DIR F This Weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck and let us know how it went.

What will make it a great experience is GUE’s approach to diver education. An approach that is quite different from the larger agencies. These differences are not really the focus of most discussions of DIR. Here are some lessions I took away from my DIR-F class.

Intense: three solid days of classroom, pool and open water work. And long days with an instructor that is willing to spend morning to night with you and your group talking about diving. A lot of affect is generated during the class… this is both good and difficult. Use the affect to heighten the learning.

Repetition… you just don’t demonstrate basic skills once and move on. Each dive you get plenty of opportunity to practice your basic skills. You will get better during the course and then afterwards if you continue the drills. The use of the rope line is unique in diver education… swimming along it and being prodded to keep in formation to do the skills to keep in communication with other team members is a powerful learning tool.

Video… the use of video is also unique in diver education. It is used in other sports to show teams what works and what doesn’t. Looking at the video really shows you how you look underwater and what you are actually doing with respect to your own diving and the impact that you have on the team.

Equipment… you really do have an opportunity to focus on your gear, how it is set up and why. Other agencies seem to take what you have and work with you as if gearing made no difference…

Team building… you will spend a lot of time getting to know other team members and reminding yourself why you are taking the class.

Have a great time…

Class was AWESOME!!!!!! I took it in doubles and I got a provisional. My goal is to wrap it up by February 20th. I completed all the drills but they just want me to cruise around in doubles some more before I get the final nod. Very cool with me!

If you are even remotely interested in DIR take the course. No matter what happens you WILL become a better diver by day 3.

Also, If you are a DIR diver and have a few extra bucks, I would highly recommend doubles. After only 10 dives I don't even feel the extra "bulk" (except on the surface) and you get more rock bottom! I learned that in class :) Taking the class in doubles was great because if you have aspirations to go to doubles, they are there to help you through a tough learning experience.

Simply incredible! Thanks again for all the encouragement everyone!

For a detailed report go here:
http://www.sauedir.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3327#3327

PS Josh, I never got that piece of Pizza :11:

For those of you who don't know, I took DIR-F in December with Joe Talavera, and took it again last weekend. This time I did it in doubles and my wife did it as well in her doubles (she got certified 12/18/04, and has about 20 dives now.)

Chris,

It is so funny. I kept thinking about it last weekend, how different DIR is from the perception. How much fun we all had. What the focus of the class is, and how positive an experience it is. My wife had a blast and commented to me that it was what Open Water should be. A group of people focused on helping you improve your skills and increasing your enjoyment of diving.

Mark

mweitz:
Chris,

It is so funny. I kept thinking about it last weekend, how different DIR is from the perception. How much fun we all had. What the focus of the class is, and how positive an experience it is. My wife had a blast and commented to me that it was what Open Water should be. A group of people focused on helping you improve your skills and increasing your enjoyment of diving.

Mark

Too true! The instructors and the interns were among the coolest people I have ever met. They help you every single step of the way. Not one of them was a jerk or a fat head or any other bogus stigma that has been handed to DIR divers. It was simply an awesome experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom