DIR Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Based on some recent threads that have been going on, I thought I would start a new one regarding reactions to the DIR philosophy.

I know this topic can get emotions running high, so I would request that we keep this dialogue civil and constructive. I think we can all agree that the attitude exhibited by certain DIR-devotees needs some adjusting. I am more interested in discussing the overall philosophy and people's reaction to it.

This is what I am after:
- If you've adopted some or all of DIR, why?
- If not "100%", what parts did you decide not to adopt and why?
- Have you taken any courses? If so, which ones?
- How did these courses shape your impression of DIR? Did you adopt/emulate everything you saw/learned in your course(s)? If the answer is no -- why not?

Let the games begin!

:fight:

I'll go first. I am exclusively a single tank rec diver.

I use a long hose/bungeed back-up reg set-up. Having used it for about 25 dives now, I won't go back.

I still use a jacket BC -- just don't have the $$$ to drop on a BP/wings set-up at the moment.

I dive steel tanks (singles) with a wet-suit. In a singles situation, I don't feel this is an issue, especially when wearing a 7mm wetsuit and since the tank does not represent the majority of my "weight"

I use Mares Quattro fins. Again -- don't feel like replacing these because of the $$$.

I own 1 LP tank. The next tank I will likely buy will be an HP 120 (non-DIR). 75% of my diving is shore diving in rocky-shore New England -- there is no way I want to be hauling an LP 120 over the hills and rocks at the dive sites I frequent (much heavier than HP). I can also get decent HP fills. Also -- I am diving using thick wetsuits and even with an HP 120, the majority of my weight is still ditchable.

I own a pony (rigged as a stage) and will begin to use it for deeper (90-100 ft) dives for redundancy. I feel this "works" for me (vs. doubles) since I don't do a ton of deeper diving. I can practice with a pony easily on any dive I do -- shore or boat. I view doubles as too expensive and they add too much complexity to my diving. A pony keeps it simple for me. I don't use the pony to extend my bottom time -- just as redundancy.

I use a computer, but outline at least mentally the expected depth and max bottom time of the planned dive before I enter the water.

Have yet to take any GUE courses, but am considering the Fundamentals class.

Both "DIR" and "Rick's way" have their roots in the "Hogarthian" system. Mine is very similar but generally not quite as minimalist as strict "DIR" - I use a Transpac, for example, or one of several jacket BC's, decidedly non-"DIR." Sometimes I'll butt-mount my battery canister - not "DIR" - and I don't buy the reasoning put forward for using a long hose in open water. Indeed, I believe the decision to wear the long hose in open water was made before the "reasons" were dreamed up. I don't use the long hose in open water unless I'm doing it as part of a check for a new variation on my "restricted environment" rig, or if I haven't had time to change hoses from a dive where its use was warranted.
For those who want to restrict their options to strict compliance with "DIR" have at it. It's one of many good ways to dive - and it is certainly an excellent base - a point of departure. But it ain't fer me all the time.
Almost all my formal training predates "DIR," although I'm still (and I hope to always be) in training.
Rick

Originally posted by large_diver
This is what I am after:
- If you've adopted some or all of DIR, why?
- If not "100%", what parts did you decide not to adopt and why?
- Have you taken any courses? If so, which ones?
- How did these courses shape your impression of DIR? Did you adopt/emulate everything you saw/learned in your course(s)? If the answer is no -- why not?

Let the games begin!

:fight:

1. I've been, more or less DIRish for several years now, but have not completely gotten there yet. The biggest reason why I haven't completed it was making several mistakes using my own personal preference, thereby wasting a ton of money. It seems like everytime I tried doing something my way, it worked out worse than if I just gone the DIR route.

2. I'll never be 100% DIR, as I'll never be doing WKPP dives. That said, I would comply with GUE standards very easily. I haven't closed the door to any DIR standard (exactly), but I just haven't completed it fully. I still need a dedicated bottom timer, a couple better regs, some better fins, and a few other minor things. Other than some minor things, I'm DIR.
Mentally, I'm about 95% there. I'll dive with just about anyone (who is relatively safe) on recreational dives, I'm not particulary against computers for recreational dives, and I'm not particulary anal about very basic solo dives.

3. No courses, just hundred of hours reading and discussing concepts with Irvine, JJ, and others. The Quest list in simply invaluable for this. I want the Cave 1 class and perhaps the Tech 1 class.

4. N/A

I have dove DIR in many different environments (ice, wreck, reef, deep, etc.), and it simply works flawlessly. I have yet to find fault in any part of the gear configuration and very little, if any, in the mentality. DIR is very adaptable within guidelines, and is really not quite as strict as some make it out to be. There's two DIR camps -- WKPP and GUE -- follow either one, you're good to go.

Mike

The very fact that I occasionally solo dive rules me out of
being absolute DIR, regardless of gear config.

I have a non-DIR knife (too big) that is the nads for cutting
1/2 to 1" line with one swipe. Also works quite well on monofilament line.

I have STRAPS (taped down) on my JetFins .. not springs.

I too use an LP(95) steel with a wetsuit but since it is shore
dives and I know I can swim it off the bottom I am not too concerned.

I dive with my wife who is not even REMOTELY rigged DIR
(but her gear is NOT dangling) so that eliminates me from
serious DIR consideration.

Let's see, what else? Oh, my regs are NOT "Apeks", and I
use H valves on a my single tanks. Can I reach the valves?
Yes, IF I place the tank CORRECTLY in the STA.

With all that said, anyone wanna dive with me?

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

With all that said, anyone wanna dive with me?
When do we leave?
Rick

You bet, GM! :)

I forgot to mention that I also use an H-valve (a bad H-valve at that) on my LP95 for recreational diving. This is another GUE v. WKPP thing -- GUE doesn't mind H-valves. I use double LP95's too which the WKPP doesn't use, but GUE doesn't mind either. Nothing significantly out of place though.

Mike

GM,

Hope to dive with you again as soon as things warm up or my wife approves the drysuit purchase, whichever comes first. At the rate things are going, spring will be here long before the drysuit ;-)

I am moving in that direction, but I most likely won’t get completely there. As far as the 100% goes, one thing that I have noticed is that there is a lot of verbage out on the web about DIR, but there is no way how much of what is being said is based on ignorance, spite, or the real story. Given that, I am interested enough in the methodology to go out of my way to organize a DIR Fundemantals class here this year. Get the word from horses mouth so to speak.

JoelW

The only way to really get the straight answer on strict DIR is from Irvine himself. He coined the phrase and basically has the final say on what is or isn't strict DIR. It's not unusual for him and the WKPP to change little bits and pieces of their procedures and what not from time to time. GUE's job is to sell it, and in order to sell it, they have to have a bit of flexibility (without changing the basic core principles).

If you want it from the horses mouth, get on GUE's Quest list and talk to Irvine and JJ. It's a bit more friendly there, and there's a whole lot less arguing going on than Tech Diver. Most people on Quest are seeking DIR info, not trying to argue the Da Man :D.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom