DIR Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
<Snip>
Oh, my regs are NOT "Apeks",
<Snip>
With all that said, anyone wanna dive with me?

Well now - I've been know to take extreme risks before :hehe:

so I guess that I would! (anytime!)

(as long as my knife is bigger than yours :hehe:)

My.02 - IMHO gear configuration does not make you a safe diver/buddy... Attitude makes a safe diver/buddy. Having said that I want to grow my gear into a more DIRish set up, but even faster I want my attitude to be more DIRish.

What is a "bad" H-valve? (cripes, I might be using one !!!)

L_Y is correct that GI3 is the man that coined the phrase and
directs WKPP therefore he decides what is DIR and what is
not DIR.

Looking forward to diving with any and all of you ASAP.

ps. I got's a pretty big knife ;-)

Well, a few years ago (before I knew any better), I bought a Genesis H-valve where the "H" part has the tilted up port (the K part doesn't). I don't have any idea what was going through their head when they designed it that way. Replacing it hasn't been a top priority for me as I don't use it much. Other than that, it's fine (uses a captured O-ring). I wonder if a Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, or Sea Elite "H" part will simply screw into it? Knowing my luck, it won't :).

Mike

I have been on the Quest list for about a year. But you know, you can read and read and read some more, eventually you need to see something up close and personal to understand it. So, good as the Quest list is, in my opinion it isn't a substitute a seeing DIR done for real for those of us who don't have a lot of tech experience to draw upon. So, Andrew G. is going to come and show a batch of us the whatfor. At that point we will be more able to decide whether or not to pursue DIR.

JoelW

I do not have the experience to rule out any philosophy at this point. My initial reaction to DIR was against it, but as I read the post on this board and speak to my OW instructor about his DIR diving I am becoming open to the ideas. However, at this time I do not dive DIR.

Some of the marketing needs work though.

Chad

I know this topic can get emotions running high, so I would request that we keep this dialogue civil and constructive. I think we can all agree that the attitude exhibited by certain DIR-devotees needs some adjusting. I am more interested in discussing the overall philosophy and people's reaction to it.

While it is true that on other boards, lists and newsgroups DIR *devotees* can be bellicose and turn a lot of folks off...

I would like to note ... for the record ... that often it is the attitude of the Anti-DIR *detractees* that is the source of the rancor on this board....

It is helpful if problems created in other venues are not brought in here as that really kills meaningful discussion before it even begins.

This is what I am after:
- If you've adopted some or all of DIR, why?
- If not "100%", what parts did you decide not to adopt and why?
- Have you taken any courses? If so, which ones?
- How did these courses shape your impression of DIR? Did you adopt/emulate everything you saw/learned in your course(s)? If the answer is no -- why not?

1. All because it is a package deal and it makes sense now that I see the rational behind the elements. BTW... too many folk think that DIR is about equipment.... it is much more... you can dress up in the uniform but if you don't have the training you can't even understand DIR much less be DIR. (forum change?)

2. I am... as far as I know.

3. DIRF, Tech1

4. DIRF showed me that DIR was the way I wanted to go and the way I wanted all my dive buds to go (5 of us took the class.) Tech 1 taught me that I really didn't want to dive anymore and that I should take up golfing. I have since recovered and never did take up golfing. I am trying to incorporate everything I learned and would not willfully omit anything.

This is not to be confused with mindless following...
I have put a lot of thought, energy and money into this...
But more importantly I took friends with me...
Their welfare made me very careful in examining the program.

Hey large_diver:

Your post is almost exactly the way I dive and we are in the same state. After reading your post I laughed because my next tank is going to be a HP steel 120. I already dive with the 100’s and yes a pony bottle on every dive.

Dive Safe ...................Arduous

"I think we can all agree that the attitude exhibited by certain DIR-devotees needs some adjusting."

Oh, Pleeeeeez...
Like Uncle Pug, I would somewhat disagree with this to the extent that it goes to non DIR divers also, and anyone, in any sport, or country, well you get the idea. If you are talking about George et al on Techdiver, hey, everyone who disagrees with him knows exaclty what to expect so I do not really see the big deal. It is a mosh pit of diving.

I have never seen George or any of the main divers make a statement that they could not backup with great amounts of technical data and experience.

"This is what I am after:
- If you've adopted some or all of DIR, why?
- If not "100%", what parts did you decide not to adopt and why?
- Have you taken any courses? If so, which ones?
- How did these courses shape your impression of DIR? Did you adopt/emulate everything you saw/learned in your course(s)? If the answer is no -- why not? "

I have a few pieces here and there, but since "true dir" would have so many little pieces as dictated by George and WKPP diving it would be hard to be 100% and not with that team.

I can't think of much I have read that I do not agree with. I am planning in the Fund class in a couple months. It is easy to just see the config part, but DIR at its heart is holistic approach to diving, starting with attitude.

I have never read anywhere about someone who took a GUE class and did not like it.

The WKPP accoplishments vs. safety record speaks for itself.

Tommy

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
I would like to note ... for the record ... that often it is the attitude of the Anti-DIR *detractees* that is the source of the rancor on this board....

Hey Uncle Pug,

As you have been on this board only a couple of months, I will cut you some slack here. You don't have the entire history of what’s been said to help you out. I do not dislike DIR as a holistic approach to diving... I just disagree with the fundamental premise... That ya'll do it "right" which implies that all others do it "wrong". I have been flamed by the DIR advocates for what I believed... yes, I was even called an "accident waiting to happen" and was told to "not be a stroke". Yes, on this board.

You see, there are some DIR advocates who like to call others names instead of resorting to reasoning. I would have to say this has abated quite a bit since the summer, still some wounds are hard to heal. BTW, kudos to those who changed their demeanor (and really, you just might NOT know who you are). I do find that sometimes DIR divers believe what is coming out of certain people's mouths a little too easily. Indeed, we had our own discussion where a theory had been given as a fact, and it was proved to be false. And, I know where that theory came from for I had heard it before from one of the DIR divers who had just finished the course a couple of years ago. It was not the misinformation that I found as disturbing as the vehemence with which it was defended. Because someone said so, does not make it so (sorry LY, but I am not talking about you...).

So while I applaud the efforts of DIR to determine the Best Practices for diving, I am loathe to the amount of blind faith and jingoism I see portrayed by some of the devotees. It reminds me of a joke about a certain religious sect... please, do indulge me calling them "DIR" only in jest and to make a point...

So I died see, and went to heaven and St Peter came and met me at the Pearly Gates.

"Want a tour?" says he, Sure!" says I , and we proceeded to walk about heaven. He showed me the place where the Catholics were, and the Baptists, and the Lutherans... you name it, and all of the religions had a place... However he made me be real quiet as we approached a secluded place away fro all the others.

"Why do I have to be so quiet, St Peter?" I queried...

"Oh please, please don't make a sound" says he, "We are in the DIR section and they believe that they are the only ones up here..."

As I said in a previous post, we may dive differently, but I don't think anyone here is "Doing it Wrong". I never was, nor do I ever think I will be a critic of their teamwork, their diving attitude or their diving methods. I do not refute their superb safety record, and I agree that many DIR divers will have more diving experience in a year than I will see in my lifetime. Still, no one has all the truth, and those who think they know it all, really tick off those of us who do. Sometimes it -IS- the way you say it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom