DIR F This Weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkpup:
(Ok, it's a snow balls chance in hell, but I had to try... Delia will have hers down there on Saturday, so we'll have two. hehehe)

~ Jason

Actually, I think a snowball may have a better chance in Hell. :wink: I'm actually thinking about planning a morning scooter dive on Saturday up the hill...I just need to confirm if it's going to work. Have fun in Monterey. :)

Hey Chris,

Give 'em heck this weekend. I may be around to say hi. If so, I'll throw a slice of pizza in the water and watch you race the sea lions for it :wink:

HAVE FUN

CALI68:
Just wanted to get some words of wisdom and whatever before I go off to class this weekend.

I learned of DIR right here on Scubaboard, asked a million questions along the way (thanks Mo2Vation, Uncle Pug, Boogie711, Darkpup and all the rest), have been diving the DIR rig for a few months and now I'm ready to get schooled...literally! I'm very fortunate to be able to take it with a bunch of people I met right here (Mark Weitz, Mel Fox, Brian Gilipin and a few others). Class will take place in Monterey and our instructors are Joe Talavera and Delia Milron .

Can't friggin' wait! :)

Good Luck Cali and enjoy, I can't even imagine how you feel. I have to wait till June and I'm already dying. I don't even have a drysuit yet and I just bought a CC to try on. :11:

Thanks Guys! I just got back from a couple dives in Monterey and the new doubles are feeling great! I'm ready to go.

Jason, The Aluminum plate did the trick.

Chris,
You're going to dig it.
My daughter and I will be in Monterey practicing some skills drills and doing some fun dives.
We normally dive Monastary but BW works good for most drills.
When will you be there?
I'll be driving a large tan Chevy Crewcab Dually.
If you see me stop by and say hi.
Andy

Sure will Andy! All day thursday then class all weekend.

Jason, I had a 6 pound belt on and the aluminum plate...just perfect! Also Delia recommended that I loose the Gaiters...she was right...of course!

CALI68:
Just wanted to get some words of wisdom and whatever before I go off to class this weekend.

I learned of DIR right here on Scubaboard, asked a million questions along the way (thanks Mo2Vation, Uncle Pug, Boogie711, Darkpup and all the rest), have been diving the DIR rig for a few months and now I'm ready to get schooled...literally! I'm very fortunate to be able to take it with a bunch of people I met right here (Mark Weitz, Mel Fox, Brian Gilipin and a few others). Class will take place in Monterey and our instructors are Joe Talavera and Delia Milron .

Can't friggin' wait! :)

Keep your post-DIR/F post to a paragraph or two, and not a 27 rambling, prose-dripping self-adoring paragraphs. Single Spaced.... :11:

:eyebrow:

My thoughts:

* Be a team. Be a team. Be a team. When things start to fall apart down there (and they will task load you until you break) be a team... stick close to your buddy and keep the team in formation. Keep it together.

* When you hand your mask to your instructor, do not take a big breath.... you'll wind up doing a slow blind ascent and pop to the surface, and before you know it you'll find yourself looking down at your snickering instructor through his bubbles. Errr, not that this ever happened to ME in my DIR/F or anything...

* Post DIR/F - don't vanish. Most of the people I took my class with are no longer on the board, or moved on or whatever... I don't even know if they're diving anymore. Stick with it. Practice.

* Keep your light cord under your long hose... they love calling an OOA if they see you've got your light cord routed wrong... it becomes a tangled mess and your buddy dies, or is all up in your grill cuz you're passing off what USED to be a 7' hose... and is now a 3' rats-nest. Errrr, not that this (cough) ever happened (wheeze) to ME in my (2 times...) DIR/F or anything...

* Don't lie to yourself. Stay humble, and ask lots and lots of questions. I don't think you'll have issues with that part - but some do. Its not about drinking the Kool Aid - if there isn't a reason for something, throw the BS flag. Hack away until you get an answer... don't leave with questions in the table. We had a couple of DM's in our class, and it was an interesting dynamic.

* Make your instructors buy the beer. OK - so maybe you'll have a better chance of getting around the rope line in perfect formation your first time through than THAT ever happening... but a guy can dream, can't he??? :wink:

Have fun. This is supposed to be fun. If it isn't (if you, get pissed off and, say, toss your gear) you need to shake yourself. This is supposed to be fun.

I can't wait to read about it in a couple of short, succinct paragraphs soon!

Rock on, my friend.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Keep your post-DIR/F post to a paragraph or two, and not a 27 rambling, prose-dripping self-adoring paragraphs. Single Spaced.... :11:

:eyebrow:

My thoughts:

* Be a team. Be a team. Be a team. When things start to fall apart down there (and they will task load you until you break) be a team... stick close to your buddy and keep the team in formation. Keep it together.

* When you hand your mask to your instructor, do not take a big breath.... you'll wind up doing a slow blind ascent and pop to the surface, and before you know it you'll find yourself looking down at your snickering instructor through his bubbles. Errr, not that this ever happened to ME in my DIR/F or anything...

* Post DIR/F - don't vanish. Most of the people I took my class with are no longer on the board, or moved on or whatever... I don't even know if they're diving anymore. Stick with it. Practice.

* Keep your light cord under your long hose... they love calling an OOA if they see you've got your light cord routed wrong... it becomes a tangled mess and your buddy dies, or is all up in your grill cuz you're passing off what USED to be a 7' hose... and is now a 3' rats-nest. Errrr, not that this (cough) ever happened (wheeze) to ME in my (2 times...) DIR/F or anything...

* Don't lie to yourself. Stay humble, and ask lots and lots of questions. I don't think you'll have issues with that part - but some do. Its not about drinking the Kool Aid - if there isn't a reason for something, throw the BS flag. Hack away until you get an answer... don't leave with questions in the table. We had a couple of DM's in our class, and it was an interesting dynamic.

* Make your instructors buy the beer. OK - so maybe you'll have a better chance of getting around the rope line in perfect formation your first time through than THAT ever happening... but a guy can dream, can't he??? :wink:

Have fun. This is supposed to be fun. If it isn't (if you, get pissed off and, say, toss your gear) you need to shake yourself. This is supposed to be fun.

I can't wait to read about it in a couple of short, succinct paragraphs soon!

Rock on, my friend.

---
Ken

Ken, You never disappoint!

Believe me the post will be short and to the point. I suck at writing anyway! :)

-Chris

CALI68:
I love that episode! I always keep my sense of humor handy. :)

Hey Ben why don't you come down for a dive on Thursday?

Chris,
Thanks but I had to work to replenish the dive budget. See if you can find a Dawson's creek trapper keeper to put your paperwork in :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom