad and a huge yellow bag is needed for you to be seen and get you rescued i think that would take priority!

Edit - clever old Scuba board, even tho i had numbers instead of letters in my profanity they picked it up :wink:

Albion,

Discussing protocol for bag shoots, pickups and such is VERY DIR :wink:. We consider the boat crew as part of the team, and should tip accordingly since they have to do all the work but don't get to see any of the pretty stuff :D

Mark

Mike,

Glad to see you signed up for the course. I signed up to take it in NC in June, but I will be travelling for work and can't make it. Anyways, I would definitely recommend getting a delrin finger spool. I have been working with them and find them much easier to use and control than a reel. I have a 150' and a 50'. Although you may need a 100' down the line, 50 will (or should) be fine for the course.

Definitely go with a bag over a little safety sausage. There are many on the market so its your choice.

I have yet to get out to Millbrook, but let me know if and when you are headed and if I can make it, I will let you try out mine to get a feel for the setup.

Marc

Thank you all for your advice. I bought the Halcyon Semi-Closed bag and Defender cold water reel. I took them out to the quarry last weekend to try them out. Turns out, I am very happy with what I got. My dive buddy just wanted to practise bouyancy around the platform, so I was able to shoot the bag several times with him watching with a line cutter, just in case. Then I reeled it in, and did it again, and again.

One thing I learned, the hard way, was not to leave the double ender clipped to the reel. :icosm12: I did this on my first attempt, and after about 15 feet unspooled, the reel jammed under the clip. The bag shot up and pulled me up with it. Man, it took off quick, and with such force! Luckilly, I let it go, and was able to ascent to unclip it.
The subsequent times I shot the bag it worked fine. It was actually quite a bit of fun, teaching myself some of the basics.

Mike

Mike Loyco:
Thank you all for your advice. I bought the Halcyon Semi-Closed bag and Defender cold water reel. I took them out to the quarry last weekend to try them out. Turns out, I am very happy with what I got. My dive buddy just wanted to practise bouyancy around the platform, so I was able to shoot the bag several times with him watching with a line cutter, just in case. Then I reeled it in, and did it again, and again.

One thing I learned, the hard way, was not to leave the double ender clipped to the reel. :icosm12: I did this on my first attempt, and after about 15 feet unspooled, the reel jammed under the clip. The bag shot up and pulled me up with it. Man, it took off quick, and with such force! Luckilly, I let it go, and was able to ascent to unclip it.
The subsequent times I shot the bag it worked fine. It was actually quite a bit of fun, teaching myself some of the basics.

Mike

These are the kind of details you will learn during DIR Fundamentals. On the dutch DIR site www.frogkick.nl you can view a movie how to do it. But that movie isn't perfect either:
- I learned to use the double-ender as a needle to put the line through the hole in the buoy
- at the end you see the diver clipping the line of to his D-ring. You should never do that. (imagine that a boat might sail over the buoy and pull it with him. In that case you will want to be able to let the thing go)

Mike Loyco:
Now that's done, I have another question. I am looking into getting a back pad to attach to my plate. You know, the kind that is basically just a pouch that goes between my back and the plate to keep stuff in (like liftbags). Problem is, my BP is DiveRite, and all of the back pads I've seen are either made by Halcyon or OMS. (I've attached pics of both of those.) Does anyone know if the attachment holes will match up for either of these?

Mike

PS-maybe I should just start a new thread for this question? I'm hoping to keep my threads to a minimum

A lot of people find the nuts and bolts kind of fiddly and they can have a tendency to come undone on their own. Zip Ties make a great substitute and would have the added advantage that the holes would not have to be in exactly the correct place

I have no idea if that is an official DIR method though

About the double ender on the reel, right after I did it, I remembered that someone told me NOT to do that. But that was too late, it already took off. Luckily I was in the local quarry, so I didn't have to worry about screwing up someone elses day. Just my own frustration. Can't wait until the class to learn it correctly.

For where to store the liftbag, I put 2 surgical tubing loops at the bottom of my plate, which works fine for stowing the bag until I need it. But I couldn't imagine trying to put it back there while underwater. I think the class will help with this too.

Mike

Hi Mike:

I have the DR backplate and the H-pouch. As others have said, the holes are not perfectly lined up, so I use Nylon ties to secure it. The holes are close enough so there is no "bunching", and with multiple tie-points, it is secure. Simply nothing to worry about.

As ianr33 said, I too have seen many people with loose nuts on the attatchment points. Personally I'd rather go with the proper sized Nylon ties regardless of fit.

Mike Loyco:
Now that's done, I have another question. I am looking into getting a back pad to attach to my plate. You know, the kind that is basically just a pouch that goes between my back and the plate to keep stuff in (like liftbags). Problem is, my BP is DiveRite, and all of the back pads I've seen are either made by Halcyon or OMS. (I've attached pics of both of those.) Does anyone know if the attachment holes will match up for either of these?

Mike

PS-maybe I should just start a new thread for this question? I'm hoping to keep my threads to a minimum

Mike Loyco:
About the double ender on the reel, right after I did it, I remembered that someone told me NOT to do that. But that was too late, it already took off. Luckily I was in the local quarry, so I didn't have to worry about screwing up someone elses day. Just my own frustration. Can't wait until the class to learn it correctly.

For where to store the liftbag, I put 2 surgical tubing loops at the bottom of my plate, which works fine for stowing the bag until I need it. But I couldn't imagine trying to put it back there while underwater. I think the class will help with this too.

Mike

Mike,
There really is no reason to restow a liftbag underwater. Most of us keep our bags in the MC pack (backplate pad). You'll find out in your class, but it is too easy to lose or entangle a bag stowed with surgical loops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom