DIR from the start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleJT:
A GUE OW course would be awesome, I'd have no qualms about driving 6 hours to Extreme-Exposure in Fla. for the weekend to do something like this.

- JT
I know I wouldn't be holding my breath. If I was you, just get certified by any old store and quickly try and find a mentor.

JeffG:
I know I wouldn't be holding my breath. If I was you, just get certified by any old store and quickly try and find a mentor.
Well, I am probably a couple months out before doing anything. I'd like to loose about 50 pounds before I start. heh.

- JT

UncleJT:
A GUE OW course would be awesome, I'd have no qualms about driving 6 hours to Extreme-Exposure in Fla. for the weekend to do something like this.

- JT
If you have no issues driving to EE you might consider going a little further to Ft. Lauderdale. Brownies in FTL does a lot of GUE training. Dean Marshall is the resident GUE instructor. They also do open water and I would think they probably teach an OW class that is DIR friendly.

I wish there had been a DIR when I started. Would have saved me over $1k. :(

UncleJT:

- JT

IF such a beast existed (and it doesn't, yet) it won't be a weekend course. The rumour mill says it would be several (7-10) weeks of 2x a week. Basically, you'd graduate with OW, AOW, Nitrox and DIR-F.

The idea is that DIR-F teaches you all the things "that any basic open water diver should already be doing." So a GUE OW certified diver would already be "those things."

Boogie711:
IF such a beast existed (and it doesn't, yet) ...
When I went looking on the GUE calendar for a DIR-F class this winter all I saw were ITC's for DIR-F, BOW, etc. So it sounds like there will eventually be GUE BOW instructors.

Boogie711:
...it won't be a weekend course. The rumour mill says it would be several (7-10) weeks of 2x a week. Basically, you'd graduate with OW, AOW, Nitrox and DIR-F.

The idea is that DIR-F teaches you all the things "that any basic open water diver should already be doing." So a GUE OW certified diver would already be "those things."
Its a good concept. So good in fact that other instructors are already teaching classes with those exact requirements. If you ask me, the more the merrier. :) H3ll, shame PADI, etc. into submission if you have to. :wink:

Boogie711:
IF such a beast existed (and it doesn't, yet) it won't be a weekend course. The rumour mill says it would be several (7-10) weeks of 2x a week. Basically, you'd graduate with OW, AOW, Nitrox and DIR-F.
Very impressive but that'd probably be a logistical nightmare for most students to figure out. I, for one, couldn't imagine commuting to High Springs or FLL 2x/week for 10 weeks. Wow. I bet participation will be low when first launched.

- JT

I might do this.

If GUE's openwater is not available yet (I understood it is not as yet), you might consider getting an openwater certified by one of the agencies, PADI, NAUI, and etc. There are good instructors out there. This way, you will know the basic underwater skills and be a certified diver. During the certification, you can use the BC jackets and standard reg setups, probably rental gears. This way, you will have some 1st hand experience with what is widely used by divers out there. When you actually go out and get your own gears, you will personally EXPERIENCE the advantage of the system rather than know it from other people's experience.

By the time you lost your 50lbs and have your gears ready, you can sign up for DIR-F.
This way, you won't have to wait till then (since GUE OW still might not be available yet). When I switched to BP+Wing and now DIR compliant setup, it was pretty instant and smooth.

Anyway, just a opinion.

Enjoy diving!!!!

UncleJT:
I've been a wanna-bee diver, snorkler only, for a number of years. I went to a PADI instructor a few years ago for my Open Water c-card but had issues with the dive center and trainer and didn't complete. I didn't complete partially due to these politics but to a job move as well. I've now settled down ub a part of the country where I won't be moving around every year or so and thinking seriously of finally becoming certified although I am not very interested in PADI.

I've always been an extremely technical-oriented person and tend to research alot of things to death. I know that once I start diving, my dives will quickly start taking a more technical path vs. a recreational diver. I've worked with reef fish professionally and as a hobby going on 10 years now so I'm not too impressed with typical tourist destinations. I'm sure I will be doing alot of diving in the Florida Keys now that I am living relatively closely to Florida. However, I'd be the type to spend more time at some place like Ginnie Springs instead. I now live only 4.5 hours from Ginnie Springs so I am very excited to start diving here. I've always loved the pics people share with me from here.

With that said, I am trying to figure out how I want to begin my certification path and with which agency. I know agency doesn't mean crap. However, I'd like to find an instructor who will let me learn with MY equipment of choosing. I know with a high level of certainty that I will want a Hogarthian style setup in the future so rather than learn on a traditional BC, I want to buy my own equipment first and learn on MY equipment with the wing. I've been to a few PADI only shops in the past who were completely arrogant and oblivious when I stressed that I wanted to LIR (Learn it Right).

I have been leaning toward NAUI or SDI for my open water so I can start getting into the water and probably move on to GUE. With SDI, I have the advantange of doing the classroom stuff on-line and then going to a dive center for just the in-water work and check out. I completed the PADI classroom stuff 3 years ago, and passed the tests, so the classroom stuff will be the easy part.

Anyone have any suggestions/opinions? Anyone know of any "technical" friendly dive centers/instructors in the Atlanta area?

I always appreciate all input.

Thanks

- JT

what's most important about diving is to have fun. Which means to actually dive, not to search for the perfect shop.
Also, I don't think it's any problem to switch to a BP/W or complete DIR setup after you learned on a regular BCD. Finally, gear is only a means to safe diving, not a purpose in itself.

So my recommendation is to find any decent local shop asap, finish the course in rental gear, and start getting dives under your belt, also in rental gear.

While you do that, you can look for other advanced courses, which are easier to find for people who are already OW certified. You will probably buy your own gear step by step, and will then have first hand experience rather than internet-wisdom. This may spare you expensive mistakes. Even in DIR, there are lot's of choices novadays.
And it'll be easier to loose your pounds, whilst diving. :)

d-s-f

Dropping 50 is a long haul and unless there is a medical contraindication you should consider beginning your dive career now.

As others have said certify and start diving.

If you want a BP/W setup no problem. As you lose weight you can cut down your waist strap. The nice thing about BP/W’s is that one size fits all… you only need to adjust the harness as you go along. Actually even the regs are not much of a problem. If you want you could start with a standard hose set up and later swap the hoses out for a long hose configuration. Just make sure to go with good quality (glass and brass) spg. You can use wrist-mounted gauges as well.

Just do it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom