DIR horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontario Diver:
The only place that you can off gas is your lungs.

Really, that is shortsighted. Your various tissues must first transfer the inert gasses to your lungs where they "offgass" them. Most people use the term offgassing to refer to the entire decompression process and not just the "breathing out" of the inert gasses.

Ontario Diver:
You'll gain better safety stop time comfortable and vertical and holding your depth than uncomfortable. bouncing in the water column, and horizontal.

Holding on to that mooring line is even harder to keep your depth with 20knot winds above kicking the boat up and down 6 feet at a time. Sorting out your bouyancy and trim will greatly give you comfortablity and confidence in the water.

Tom R:
Holding on to that mooring line is even harder to keep your depth with 20knot winds above kicking the boat up and down 6 feet at a time. Sorting out your bouyancy and trim will greatly give you comfortablity and confidence in the water.

Totally agreed. All I am attempting to say is that you will offgas better if you are comfortable and calm rather than frustrated and/or worried no matter what your orientation.

As an extension of what Tom said you will find that sorting out your trim will go a long way towards sorting out your buoyancy. One of the primary reasons to not break trim at any time if possible it to not upset your buoyancy characteristics. For further explanation of this please see the old standby answer, "Please take a fundamentals course."

As far as taking care of your 6 o'clock (watching your back on ascents), this is your buddies job not yours. It's one of the reason why we try to face each other or maintain a view of your buddy if possible during ascents and descents. On descents to double check your buddies gear, etc, and monitor the status of the descent and on ascents to communicate stops, etc, and watch for issues your buddy cannot see both overhead and behind.

Most people use the term offgassing to refer to the entire decompression process and not just the "breathing out" of the inert gasses.
thanks, tissues is what I had in mind. May still be wrong, but that is what I was meaning in my question?

bubble blower:
thanks, tissues is what I had in mind. May still be wrong, but that is what I was meaning in my question?

Given that pressure gradients drive the decompression calculations in both dual phase and dissolved gas models we can probably assume that having a pressure differential between various tissues (head to foot) would likely complicate decompression... how much of a difference... I certainly don't know? Anyone?

d33ps1x:
As far as taking care of your 6 o'clock (watching your back on ascents), this is your buddies job not yours. It's one of the reason why we try to face each other or maintain a view of your buddy if possible during ascents and descents. On descents to double check your buddies gear, etc, and monitor the status of the descent and on ascents to communicate stops, etc, and watch for issues your buddy cannot see both overhead and behind.

Wow -- couldn't disagree more. I can see (and even agree with) viewing your buddy as a key redundant system, but as a primary system?

I think it is my job to be aware of what I am ascending, descending or swimming into.

I still appreciate it when my buddy informs me that I am about to swim face first into a lion's mane jelly.

bwerb:
Hehehe...then there was the descent last September while inverted watching you having some minor ear issues. And the infamous "Deception Pass" sideways ascent, cause you are being blown sideways by the current so you ascend with your left side pointing upwards.

Lol...that's what happens when I try and dive with a cold. :)

PatH:
Given that pressure gradients drive the decompression calculations in both dual phase and dissolved gas models we can probably assume that having a pressure differential between various tissues (head to foot) would likely complicate decompression . . . how much of a difference . . . I certainly don't know? Anyone?
I think the safety margins built into most tables and algorithms, to accommodate the range of individual physiologies and bending intangibles, could be an order of magniture larger than offset of a few feet from your depth gauge to your head or your feet. Also note that this offset stays constant, for the most part--your head can't ascend faster than your feet, after all.

In deco models, I understand that the word "tissues" has been replaced in most cases by the word "compartments." While the different compartment halftimes were originally inspired by ideas of physical tissues, they don't model real body structures, which are often composed of quite dissimilar tissues in terms of uptake halftimes.

I'm in no sense an expert on deco, so I welcome any corrections and clarifications.

Fin easy,
Bryan

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom