DIR in a city without DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>> As in you think that an instructor pursuing additional education to expand his/her own abilities and teaching ability are not "ideal" or that your LDS has rules in place against it?

>> Sorry - not actually trying to be facetious and maybe I just don't understand the "politics", but you apparently recognize that DIR-F would be beneficial to you as a diver (and thus make you a better instructor also)...just trying to figure out why you said what you did? <<

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. The politics I refer to are not those of the LDS but the agency, but perhaps I'm overly paranoid. During a presentation at my IDC, I once used a TDI equivalent depth table as a prop and you'd have thought that I'd loudly passed wind.

But maybe I don't give them enough credit. I'll have a word with my CD about it and see how it goes down.

doole:
>> As in you think that an instructor pursuing additional education to expand his/her own abilities and teaching ability are not "ideal" or that your LDS has rules in place against it?

>> Sorry - not actually trying to be facetious and maybe I just don't understand the "politics", but you apparently recognize that DIR-F would be beneficial to you as a diver (and thus make you a better instructor also)...just trying to figure out why you said what you did? <<

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. The politics I refer to are not those of the LDS but the agency, but perhaps I'm overly paranoid. During a presentation at my IDC, I once used a TDI equivalent depth table as a prop and you'd have thought that I'd loudly passed wind.

But maybe I don't give them enough credit. I'll have a word with my CD about it and see how it goes down.
Dan McKay is the only "local" instructor in Canada and he enjoyes travelling too :wink: email or call NTD in Kingston and discuss it with them. BTW, NTD is a Padi shop too :wink:
Here you can find his training schedule for Canada. Hope it helps.

kidspot:
Best wishes for sucess - of course you could always come and join us in Hawaii next month for DIR-F :wink:

Aloha, Tim

That sounds quite inviting, if not for that brutal plane ride. Just about a whole day of peace, love and bagged nuts.

doole:
That sounds quite inviting, if not for that brutal plane ride. Just about a whole day of peace, love and bagged nuts.

I hear ya there. I was going to attend that particular class, but the logistics of it just didn't work (Wife telling me I was not going to Hawaii without her, 2 days of full travel, did I mention my Wife telling me I was not going to Hawaii without her? :D).

I am going to be taking the DIR-F class soon (a few weeks to be exact), and I'm going to be travelling to my instructor. I'm lucky enough to live within a 3.5 hour (each way) driving distance to not one, but two GUE instructors. I'm just happening to be somewhere on vacation that week, and I figured I'd "kill 2 birds with one stone".

Check with Dan McKay at NTD. While I've never taken a class with him, I have met him and he's a great guy. I also make no bones about the fact that I have no preconcieved notions about this class other than I plan to go and learn. I don't care if I fail outright, because if I've learned just one thing to improve my diving, then it was more than worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom