DIR horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble blower:
Doesn't the horizontal ascent position also lend itself to better off gassing?

The only place that you can off gas is your lungs. My lungs are about 1.5 time longer than they are wide. The differencial for offgassing is minimal when compared to other criteria like proper hydration and slow ascents (IMHO) .

Of course, being horizontal looks cooler and allows you to take on a superiour attitude on the boat as well. :D

You'll gain better safety stop time comfortable and vertical and holding your depth than uncomfortable. bouncing in the water column, and horizontal.

Just dive safe, within your limits and remembering - it is supposed to be fun.

Ontario Diver:
Of course, being horizontal looks cooler and allows you to take on a superiour attitude on the boat as well. :D
Nothing looks cooler and has more smugness potential than slowly ascending the last 10' horizontal supine arms out to the side ( or alternately across the chest coffin style)... especially if you can really slow it down and make the last 3' take a full minute. :D

Uncle Pug:
Nothing looks cooler and has more smugness potential than slowly ascending the last 10' horizontal supine arms out to the side ( or alternately across the chest coffin style)... especially if you can really slow it down and make the last 3' take a full minute. :D

Onto the world's biggest waterbed.

Nice. The sublime supline.

K

Uncle Pug:

I've watched you do this and I finally figured why you do it. It's because when taking a nap you prefer a supine position. Me thinks that the last three feet in a minute are bit fast while snoozing! :wink:

Uncle Pug:
Nothing looks cooler and has more smugness potential than slowly ascending the last 10' horizontal supine arms out to the side

Should that be "prone", rather than "supine"? Or do you really do the last bit face up?

Good one, Pug !!!!

Hehehe...then there was the descent last September while inverted watching you having some minor ear issues. And the infamous "Deception Pass" sideways ascent, cause you are being blown sideways by the current so you ascend with your left side pointing upwards.

OneBrightGator:
What's the reason behind a horizontal vs. vertical ascent?

Ben

Drag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom